It’s official Quintricia are gone

Lionized

7 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I don’t think keeping him was the right move, and i’m Not saying that in hindsight.  I think it was painfully obvious he was completely lost.  Instead of firing him and getting a head start on good candidates we stuck with him and Quin then sank all of our resources into ex-patriots “that fit the scheme”.  These guys are also eating up our salary cap next year and they are scheme specific guys.  This is the same sort of garbage that Marinelli did and it destroyed the team.  If you just need “your guys” you are destined to fail.  I’m pretty sure it’s been proved around the league to be the case.  Though i think doing this after Thanksgiving was the right move if you are going to do it in season.

See, but it wasn't obvious. It is now, but it wasn't at the time.

We nearly beat the Chiefs, then got screwed out of a win against the Packers. At that time, the majority of this forum was in full support of Patricia. (Even the loss against the Raiders was down to the wire.) The 2019 Lions were still remarkably competitive, despite starting Driskel and Blough at QB.

For whatever reason 2020 Patricia looks far more lost than 2019 Patricia did. (Part of me thinks that they wanted to build a strong coverage defense, and that he and Quinn felt that Trufant/Okudah could overcome the loss of Slay, or that they underestimated Slay's impact. Either way, they were wrong).

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

See, but it wasn't obvious. It is now, but it wasn't at the time.

We nearly beat the Chiefs, then got screwed out of a win against the Packers. At that time, the majority of this forum was in full support of Patricia. (Even the loss against the Raiders was down to the wire.) The 2019 Lions were still remarkably competitive, despite starting Driskel and Blough at QB.

For whatever reason 2020 Patricia looks far more lost than 2019 Patricia did. (Part of me thinks that they wanted to build a strong coverage defense, and that he and Quinn felt that Trufant/Okudah could overcome the loss of Slay, or that they underestimated Slay's impact. Either way, they were wrong).

It was obvious.  You just continued making excuses.  You proceeded all information threw a pro quinteicia scope. Grasping at straws like close loses to good teams.   The wheels were coming off in 19 before the injury and most fans saw it.  I wanted them to succeed but it was apparent they were never headed in that direction.  Quinn has been one of if not the worst GM in the league during his tenure.  Absolutely terrible talent evaluation 

4 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

It was obvious.  You just continued making excuses.  You proceeded all information threw a pro quinteicia scope. Grasping at straws like close loses to good teams.   The wheels were coming off in 19 before the injury and most fans saw it.  I wanted them to succeed but it was apparent they were never headed in that direction.  Quinn has been one of if not the worst GM in the league during his tenure.  Absolutely terrible talent evaluation 

I think his biggest issue is he doesn’t understand positional value.  I really liked Hockenson and I still think he is a good player, but a TE is not as valuable as a pass rusher.  I was so pissed when we passed on Burns and Oliver for Hockenson.  I thought Tavai was an awful pic at the time.  Same with Harris in the 3rd.  We really need to nail the GM pick.

17 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Just a few of the comments made by two of the more negative posters in 2019 (pre-Stafford injury):

@Superduperman: "It's ok. This is a way better team than last year. There's very very clear progress for Patricia's program. As long as they stay fairly healthy, I expect them to be in the playoffs."

@diehardlionfan: "I’m really happy overall with the Lions. We are beginning to see how they’ve constructed the team and it’s paying dividends." "I’m very pleased with the teams progress and based on the first 4 games I think that a playoff appearance is likely." "We are seeing the benefits of the type of players Patricia and Quinn are bringing in."

Those are just comments from negative posters; there was a lot of positivity at the time. Lets not pretend that it didn't happen. (Gotta give credit to @MortexLion: the guy was 100% anti-Patricia throughout.)

Well, Tough nuts. Pretty sure only TL/Karnage will have sorrow. 

Here's to a sliver of hope that the right person is put in as GM who hires the right man at HC. The stones are at least falling in place to have a really fun off-season for fans. 

Edited by SimbaWho

Man it would have been terrible to get this rebuild started last off season.

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Credit to SFH for handling the situation appropriately: keeping Patricia after an injury-plagued 2019 and giving him a 3rd season to prove himself was the right move. Not firing him after CAR - on a short week - and firing both he and Quinn after an embarrassing Thanksgiving loss, with extra time, was also the right move.

Her handling of this situation gives me hope for the future.

Even with this gift of hindsight, you still manage to be wrong.

14 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Man it would have been terrible to get this rebuild started last off season.

Even with this gift of hindsight, you still manage to be wrong.

Yes. Because actual decisions can't rely on hindsight. It's why some people rely solely on hindsight to believe they're right about things.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yes. Because actual decisions can't rely on hindsight. It's why some people rely solely on hindsight to believe they're right about things.

Most people can use hindsight to tell if a decision was a good one or not.

I guess at least one person can't. 

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

Most people can use hindsight to tell if a decision was a good one or not.

I guess at least one person can't. 

... but we know that the person making that decision didn't have hindsight at their disposal.

Here. Question. It's the Super Bowl, you're down 31-30, 2 seconds left in the game, stopped clock, ball on the opponent's 10 yard line. Your kicker has never missed from inside the 20 and is healthy. No concerns with your FG unit. Do you kick the field goal or go for the touchdown?

14 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

... but we know that the person making that decision didn't have hindsight at their disposal.

Here. Question. It's the Super Bowl, you're down 31-30, 2 seconds left in the game, stopped clock, ball on the opponent's 10 yard line. Your kicker has never missed from inside the 20 and is healthy. No concerns with your FG unit. Do you kick the field goal or go for the touchdown?

What we know is the person making the decision made the wrong one. That's based on the totality of Patricia's career here. It was only confirmed by the 2020 season.

An equally leading question would be: If a coach alienates all of the talent, deters talent from coming, makes poor game plans, makes terrible in game adjustments, and makes questionable at best playing time decisions, does he get a pass because his QB gets hurt and he can't develop a backup?

How about: Would the regime that is about to start benefit from all the resources (draft picks, FA, development time, Stafford's window) that were just wasted on the 2020 season?

7 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

What we know is the person making the decision made the wrong one. That's based on the totality of Patricia's career here. It was only confirmed by the 2020 season.

An equally leading question would be: If a coach alienates all of the talent, deters talent from coming, makes poor game plans, makes terrible in game adjustments, and makes questionable at best playing time decisions, does he get a pass because his QB gets hurt and he can't develop a backup?

How about: Would the regime that is about to start benefit from all the resources (draft picks, FA, development time, Stafford's window) that were just wasted on the 2020 season?

... based on hindsight.

I mean, if a negative fan overexaggerates every single negative element of a coach's regime, does it mean that those elements were really that bad?

Were Okudah, Swift, Okwara, Jackson, Stenberg, Penisini and Cornell wasted picks if an overly negative fan claims that they were?

Burning questions.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway