New GM and HC candidates?

HashtagFTW

2 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Man, I really want this guy to do well now that ESPN is trashing him and the hire.

Campbell is not an X's and O's guy in the way that someone like Patricia is. However, you don't have to be the "smartest guy in the room" to inspire people to buy in and follow you. There will be a learning curve and he needs experienced guys around him.

Patricia started off on the wrong foot and couldn't get buy in from the players and the whole thing went off of the rails. 

• Like 1

If this were a full rebuild, I'd have far more concerns with the Campbell hire. I just don't think it is.

If Campbell can add a few pieces this offseason while keeping course at key positions (Stafford, Golladay - if he doesn't want to break the bank-, and others), a motivator like Campbell could generate results immediately.

I think the Holmes hire makes a bit more sense now, too. You've got a guy that seems to specialize in draft talent acquisition, plus a coach that seems to motivate the players under him, with a talented roster. Let them each do their part and go win some games.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

If this were a full rebuild, I'd have far more concerns with the Campbell hire. I just don't think it is.

If Campbell can add a few pieces this offseason while keeping course at key positions (Stafford, Golladay - if he doesn't want to break the bank-, and others), a motivator like Campbell could generate results immediately.

I think the Holmes hire makes a bit more sense now, too. You've got a guy that seems to specialize in draft talent acquisition, plus a coach that seems to motivate the players under him, with a talented roster. Let them each do their part and go win some games.

I feel the opposite - it feels like they're gearing up for a rebuild or expecting a rebuild. 

There is a possibility that they're looking at a somewhat talented roster that was just deflated and in need of a shock of positive energy. Campbell was talking about what he saw when scouting the Lions as a Saint and he identified Jarrad Davis by name as someone that would "knock you on the chin" (or something like that, I can't find the article right now) and said he was playing out of position in the 3-4 they/we were trying to run here. So it seems like he is a JD fan. 

16 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I feel the opposite - it feels like they're gearing up for a rebuild or expecting a rebuild. 

There is a possibility that they're looking at a somewhat talented roster that was just deflated and in need of a shock of positive energy. Campbell was talking about what he saw when scouting the Lions as a Saint and he identified Jarrad Davis by name as someone that would "knock you on the chin" (or something like that, I can't find the article right now) and said he was playing out of position in the 3-4 they/we were trying to run here. So it seems like he is a JD fan. 

Found it.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/1/22/22244099/dan-campbell-says-players-on-lions-2020-disheveled-defense-looked-overwhelmed

Based on his scouting of the Lions for their Week 4 matchup against the Saints, he believes the team still hadn’t adjusted or learned the scheme completely.

“Let me say this: It almost looked like they were trying to figure out, ‘What world are we in right now? Are we trying to play this four-down, up the field? Are trying to two-gap? Am I trying to set an edge? Am I squeezing? Where’s the safety fitting?’ I just felt like it was a little disheveled. That’s all,’ Campbell said.

Campbell continues to say the Lions have the building blocks on the defensive side of the ball, even though he—and Holmes—have openly admitted that side of the ball needs more attention this offseason. Interestingly enough, the one player he mentioned directly on 97.1 on Friday was upcoming free agent linebacker Jarrad Davis.

“Davis, man. One of the first things I circled was if we’re running inside zone or we’re running our 42 ace, our lead draw, and you’re leading on number 40, man you better freakin’ be ready for him to drop his hat, and hit you right under the chin. He will literally split your chin open and knock your hat off.”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Yeah, I'd be shocked if he didn't like Davis. He's such a Campbell-type player: high intensity, fierce, team player/leader.

I guess we'll find out how they feel with how they approach the Stafford decision.

19 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Kyle Brandt suggested the new defense name should be "Damage Inc." as Campbell is a big Metallica fan. 

Sounds pretty good to me. 

Let them prove something before getting a nickname.  Right now, they are just the worst defense in Lions history and one of the worst in the league.  Unless of course by damage you mean damage the ability to win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Let them prove something before getting a nickname.  Right now, they are just the worst defense in Lions history and one of the worst in the league.  Unless of course by damage you mean damage the ability to win. 

Doesn't hurt to have something to build towards in terms of a team identity. It can only go up from here. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Kyle Brandt suggested the new defense name should be "Damage Inc." as Campbell is a big Metallica fan. 

Sounds pretty good to me. 

Only if the "Inc." stands for incapable. 

You see it's funny because our defense was incapable of causing damage... or stopping anyone.

Ok maybe it wasn't funny but our defense is bad and deserves no nick names.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Only if the "Inc." stands for incapable. 

You see it's funny because our defense was incapable of causing damage... or stopping anyone.

Ok maybe it wasn't funny but our defense is bad and deserves no nick names.

We have a new coach and a new regime. If you wanted to take this route with Quintricia still in the building, go for it. If Holmes can do what he did in LA for us in Detroit, we'll have an improved talent level overall. If we're able to get guys geared up to play and have competent coaches around Campbell, then we should be improved on the scheme. That should lead to more wins. We'll see what actually translates on the field.

They're just having some fun with the guy and don't know the severe emotional scarring that some in this forum have.