2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, catcheryea said:

ok then in that case i don't understand the point of that post at all

That was my point though. Beasley put up monster numbers on a bad Kansas State team and was hyped to up to be the best player in the class. Derrick Rose put up lesser numbers at Memphis but it led to winning as they went 38-2 and lost in the national championship. Beasley went on to be one of the biggest busts in history and Rose went on to be an MVP. It's almost as if winning with skill but not being an elite athlete doesn't translate that well. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

ESPN definitely doesn't push a narrative, we definitely got the next Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. 

yes they got drafted #1 cause espn said they were good lol

ppl get things wrong, go read last years thread and see for yourself lol. 

everyone on draft twitter has cade #1 and most don't even have green #2 from what i have seen. it isn't because "big college basketball" lol 

Just now, NYRaider said:

That was my point though. Beasley put up monster numbers on a bad Kansas State team and was hyped to up to be the best player in the class. Derrick Rose put up lesser numbers at Memphis but it led to winning as they went 38-2 and lost in the national championship. Beasley went on to be one of the biggest busts in history and Rose went on to be an MVP. It's almost as if winning with skill but not being an elite athlete doesn't translate that well. 

beasley busted because he's a nutcase, not because he couldn't play

9 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

jalen harris (who's that, idk) is also a rookie in the gl and pput up the same #s. malachi flynn (was he even drafted in the 1st?) is another rookie and put up 21 and 6. gl stats are silly since the incentive isn't really to win gms 

Jalen Harris is 22 years old and played 4 years in college, he averaged 22 ppg as a senior and averaged 7 ppg in limited minutes with the Raptors last season. Flynn is also 22 years old, was a 4 year college player, was a consensus All-American his final season, and was in the Raptors rotation for a good chunk of the season. 

You can hate on the G-League but Flynn and Harris were two of the best players in college basketball a year ago as seniors. How well do you think Jalen Green would play if he got to come back to the G-League in 4 years? 

It's the same reason that I'm not that high on Davion Mitchell. Did he have a great season this year, definitely. But he was a 4th year player and will be a 23 year old rookie. He's older than Luka, Sexton, and Trae. What do you think those guys would've done if they played in college basketball this year? 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Another interesting thing to take into consideration, outside of the Anthony Bennett draft, the #1 pick has always been more or less the consensus #1 prospect on everyone's board throughout most of the college season. But how often has the guy that is picked #1 gone on to be the best player from his draft class?

2010: John Wall, I'd argue that Paul George is the best player from this class. 

2011: Kyrie Irving, I'd say Kawhi Leonard is definitely the best player from this class. 

2012: Anthony Davis, he's definitely the best player from this class. 

2013: Anthony Bennett (outlier), but Giannis is hands down the best player from this class. 

2014: Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid is definitely the best player from this class. 

2015: Karl Anthony-Towns, I'd say as of now Devin Booker is the best player from this class. 

2016: Ben Simmons, it's debatable but you can make a case for Jaylen Brown, Jamal Murray, or Brandon Ingram.

2017: Markelle Fultz, I'd say Donovan Mitchell/Jayson Tatum are the best players from this class. 

2018: DeAndre Ayton, Luka Doncic is by far the best player from this class. 

2019: Zion Williamson, he's probably the best but you can also make a strong argument for Ja. 

2020: Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball had a better rookie season. 

All valid and I agree with every assessment.

The part we're not considering is the person making this decision is making it with the best interests of the team and THEIR JOB in mind. If you take the consensus #1 overall pick and he bombs, you get to say, "Well every loved that guy, you can't blame me". If you take a risk at #1, you don't get that luxury and you're likely fired for it. 

i.e. You take Cade at #1 and you have no risk of getting fired if he doesn't perform as well as Green. If you take Green and he busts, you're fired in 2 years. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

yes they got drafted #1 cause espn said they were good lol

ppl get things wrong, go read last years thread and see for yourself lol. 

everyone on draft twitter has cade #1 and most don't even have green #2 from what i have seen. it isn't because "big college basketball" lol 

A former NBA executive literally just said that teams are definitely influenced by mock drafts and that it's easier to go with who the media perceives as the better player because if you whiff, you're probably not getting fired because you can say well everyone thought he was the best. But if you roll the dice on a guy that's viewed lower in the media's eyes and miss it's a quick way out the door. Which is why Danny Ainge literally banned his scouts/executives from even looking at mock drafts or referring to them when they were considering players, lol. 

