2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 2/20/2021 at 3:05 PM, NYRaider said:

Ibou Badji is an interesting prospect if he enters the draft. 7'1" 240 with a 7'8" wingspan and 9'10" standing reach and moves really well for a guy his size. 

if a guy's highlight reel consists of only blocks and dunks that's a red flag tbh

But on the other side, he's currently averaging 3.7 APG (4.0 TOPG) when he's touted as a PG, he's only shooting 54% at the rim, and he's only shooting 28% on 2 point shots outside of the paint 

This is going to be beaten to death until draft time, but his numbers are a direct reflection of his team just not being good/not being able to finish easy shots created off his dribbling and passes/passing up open shots to pass it back to Cade. I don't know how many possessions a game where one of his guys get an open shot on a great read and feed by Cade to, wait for the defense to react to them, just to kick the ball back to Cade. Plus Cade is a better shooter than Doncic was coming into the league while already proving to be a better defensive playmaker (on and off the ball), and a better athlete than Doncic was. Cade's mid-range game will work itself out, as well as those finishes as he bulks up.

I think he'll be a very good NBA player because of his size, feel for the game, and potential as a playmaker. But I'm just not sure he's a franchise changing talent like he has been hyped up to be after getting to watch him play more. 

It's gonna happen again isn't it? 

Atlanta GM explains why Hawks traded Luka Doncic for Trae Young, one thing  fans don't know about the deal

But the fact he can get to the rim at will, get any shot off from any where is already a good indicator, keep an offense with no talent competitive, and have the ability to make gorgeous passes and reads that other players cant bode that he can carry offense for extended stretches of time sooner rather than later. Let's not forget he's a potential net positive on D as well. 

AT WORST, Cade is Shaun Livingston with a better than league average 3 point shot. 

Edited by YogiBiz

On 3/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, YogiBiz said:

Plus Cade is a better shooter than Doncic was coming into the league while already proving to be a better defensive playmaker (on and off the ball), and a better athlete than Doncic was. Cade's mid-range game will work itself out, as well as those finishes as he bulks up.

Cade is definitely a better 3 point shooter coming into the league. I think it's debatable about their defensive playmaking, Cade's numbers are slightly better but he's also playing in the Big 12 while Luka was playing in the second best league in the world. 

I disagree that Cade is a better athlete than Luka was coming into the league. On the season Cade is shooting .471 on 2 point FG and getting to the FT line 6.4 times per 40 minutes. In Luka's final season against much better competition he shot .617 on 2 point FG and got to the FT line 9.1 times per 40 minutes. 

When you compare Cade's numbers to the numbers of wings that have been picked highly and haven't been great in the league yet, it's a little worrisome. 

Cade Cunningham - Shots at rim: 37.1% | FG% at rim: 57.8% | % of shots that are 2P Jumpers: 29.6% | FG% on 2P Jumpers: 33.3% | APG: 3.5 | TOPG: 4.3

RJ Barrett - Shots at rim: 38.5% | FG% at rim: 64.4% | % of shots that are 2P Jumpers: 27.8% | FG% on 2P Jumpers: 36.9% | APG: 4.3 | TOPG: 3.2 

Anthony Edwards - Shots at rim: 26.5% | FG% at rim: 69.4% | % of shots that are 2P Jumpers: 25.0% | FG% on 2P Jumpers: 30.2% | APG: 2.8 | TOPG: 2.7 

Josh Jackson - Shots at rim: 42.9% | FG% at rim: 69.0% | % of shots that are 2P Jumpers: 36.1% | FG% on 2P Jumpers: 38.1% | APG: 3.0 | TOPG: 2.8 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, YogiBiz said:

It's gonna happen again isn't it? 

Atlanta GM explains why Hawks traded Luka Doncic for Trae Young, one thing  fans don't know about the deal

Luka is a great player obviously but he has yet to show that he's a true "franchise changing talent" thus far. Individual numbers are great but Dallas was the 7th seed last year and got bounced in the first round. And they're a fringe playoff team this year battling for the 8th seed despite Luka's crazy production. 

On 2/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, catcheryea said:

i just wanted an excuse to post this picture

20140929_ajw_aa1_011.JPG.0.jpg

Lmao. He could be the next Thabeet but I think the main difference is that Badji will likely be a mid to late 1st round pick while Thabeet was the #2 overall pick. One of the main reasons Thabeet is considered such a bust is because of how high he was taken and the expectations that come with being a high draft pick. 

If someone bets on Badji's upside later in the first round he'll be coming into a similar situation as to what Rudy came into when he came to Utah. We knew he had crazy upside just due to his size, length, and athleticism. But we were patient with him while developing him with our G-League affiliate before he became the best defensive player in the league. 

I wouldn't advocate for taking him in the lottery but at any point after that if I was a team that needed some size in the middle I'd consider taking a swing on him. As the Lakers showed in the Finals last year having size and rim protection is never a bad thing. And with his physical tools alone he has more upside than most players in the class. 

