2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

im sorry, its no way i would do that if im detroit.  it takes luck to get the 1st pick in the draft.  Pistons probably wont get another top pick in a long time. A number 1 pick energizes a fan base and resets the franchise and expectations.

I take it without even a second thought or hesitation. SGA has already shown he can be a contributor on a playoff team and has improved every year that he has been in the league. The number one pick energizes the franchise, Minnesota has had the 1 pick like 3 times in the last decade, how energized are they? 

So you'd get a proven All-Star caliber player and another top lottery pick. 

As I've said before I really don't love Cade's fit with Detroit either because their young core is full of guys who are pretty average athletically in terms of NBA standards. And Cade himself is an average athlete as well. They're going to get cooked defensively. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How many big name FA are lining up to play in Detroit?

None, but having space allows you to trade for one.  Also if you have a star like Cade on a lesser deal and become competitive, some stars may be willing to come to Detroit and play with a young group on the rise.  Also having more money for better role players helps.  When things are comparable, like SGA and Kuminga for Cade/Green, things like money matter in those decisions.  Like I said, if SGA wanted to be in Detroit next year, he could be through either signing and OKC not matching or a S&T.  Same with Zach Lavine if he doesn't get the extension and Chicago still sucks this year.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

None, but having space allows you to trade for one.  Also if you have a star like Cade on a lesser deal and become competitive, some stars may be willing to come to Detroit and play with a young group on the rise.  Also having more money for better role players helps.  When things are comparable, like SGA and Kuminga for Cade/Green, things like money matter in those decisions.  Like I said, if SGA wanted to be in Detroit next year, he could be through either signing and OKC not matching or a S&T.  Same with Zach Lavine if he doesn't get the extension and Chicago still sucks this year.  

How often have we seen small market teams acquire stars via trade? Cleveland and Milwaukee both did it although I wouldn't necessarily classify Love/Jrue as superstars. I highly doubt that OKC even really made that offer though, SGA is one of the best young players in the league already.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

He's already been a #2 on a playoff team at age 21. Saying he's a #3 at best is absolutely ridiculous.

Just like people here said that Beal could never be a #1 scorer on a championship level team when he scores more on better efficiency while defending at the same rate as Devin Booker, lol. 

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Why? Grayson Allen is a bench/role player, and the Lakers 2022 1st is likely a late 1st.  At #6 OKC has a better chance of getting close to elite talent than at 10.  Only do this if there is like 3-4 guys they have similarly rated all still available at 6.

Grayson Allen averaged 11 ppg and shot 40% from 3 on a playoff team. Is he some great player? Obviously not but he's a good role player off the bench that pairs well with SGA and he's only 25 years old. Plus Memphis owns the rights to the Lakers/Jazz 1st round picks next year so they could give them whichever pick is higher. So OKC would have their own pick (as long as it's in the lottery), Clippers 1st, Suns 1st (top 12 protected), and either the Jazz 1st (top 7 protected)/Lakers 1st (top 10 protected). 

So in all likelihood they'd have 4 1st round picks with the Clippers pick potentially being pretty high if Kawhi does miss the entire season. 

Next years draft has some great prospects at the top especially if Emoni Bates reclassifies. So they'd have the trade ammunition to move up and go get whoever they want. 

If they're really targeting a two guard there really isn't a big difference between Bouknight who they'd take at #6 or Moody who they'd take at #10. And I'd even argue that Moody fits better with their group because he's a way better defender that can guard 1-3. 

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

lets be real.  OKC overachieved that year. 

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Why do you think that is? Mostly because SGA was way better than people expected.

OKC had been a consistent playoff team already then swapped out hero ball Westbrook for CP3, SGA made a leap, and they had a very good supporting cast around them with guys like Schroder (off the bench), Gallinari, Adams, etc. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Pelicans jumped from 25th to 23rd in attendance after drafting Zion.

new orleans is a crappy sports town for basketball.  pistons fan base is way bigger than new orleans. plus last season was cut short attendance wise due to the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

OKC had been a consistent playoff team already then swapped out hero ball Westbrook for CP3, SGA made a leap, and they had a very good supporting cast around them with guys like Schroder (off the bench), Gallinari, Adams, etc. 

lets not act like everyone was saying CP3 should be bought out and sign with Miami when that trade was made. 

50 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You didn't directly compare them but you said "we've seen big guards like Luka have success" to support Detroit's reasoning of taking him #1. I like Cade, I have him #2 on my board, but he isn't Luka Doncic and in fairness there really isn't anyone that is. But the media has been driving this narrative that he's the next Luka/LeBron type of franchise changing talent when personally I don't think he is. I don't even view him as a PG/primary ball handler, I'd say he's more comparable to guys like Jayson Tatum, Joe Johnson, and Brandon Roy. Good scorers and secondary creators but not a guy that's going to have the ball in his hands at all times and elevate a team around him.

Go read my post again. I literally said bigger wings/guards are the ones that have the most playoff success. I said "depending on how he develops will have a better chance to be more impactful in the playoffs." 

I not once said Cade is the next LeBron or Giannis or Luka or Kawhi. My post was not hard to follow. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

new orleans is a crappy sports town for basketball.  pistons fan base is way bigger than new orleans. plus last season was cut short attendance wise due to the pandemic. 

The Pistons were almost dead last in attendance in the 5 years before the pandemic. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Go read my post again. I literally said bigger wings/guards are the ones that have the most playoff success. I said "depending on how he develops will have a better chance to be more impactful in the playoffs." 

I not once said Cade is the next LeBron or Giannis or Luka or Kawhi. My post was not hard to follow. 

That is true, bigger wings have had more playoff success. Over the last decade, IIRC, every NBA champion has had one of Kawhi, LeBron, Durant, or Giannis with the only exception being the Warriors first title team. 

18 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

The ESPN average attendance is dumb anyways. It punishes smaller arenas.

Based on percentage of tickets the Pelicans were 16th last season.

• Like 1