New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I guess it depends on who they hire.  If you are meaning someone like Bill Cowher, I am iffy on that given he has never had GM duties and hasn't coached in 15 years.  If you mean another retread that has been a HC and failed, I am less excited for that and would just as much like a new HC if its someone like Saleh.  If it is a HC retread that was young, went back to being a coordinator and has improved, then maybe, but dont want another used up failed head coach that keeps getting chances.  

I'm kind of in the camp of retread who went back to Coordinating with success in the NFL or HC in college and has done well there. Kind of like Pete Carroll.

A coach like Andy Reid pre-KC would be appealing to me as well.  I think there is a big difference between someone like Andy Reid who built a team in Philly and stayed in the mix of things for a long time, including a SB over someone like Caldwell, who inherited a team, and they did worse with that team they inherited over time. There is a big difference there for me.

***Edit and no -- Jim Harbaugh does not qualify with these parameters.

Edited by LionArkie

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I guess it depends on who they hire.  If you are meaning someone like Bill Cowher, I am iffy on that given he has never had GM duties and hasn't coached in 15 years.  If you mean another retread that has been a HC and failed, I am less excited for that and would just as much like a new HC if its someone like Saleh.  If it is a HC retread that was young, went back to being a coordinator and has improved, then maybe, but dont want another used up failed head coach that keeps getting chances.  

Not just him. But also names like Brian Billick, Jeff Fisher, Tony Dungy, Urban Meyer.... but I’d rather have some college coaches rather than first timers in nfl like Dan Mullen and Lincoln Riley. I’d rather have the retreads like Jason Garrett, Dennis Allen, etc. 

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I'm kind of in the camp of retread who went back to Coordinating with success in the NFL or HC in college and has done well there. Kind of like Pete Carroll.

A coach like Andy Reid pre-KC would be appealing to me as well.  I think there is a big difference between someone like Andy Reid who built a team in Philly and stayed in the mix of things for a long time, including a SB over someone like Caldwell, who inherited a team, and they did worse with that team they inherited over time. There is a big difference there for me.

I agree but even then, Andy Reid type coaches are a rarity.  The way I saw it was Reid had a long and successful run in Philly but never got them over the top.  But he had a lot of winning seasons and just got stale for Philly.  I don't see many coaches like him that are available or will be available. Honestly the closest thing I could see to that would be Bill O'Brian who had a lot of good seasons and won some playoff games but as a GM he sucked, and I dont really want to jump right back into the NE coaching tree at this point even though it might be best for our roster.  I don't want to give guys like Chuck Pagano, Mike McKoy or Todd Bowles another chance.  I would rather take our chance to find the next Kyle Shannahan or Sean McVay than to do something like Washington did by hiring Ron Rivera or another coach that flubbed out.  

I could more easily get behind a college HC who has NFL experience, but I still feel that is super risky. Pete Carroll failed in the pros but then was super successful at USC. Not many coaches with pro experience outside of Saban have proven themselves like Carroll did to be ready for another job. 

12 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

***Edit and no -- Jim Harbaugh does not qualify with these parameters.

I’d rather have Harbaugh then these new guys, too

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He fits right in with Jason Garrett as those guys who likely are fired for failing and probably dont deserve another chance.  Harbaugh is exactly the type of guy we dont need IMO.  

Why don’t they deserve another chance? They’re both winning nfl head coaches. 

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree but even then, Andy Reid type coaches are a rarity.  The way I saw it was Reid had a long and successful run in Philly but never got them over the top.  But he had a lot of winning seasons and just got stale for Philly.  I don't see many coaches like him that are available or will be available. Honestly the closest thing I could see to that would be Bill O'Brian who had a lot of good seasons and won some playoff games but as a GM he sucked, and I dont really want to jump right back into the NE coaching tree at this point even though it might be best for our roster.  I don't want to give guys like Chuck Pagano, Mike McKoy or Todd Bowles another chance.  I would rather take our chance to find the next Kyle Shannahan or Sean McVay than to do something like Washington did by hiring Ron Rivera or another coach that flubbed out.  

I could more easily get behind a college HC who has NFL experience, but I still feel that is super risky. Pete Carroll failed in the pros but then was super successful at USC. Not many coaches with pro experience outside of Saban have proven themselves like Carroll did to be ready for another job. 

Yeah, i don't know who is out there right now who fits the parameters I set. But in a vacuum, that's what I want.  Selah is intriguing as a new coach.  Bieniemy as well, but I get nervous when it is the offensive coordinator in Andy Reid's offense. Andy Reid is the guru so I get a little leery.  However, Andy Reid's coaching tree is pretty good.

Just now, HashtagFTW said:

Why don’t they deserve another chance? They’re both winning nfl head coaches. 

Garrett had a couple good years but always seemed to underperform and drop the ball.  He may deserve another chance, but not 1 year removed from being fired for failing.  Harbaugh has been consistently failing and maybe its because he fits better in the pros than college but usually to get a secodn chance, you need to have done something since failing to get a second chance.  And neither of these guys have done that.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Garrett had a couple good years but always seemed to underperform and drop the ball.  He may deserve another chance, but not 1 year removed from being fired for failing.  Harbaugh has been consistently failing and maybe its because he fits better in the pros than college but usually to get a secodn chance, you need to have done something since failing to get a second chance.  And neither of these guys have done that.  

There’s too many moving parts in a college football program to use that as a meter of worthiness, imo. It is troubling that scUM fans are wanting him hung, but he’s a good football coach. 

and as for Garrett, I see what the Cowboys are doing now as evidence of he wasn’t the problem.