Week 12 GDT - Saints at Broncos

jolly red giant

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I couldn't help but get really irked at watching the Saints players consistently celebrate everything like they had won the Superbowl yesterday.

I mean, when I use my head and not my heart I realise that these players all have escalators predicated on performance and winning, so it was probably like Christmas for them. It's hard to win in the NFL and it's rare they get a chance to feast like that.

But, even still - yesterday was one of the most unique situations in NFL history and it felt a little classless to watching them still doing it long after the game was done.

I am probably just a bitter fan of a team that got pummeled. 

I agree with you.  I didn't like it when the would tackle a RB for a loss; it's like, you knew that is all the Broncos can really do is run, and you have stacked the line of scrimmage to force Hinton to beat you with his 9 passing attempts yesterday?  If I were Sean Peyton I would have told my guy no celebrating today.  

2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I agree with you.  I didn't like it when the would tackle a RB for a loss; it's like, you knew that is all the Broncos can really do is run, and you have stacked the line of scrimmage to force Hinton to beat you with his 9 passing attempts yesterday?  If I were Sean Peyton I would have told my guy no celebrating today.  

We're talking about the same coach who allowed bounties on players we serious right now?

I'll enjoy watching the Saints f up like they always do come January karma.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I couldn't help but get really irked at watching the Saints players consistently celebrate everything like they had won the Superbowl yesterday.

I mean, when I use my head and not my heart I realise that these players all have escalators predicated on performance and winning, so it was probably like Christmas for them. It's hard to win in the NFL and it's rare they get a chance to feast like that.

But, even still - yesterday was one of the most unique situations in NFL history and it felt a little classless to watching them still doing it long after the game was done.

I am probably just a bitter fan of a team that got pummeled. 

meh, i agree. read the room bro. team you're playing completed one pass lol 

First game of the season I wasn’t working during. What a complete embarrassment. Not from the team or especially Hinton. Really proud of the kid. But this league... 

couldn’t even push it back 1 day? Really? Gonna move 2 ravens games. Shows how little thought the nfl put into this.

when does hockey start back up?

• Like 2

I watched that entire game. Obviously it was a disaster, as we all assumed it would be. I am proud of Hinton though. Not an easy situation for the kid by any stretch, and he handled everything like a consummate pro, right down to the post-game presser.

All I can say here is that I think Denver needs to once again clean house on the coaching staff, top to bottom. Elway wanted someone to come in and hold players accountable for their performances in a way that wasn't being done under Vance Joseph. Fangio has done that defensively, but the offense remains putrid, and Fangio needs to accept some responsibility himself for the QB room mask fiasco.

At this point, I am rooting for the league to force a sale of the Broncos. It's become completely untenable. I think Denver needs a top down reset (removing Ellis, Elway, Fangio, etc) and starting new with new ownership. It's the only way anything is going to improve with this team.

56 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

First game of the season I wasn’t working during. What a complete embarrassment. Not from the team or especially Hinton. Really proud of the kid. But this league... 

couldn’t even push it back 1 day? Really? Gonna move 2 ravens games. Shows how little thought the nfl put into this.

Because of the league I am ok with the Broncos tanking the rest of the season if that allows the Broncos to get into the top 5 for a draft pick.  I liked what someone mentioned to just play all the rookies and bubble players from here on out to see get a jump start on the 2021 preseason.  I would also pay Simmons and let him sit the rest of the season too.  Eff it...keep Hinton in as the starting QB the rest of the season.  

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Yeah, I go back and forth with this.  I agree with Kareem Jackson in that the NFL used Denver as an example.  The league took a non playoff team, forced them to play and embarrass themselves to send a message to the rest of the league what can happen if they aren’t following protocols.

I am someone who believes the Ravens absolutely should’ve played Thursday and if not Thursday damn sure Sunday.  The Ravens clearly were not following protocols within that organization, but are getting the benefit of the doubt because they’re a potential SB contender.

On the flip side though, the Bronco QBs dropped the ball and the Saints shouldn’t be punished for that.