NYRaider 2021 NBA Mock Draft V 1.0

1. Minnesota: Cade Cunningham | CG | Oklahoma State

2. Detroit: Evan Mobley | C | USC

3. Houston: Jalen Green | SG | G-League Ignite

4. Cleveland: Jonathan Kuminga | F | G-League Ignite 

5. Orlando: Jalen Suggs | PG | Gonzaga

6. Sacramento: Scottie Barnes | F | Florida State

7. Washington: James Bouknight | CG | UConn

8. New Orleans: Moses Moody | SG | Arkansas 

9. Oklahoma City: Ziaire Williams | F | Stanford 

10. Atlanta: Jalen Johnson | F | Duke

11. Indiana: Keon Johnson | SG | Tennessee 

12. Chicago: Ayo Dosunmu | PG | Illinois 

13. Memphis: Jaden Springer | SG | Tennessee

14. Golden State: Corey Kispert | F | Gonzaga 

15. Toronto: Kai Jones | C | Texas

16. Charlotte: Day'Ron Sharpe | C | North Carolina 

17. Oklahoma City: Cam Thomas | CG | LSU

18. New York: Sharife Cooper | PG | Auburn

19. Boston: Ibou Badji | C | Senegal 

20. New York: Usman Garuba | F | Spain

21. San Antonio: Greg Brown | F | Texas

22. Denver: David Duke | SG | Providence 

23. Houston: Franz Wagner | F | Michigan 

24. Milwaukee: Daishen Nix | PG | G-League Ignite

25. LA Clippers: Jared Butler | PG | Baylor

26. LA Lakers: Joshua Christopher | SG | Arizona State

27. Brooklyn: Alperen Sengun | C | Turkey 

28. Philadelphia: Davion Mitchell | CG | Baylor

29. Phoenix: Isaiah Jackson | FC | Kentucky

30. Utah: Brandon Boston | SG | Kentucky 

Edited by NYRaider

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

NYRaider 2021 NBA Mock Draft V 1.0

1. Minnesota: Cade Cunningham | CG | Oklahoma State

2. Detroit: Evan Mobley | C | USC

3. Houston: Jalen Green | SG | G-League Ignite

4. Cleveland: Jonathan Kuminga | F | G-League Ignite 

5. Orlando: Jalen Green | PG | Gonzaga

6. Sacramento: Scottie Barnes | F | Florida State

7. Washington: James Bouknight | CG | UConn

8. New Orleans: Moses Moody | SG | Arkansas 

9. Oklahoma City: Ziaire Williams | F | Stanford 

10. Atlanta: Jalen Johnson | F | Duke

11. Indiana: Keon Johnson | SG | Tennessee 

12. Chicago: Ayo Dosunmu | PG | Illinois 

13. Memphis: Jaden Springer | SG | Tennessee

14. Golden State: Corey Kispert | F | Gonzaga 

15. Toronto: Kai Jones | C | Texas

16. Charlotte: Day'Ron Sharpe | C | North Carolina 

17. Oklahoma City: Cam Thomas | CG | LSU

18. New York: Sharife Cooper | PG | Auburn

19. Boston: Ibou Badji | C | Senegal 

20. New York: Usman Garuba | F | Spain

21. San Antonio: Greg Brown | F | Texas

22. Denver: David Duke | SG | Providence 

23. Houston: Franz Wagner | F | Michigan 

24. Milwaukee: Daishen Nix | PG | G-League Ignite

25. LA Clippers: Jared Butler | PG | Baylor

26. LA Lakers: Joshua Christopher | SG | Arizona State

27. Brooklyn: Alperen Sengun | C | Turkey 

28. Philadelphia: Davion Mitchell | CG | Baylor

29. Phoenix: Isaiah Jackson | FC | Kentucky

30. Utah: Brandon Boston | SG | Kentucky 

*Suggs and I’d take him over the G-League kids.  I think if Gonzaga wasn’t so balanced he’d flex his potential more.  Keep in mind he hasn’t been fully committed to bball like some of the others.

21 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

*Suggs and I’d take him over the G-League kids.  I think if Gonzaga wasn’t so balanced he’d flex his potential more.  Keep in mind he hasn’t been fully committed to bball like some of the others.

Good catch, just fixed it. I went with Jalen Green for Houston because his upside is insane and he has the potential to be a #1 option in the league, imo. Not a bad piece to acquire a year after trading Harden and losing Oladipo in free agency. And I went with Kuminga for Cleveland because they already have two small guards that they invested high picks into with Sexton and Garland. 

I like Suggs a lot as a prospect but I don't think he has #1 scorer potential. I think his ceiling is a guy that's reminiscent of Deron Williams. Very good player, likely an All-Star, and will definitely make a team better on both sides of the ball. But I don't think he'll ever be a guy that can carry the scoring load for a team.   

Edited by NYRaider