2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

how do you think springer wins in the league... aside from + on ball D and not being a ball stopper. i like jaden a lot, but i don't like his tools/limitations on offense... think if he turns into something it'll be after the rookie contract expires, but even if so what's the maxed out version of jaden really look like? smart hustle defender that plays the right way... i feel like maxed out jaden is like CURRENT gary harris with a little more ability to keep things moving... not mad with him in the mid-late 20's, but just feel like there's not a whole lot of room there. but i like his head and trust he'll be putting in work 

I wouldn't take him in the lottery but I think he's a guy that is going to stick in the league and be a high end role player for a long time. He projects as a plus-level defender that has the potential to be an All-NBA level defender if he continues to grow into his body and maximizes his athleticism. He needs to tighten up his handle but I think he projects as a 3&D two guard with the potential to be more. Obviously it was a small sample size but he was decent in C&S situations, shot 43% from 3, and 81% from the FT line. I think Gary Harris/Marcus Smart are pretty fair comparisons for him. Won't ever be a star but still a solid player to have on your team. 

5 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

prolly. i still haven't watched any sengun yet, but the profile looks ugly off top lol

Sengun is like an Enes Kanter/Jusuf Nurkic type of big. Very skilled offensively but more of a throw back type of big that will struggle to defend in space. 

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Chad Ford made some interesting tweets earlier.  He said the Kings are high on Trey Murphy and will consider him at pick 9.  Please god no!

He also said Hornets might pick Kai Jones with their 1st rounder. 

Chad Ford is a bum, Alfred.

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And I think Bouknight has become a little overrated in the draft cycle. He could be Jordan Clarkson+ but he could also be Mar'Shon Brooks. 

He could also be young OJ Mayo or CJ McCollum. It's a crapshoot.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

He could also be young OJ Mayo or CJ McCollum. It's a crapshoot.

My biggest gripe with Bouknight is I just don't see how someone could rank him over a prospect like Keon Johnson. I get that he's better right now but the draft is about projection. 

Johnson averaged 11.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg on 45%/27%/70% shooting splits in 25 mpg

Bouknight averaged 18.7 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.1 spg on 45%/29%/78% shooting splits in 32 mpg 

Bouknight's numbers were better volume wise but he also played more minutes against worse competition, is a year older and their splits were almost identical. 

Johnson was 15/39 on C&S jumpers while Bouknight was 8/37. 

Then you have to account for the fact that Johnson projects as an elite defender and is one of the best athletes to come out in the draft in the last decade. Not to mention he didn't even start playing organized basketball until he was in high school. The biggest knocks on Johnson right now are his handle and 3P shooting consistency, but I think those are things that can develop with time. But you can't teach a guy to play with the energy and motor that he does, even when he wasn't making a huge impact offensively he was always locked in on defense. 

When you compare Johnson's numbers as a freshman to guys like Donovan Mitchell, Russell Westbrook, and Jaylen Brown at the same stage, for me at least, it's hard not to love his potential. As freshmen Mitchell averaged 7.4 on 44/25 splits, Westbrook averaged 3.4 on 44/40 splits, and Brown averaged 14.6 on 43/29 splits. Does that mean that he'll become a player of their caliber, no, but he definitely has that same unreal athleticism/motor that all 3 of those guys had. 

23 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Chad Ford made some interesting tweets earlier.  He said the Kings are high on Trey Murphy and will consider him at pick 9.  Please god no!

He also said Hornets might pick Kai Jones with their 1st rounder. 

Based on their recent picks nothing the Kings do would surprise me but if I had to guess I'd pick Franz Wagner or Jalen Johnson. 

I heard on another draft podcast that the Hornets are unlikely to go big with their lottery pick because of the bigs available on the free agent market. 

If the Jazz keep the 30th pick the only acceptable players we can take are JT Thor, Miles McBride, Bones Hyland, Greg Brown, Herbert Jones, or Ayo Donsumnu. Anyone else and we riot. 

Edited by NYRaider

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kevin O'Connor's last big board has Cam Thomas #9 overall, sheesh. 

I think he had Killian Hayes as his #1 prospect last year.  I love the Ringer and most of their podcasts but KOC's draft takes are pretty weak imo.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I think he had Killian Hayes as his #1 prospect last year.  I love the Ringer and most of their podcasts but KOC's draft takes are pretty weak imo.

I was actually really high on Hayes last year too, I still think he'll be a very good player. His injuries killed him last year but he definitely flashed at times. Tyrell Terry over Tyrese Haliburton was horrible though, lol.