Lions fire HC Matt Patricia & GM Bob Quinn; Darrell Bevell to be interim HC

chiefs82

57 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Only difference between those two is one's proven, the other one isn't.  

I wouldn't take either for a starting job if Ben leaves after this season.  

You could do a lot worse. 

I'm sure your immediate response to that would be: "We could do a lot better." 

My response to that:  We'll see.

• Like 5

Stafford is above average. If you put him on a good team, he'll be fine. But he's shown many times, to my eyes, that he could never be the guy that makes an average team win.

All throughout his career, he's had times of being good and then he's had inexplicable slides that last for games at a time where he seems like he's only half there. He'll have games where he carves teams up throwing the ball 20+ yards downfield, and then games where he throws a dozen 2-yard outs to the sideline and you want to strangle him.

You can blame it on coaching, blame it on Lions leadership (and I do), but it's been a dozen years now where Stafford has been the franchise guy and could have had any coach or system he ever wanted, or spoken up if what he had wasn't working.

He's not going to go somewhere and be a MVP. I bet he'd be pretty good in Pittsburgh though.

Edit: yes, this is the offseason where it becomes realistic for the Lions to trade him. Last year the hit would have been astronomical. This year, with the Lions embarking on a rebuild with a new staff, it's a hit but it's doable.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, Danger said:

Another flop from the Bill Belichik coaching tree.

Brian Flores is the only coach that is working.....its because one the players love playing for him....he isn't trying to be Belicheck..he isn't an ******* and belittles his players(even Belicheck didn't do that ) ..and he's loyal ...

McDaniels , O'Brien, and Patricia tried so hard to be him plus they had no pedigree to do so and they all lost their players by firing good coaches and trading good players for no value because "deerr Belicheck did it" 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

You could do a lot worse. 

I'm sure your immediate response to that would be: "We could do a lot better." 

My response to that:  We'll see.

I really hope some of these elite teams who have been good for so long go through a healthy losing spell when their QB retires and realize how hard it is to have competence at that position.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Lions played well today basically for the first time all year. Today's game is one of the bigger checks against Patricia in my book.

Wow. I thought it was pretty underwhelming: we got gashed by Montgomery early, were down 16-6 and needed a Okwara strip-sack and poor Bears' 4th down attempt to hold on. I absolutely hated the Agnew 4th down run. (It seems clear that forcing the ball to a guy that hasn't done much as an offensive weapon is a Bevell thing. Darn.) As always, Trubisky looked like a decent NFL QB against us.

8 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Wow. I thought it was pretty underwhelming: we got gashed by Montgomery early, were down 16-6 and needed a Okwara strip-sack and poor Bears' 4th down attempt to hold on. I absolutely hated the Agnew 4th down run. (It seems clear that forcing the ball to a guy that hasn't done much as an offensive weapon is a Bevell thing. Darn.) As always, Trubisky looked like a decent NFL QB against us.

Okwara is a low key free agent that people aren't paying enough attention to. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So our defense is bad and was getting gashed, we adjusted and made the necessary plays. That's a good thing. Adjustments are a part of coaching and that was on display today. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Our offense looked a lot better today too. It's not exactly clicking, but it's much smoother.