2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

This is one way of phrasing it to shape an argument lol Do we need to run through the list of Euro players in the top 10 that busted out over the years to understand why Luka went where he did? I'd have carpel tunnel before I got to Dragon Bender.

The difference between Luka and most other European prospects though is that Luka was literally the MVP of the league while most of the other guys that have been drafted high were bench players. In their final year in Europe Bender averaged 6 ppg,  Mario Hezonja averaged 7 ppg, Frank Ntilikina averaged 5 ppg. 

If you're going to use that argument then you should also look at the success of one-n-done #1 players that didn't go to big programs. How many of those guys have panned out in the league? 

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

DE does intel boards, not their own opinions. Also Mike literally is a UA alumnus lol. KOC is an NBA guy. BR lol. CBS Sports lol. I'm talking about draft ppl, the ppl who cover prospects everyday, not the dudes who jump in to put out a mock cause that is only thing to do in the offszn 

Those are the same people that have Cade as the consensus #1 prospect though...

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why? Because Ayton was playing on ESPN every night and very few people had ever seen Luka actually play in a live game, lol.  

you can't be serious lol. luka was prob on nbatv/espn more than ayton lol. i remember posting in here every time he had a gm on tv. his euro playoffs and fiba runs were both on tv lmao, and he literally won the title in both 

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

With Embiid coming off a 23ppg 11reb with a Philly team finishing 52-30 at 3rd in the East the prior year, yes you take someone with the same upside and no injury history at 1. 

I guess. We can refer back in a few years and I am 100% confident Jalen Green will be the better player. 

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

you can't be serious lol. luka was prob on nbatv/espn more than ayton lol. i remember posting in here every time he had a gm on tv. his euro playoffs and fiba runs were both on tv lmao, and he literally won the title in both 

How many people were staying up until 4 am to watch the 2 Euro league games that ESPN aired? 

Arizona has 12 games on the ESPN family of networks, three on Fox Sports 1, two on CBS Sports Network, one national game on both CBS and FOX, and then a ton on the Pac-12 Network, including the Red-Blue game.

arizona_basketball_schedule.jpg]

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How many people were staying up until 4 am to watch the 2 Euro league games that ESPN aired? 

so ayton played on espn once? and luka 2x and that doesn't even include the gms he was literally playing against current nba players in FIBA, which were prob all on nbatv. 

so ayton played on espn once? and luka 2x and that doesn't even include the gms he was literally playing against current nba players in FIBA, which were prob all on nbatv. 

Arizona has 12 games on the ESPN family of networks,

Are you really going to argue that Arizona played less games on national television than Real Madrid did in 2017-2018? lol. Or that people got more exposure to Luka than to Ayton via ESPN? Arizona was coming off of a 32-5 season and started the year ranked #3 in the country. Their game highlights were on SportsCenter every time they played. @11sanchez11

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Are you really going to argue that Arizona played less games on national television than Real Madrid did in 2017-2018? lol. Or that people got more exposure to Luka than to Ayton via ESPN? Arizona was coming off of a 32-5 season and started the year ranked #3 in the country. Their game highlights were on SportsCenter every time they played. @11sanchez11

are you saying because ayton got like 5 national tv gms (on relevant channels) is the reason he went #1 lol

trae and JJJ and wendell and bamba and bridges x2 and knox and sga prob got just as much if not more, luka got picked over all of them. 

sorry for getting into a conversation w/ ny and derailing a thread lol

• Like 1

they put like bowling on espn2, doesn't count

he played on espn 1x, maybe 3 iirc because the UCLA/USC pac12 tourney gms were prob on espn 

Arizona is one of the biggest college basketball programs in the country and probably the biggest on the West Coast at the time. There's literally no way you can argue that Luka was more watched before entering the league than Ayton, lol.

The only games on record to have been televised were 2 in the 2018 EuroLeague Final 4, on NBATV, a channel that requires a subscription to watch. Game 1 of the 76ers-Wizards was on NBATV and had 380,000 viewers. 

The star player for Madrid during the season was Luka Dončić, who led the league in Performance Index Rating (PIR), and was later a top-three pick in the 2018 NBA draft. Dončić's games during the Final Four were televised in the United States, by NBA TV.

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

are you saying because ayton got like 5 national tv gms (on relevant channels) is the reason he went #1 lol

No I'm saying that he was the consensus #1 prospect in the eyes of the media because they had actually seen him play a ton due to him being at a major program that started the season as a top 5 team. While Luka Doncic had hype but people literally hadn't seen him play live, lol. 

Obviously Ayton didn't go #1 strictly because he was on EPSN more, he was a good prospect with high upside. But in terms of media consensus he was rated higher than Luka by literally everyone and I'd say a lot of that has to do with exposure. 

It's the same reason that Jahlil Okafor was a consensus top 3 guy on everyone's board after playing at Duke while Porzingis was a fringe top 10 prospect. 

Again, I'm talking strictly in terms of the media, which you were just saying has Cade as the no brainer #1 guy, lol. 

My entire point in all of this @11sanchez11 when referring to media big boards they are always going to rank the guys they've actually seen play higher. When you're comparing college player to college player it's much easier to rank them as they played against a relatively similar level of competition. When you're ranking them against guys that played elsewhere it's trickier because most young players in other leagues don't really play that much and are playing against men so it's more projection then production. 

We've literally seen it a few times over the last few draft cycles with Okafor/Porzingis, Ayton/Luka, Edwards/Ball. 

Just because the media says he's the consensus #1 guy doesn't mean that's the case, especially when you're comparing guys that played at different levels of competition. 

ESPN was literally pushing the Cade is the next LeBron narrative the entire season.