Everyone thought Ayton/Bagley were #1/#2 in their draft class as well. A lot of that had to do with the fact that no one had seen Luka Doncic play before and European prospects are considered riskier. When you're evaluating college guys and comparing them against each other you at least have a baseline because you know they played against a pretty similar level of competition. That's not the case for guys that didn't play college basketball, you really don't know how their game will translate because they're playing elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

The part we're not considering is the person making this decision is making it with the best interests of the team and THEIR JOB in mind. If you take the consensus #1 overall pick and he bombs, you get to say, "Well every loved that guy, you can't blame me". If you take a risk at #1, you don't get that luxury and you're likely fired for it. 

i.e. You take Cade at #1 and you have no risk of getting fired if he doesn't perform as well as Green. If you take Green and he busts, you're fired in 2 years. 

There was an NBA executive on Chad Ford's podcast that literally said those exact words. That if you whiff on a guy who's considered great by everyone it doesn't really put your job at risk. But if you take a chance on someone else and they whiff while the other guy is good, you're probably going to get fired. 

Troy Weaver doesn't seem like a guy that's afraid to go against the grain though. No one really viewed Westbrook as a top 5 prospect, hell most didn't even have him in the top 10. Jerryd Bayless was ranked higher by literally everyone coming into the draft. Weaver pushed Presti to take a chance on Westbrook at #4 and it seemed to have worked out pretty well. 

Like can you imagine if James Jones had the courage to go against the grain and take Luka Doncic over consensus #1 player DeAndre Ayton. You guys would probably have a banner right now. Pretty crazy that your head coach at the time was Luka's head coach for their national team and you still whiffed on the pick. @11sanchez11

In 2018 Igor Kokoskov was the head coach of the Phoenix Suns. That hire, on May 2nd made Kokoskov the first head coach born and raised outside of North America in NBA history.

He’d be the coach of the Suns for just one NBA Draft. In ‘18, with Phoenix holding the top overall pick, the Suns selected Deandre Ayton out of the University of Arizona. They passed on Luka Doncic, and Kokoskov says that’s why he’s coaching in Turkey.

“I wouldn’t be sitting here with you today,” Kokoskov told SocractesDergi before a recent Fenerbahce game. Kokoskov was named the Fenerbahce coach on July 4th of this year.

Edited by NYRaider

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A former NBA executive literally just said that teams are definitely influenced by mock drafts

former nba ppl say a lot dumb stuff 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

you're probably not getting fired

everyone in the nba gets fired in like 3 years, if you suck you are getting fired 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is why Danny Ainge literally banned his scouts/executives from even looking at mock drafts or referring to them when they were considering players

this seems like evidence that teams don't care lol

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Everyone thought Ayton/Bagley were #1/#2 in their draft class as well. A lot of that had to do with the fact that no one had seen Luka Doncic play before and European prospects are considered riskier.

i think you missed  the coverage lol, ppl were obsessed with luka that draft. he had a bunch of gms on american tv too lol. the euro playoff gms were on nbatv and then the fiba gms were also on NBATV/ espn (they won championship in both). Remember him saucing up kristaps? luka is basically the only euro prospect i ever watched because it was so easy. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Like can you imagine if James Jones had the courage to go against the grain and take Luka Doncic over consensus #1 player DeAndre Ayton. You guys would probably have a banner right now. Pretty crazy that your head coach at the time was Luka's head coach for their national team and you still whiffed on the pick. @11sanchez11

James Jones still won GM of the year and lost in the Finals. He should of taken Luka, but the "safe route" was still a  prosperous one. 

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

i think you missed  the coverage lol, ppl were obsessed with luka that draft. 

But DeAndre Ayton was the consensus #1 prospect. 

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/2018/

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/30/nba-draft-2018-prospect-rankings-big-board

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2018-nba-draft-prospect-rankings-big-board-has-no-2-with-more-upside-than-likely-no-1-deandre-ayton/

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Like can you imagine if James Jones had the courage to go against the grain and take Luka Doncic over consensus #1 player DeAndre Ayton

i'm pretty sure there was no consensus lol. i think everyone knew the suns were going to pick ayton but most ppl had luka #1 easy. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You guys would probably have a banner right now

or...the entire org could have been fired cause they haven't been out of the 1st rd in a decade lol