At the end of the day, I think it’s just another red flag on Drew Lock.  He’s a physically talented kid with all the physical tools to be a franchise QB that has a boatload of success in the NFL.  His lack of progress from year 1 to year 2 is concerning.  I don’t know if he’s actually improved on any area of the game and he has a better OL and weapons around him. He’s young and has room to grow, but I think he lacks maturity and professionalism.  Up to this point I think his NFL career has been one big act that has slowly been falling apart throughout the season.  Early on the on field antics and post game pressers were chalked up to a guy with confidence and swagger and considered a strength of Lock’s.  Now I think it’s becoming apparent that these are defense mechanisms for a guy who right now is just not a good football player.  Now throw in he just missed another game (that has to be around 10 in 2 years) because he can’t follow protocols, just a bad look for someone who, IMO, needs to be doing everything right to keep his job.

36 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Up to this point I think his NFL career has been one big act that has slowly been falling apart throughout the season.  Early on the on field antics and post game pressers were chalked up to a guy with confidence and swagger and considered a strength of Lock’s

He got caught on his day off watching film I think this is a little out of bounds to say he views his career as one big act.

Also last year he looked awesome compared to preseason can't say he didn't put the work in

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He got caught on his day off watching film I think this is a little out of bounds to say he views his career as one big act.

Also last year he looked awesome compared to preseason can't say he didn't put the work in

Not out of bounds at all.  He hasn’t been good.  He’s arguably the worst starter in the NFL.

I don’t know how you can use this game as an indictment of the coaching staff. The Broncos had been almost flawless with protocols, yet with one mistake, the NFL basically says **** you. The NFL doesn't give a damn about player safety. The decision to postpone a game shouldn't depend on how good a team is. If this happened to the Saints, they would have postponed the game.

That said, I'm not going to feel sorry for our QB's. Their carelessness put us in this situation.

All the players know the protocol. They chose to meet without any coaches. Let's not infantilize the players by pretending this is Fangio's fault. 

Edited by Joe_is_the_best
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Just so we’re clear: the Ravens couldn’t put together a roster large enough to safely play a game. The Broncos could. That’s the difference. I’m totally fine with how the NFL has handled these two situations, as long as the Ravens get penalized strongly, in terms of fines and loss of draft pick(s). 

Yes they could’ve.  Especially if they’d have played Thursday like they should have.

I have no issue with Denver’s game being played.  The Saints shouldn’t be punished for Denver not following protocols.  Same as the Steelers shouldn’t be punished because the Ravens can’t.

Even right now the Ravens would have 49 players to fill out the 48 active gameday slots to play the game.  This had nothing to do with not having enough bodies. 

If the game were tonight the Ravens could field a team with 2 QBs, 2 RBs, 7 WRs, 3 TEs, 7 OL, 4 DL, 9 LBs, 12 DBs, and a kicker, punter, and long snapper.

Edited by germ-x

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I watched that entire game. Obviously it was a disaster, as we all assumed it would be. I am proud of Hinton though. Not an easy situation for the kid by any stretch, and he handled everything like a consummate pro, right down to the post-game presser.

All I can say here is that I think Denver needs to once again clean house on the coaching staff, top to bottom. Elway wanted someone to come in and hold players accountable for their performances in a way that wasn't being done under Vance Joseph. Fangio has done that defensively, but the offense remains putrid, and Fangio needs to accept some responsibility himself for the QB room mask fiasco.

At this point, I am rooting for the league to force a sale of the Broncos. It's become completely untenable. I think Denver needs a top down reset (removing Ellis, Elway, Fangio, etc) and starting new with new ownership. It's the only way anything is going to improve with this team.

I agree 10000000% with what you say on all accounts here, Ben. 

The league, at this point, needs to force a sale and a COMPLETE cleaning of house is in order. If not force a sale tell Ellis/the Trust to s*** or get off the pot and let the 6 others vote yea or nay on Brittany (or whomever). 

From what I understand, all 6 need to vote for the one other (Brittany, Beth or the “blood of the city” kid) to be the owner, if even one of the six doesn’t agree, no dice. 

Furthermore, and Klis mentioned this on The Fan this morning, that the first court event was to happen on 9/1 but it couldn’t because of COVID stuff so the whole thing is left in a holding period. 

Being mired in some legal purgatory for God knows how long is untenable. I think Elway has done a better job in drafts and with FAs the last few years. I also know, for a fact, the plan was originally to have Vic as HC to handle the defense and then PR and other league business duties as HC and bring in Kubiak to handle the offense. That got blown up when Kubes wanted to bring in Dennison, Pariani, et al and Elway said no. Much as I like and respect Kubes, I side with Elway on that one. Problem is it was deal breaker for Kubes which f***ed us. Regardless, I’d have no problem showing Elway the door, along with everyone, to just do a full organizational reset. 

Ellis and Goodell are good friends who got their starts together as NFL interns. But Goodell works for the owners and the SBD story I shared earlier, that was pilfered by that plagiarizing hack Mike Florio, makes it clear the other 30 owners are NOT happy with current situations here and in Tennessee. If Ellis is so concerned about having a voice in the league and keeping his Golden parachute, can’t his buddy Goodell just offer him some job at NFL HQ? Make a deal, guys.  

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Yeah, I go back and forth with this.  I agree with Kareem Jackson in that the NFL used Denver as an example.  The league took a non playoff team, forced them to play and embarrass themselves to send a message to the rest of the league what can happen if they aren’t following protocols.

I am someone who believes the Ravens absolutely should’ve played Thursday and if not Thursday damn sure Sunday.  The Ravens clearly were not following protocols within that organization, but are getting the benefit of the doubt because they’re a potential SB contender.

On the flip side though, the Bronco QBs dropped the ball and the Saints shouldn’t be punished for that.

At the end of the day, I think it’s just another red flag on Drew Lock.  He’s a physically talented kid with all the physical tools to be a franchise QB that has a boatload of success in the NFL.  His lack of progress from year 1 to year 2 is concerning.  I don’t know if he’s actually improved on any area of the game and he has a better OL and weapons around him. He’s young and has room to grow, but I think he lacks maturity and professionalism.  Up to this point I think his NFL career has been one big act that has slowly been falling apart throughout the season.  Early on the on field antics and post game pressers were chalked up to a guy with confidence and swagger and considered a strength of Lock’s.  Now I think it’s becoming apparent that these are defense mechanisms for a guy who right now is just not a good football player.  Now throw in he just missed another game (that has to be around 10 in 2 years) because he can’t follow protocols, just a bad look for someone who, IMO, needs to be doing everything right to keep his job.

The NFL absolutely made an example of the Broncos. It plays into the fact I made in above reply that, despite the Ellis/Goodell friendship, the other owners and most of the league leadership apparatus doesn’t like our current ownership situation.

We’re not a playoff team, we have no real owner and we don’t have a household name type star player (since now the NFL is marketing itself like the NBA, about star players, not teams). Can’t do that to the Ravens since they have Lamar Jackson or the Patriots since Kraft is Kraft. 

As regards Lock,  I really don’t know. His play has been suspect. But we knew he was a going to take some development and changing OCs after one year and not having an off-season did hurt. No one can argue otherwise. Also, our current OC is not scheming to Lock’s strengths. It’s Mike McCoy all over again - coordinating in an effort to get an HC job - and the results have been bad. 

What he, and the other QBs did, was troublesome and it hurt the team. If I was a team owner or president and my QB did that, I’d find some way for him to pay a penance, e.g. donate his game check to charity or something. I like Lock’s swagger and confidence, I’ll take it over someone like Case Keenum who didn’t even seem to be in the room, but he does need to know when to tone it down and not come off as an asshat. 

• Like 1

i think if you are aligning with what the NFL is pursuing here with the whole COVID process .. they didn't do the broncos wrong. just unfortunate circumstances for all involved. to my understanding the ravens are having a ton of positive tests and they can't trace it back to a position group like they did w/ us