2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Greg Brown has received 0 hype or discussion leading up to the draft. But if he ends up in the right situation I think he can be a steal for someone. He's rawer offensively than steak tartare but he's a decent shooter, super athletic, and a very good defender. 

I think people were expecting a combine similar to Keon. iirc he was just ok in the scrimmages.

6 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I think people were expecting a combine similar to Keon. iirc he was just ok in the scrimmages.

A 39" vertical at 6'9" with a 7'0" wingspan is still super impressive, he's like 5 inches taller than Keon, lol. 

He had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 turnovers, and 5 fouls on 1/3 FG in 15 min the first scrimmage.

Followed by 12 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers, and 2 fouls on 5/8 in 19 min in the second scrimmage. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A 39" vertical at 6'9" with a 7'0" wingspan is still super impressive, he's like 5 inches taller than Keon, lol. 

He had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 turnovers, and 5 fouls on 1/3 FG in 15 min the first scrimmage.

Followed by 12 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers, and 2 fouls on 5/8 in 19 min in the second scrimmage. 

I'm not saying he ain't athletic. I like him a lot.  I think people were expecting a 45" vert or something crazy though, and then his still good combine just got lost in the hype of Keon and that other Texas dude.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's all nice to hear but overpaying average players is the way that bad teams stay bad. Allen's production over the last 3 seasons has been virtually identical and he's definitely not worth $30M per year. 

You can't compare Mobley to what Bosh/AD became in the NBA, you have to compare him to what they were at the same stage. 

As freshman Mobley averaged 16/9/3, Davis averaged 14/10/5, and Bosh averaged 16/9/2. 

We don't have the shooting numbers for Bosh but as a freshman he shot 22/46 from 3 (47%) and 73% FT, this was with a shorter 3P line.

Mobley: 28/56 on mid-range jumpers (50%), 12/40 on 3's (30%)

Davis: 20/49 on mid-range jumpers (40%), 3/20 on 3's (15%) 

What make Mobley so special is his movement and fluidity at his size. I don't really see a lot of parallels between Mobley and Ayton. Ayton was more of a throw back big, he was 7'0" 260 with a 7'0" WS coming into the draft and made his living around the rim. But his lack of length, even at his size limited his shot blocking ability in college and he hasn't been a great shot blocker in the NBA either. 

Mobley needs to gain weight/strength but it's his length, movement, and explosiveness that make him a special defensive prospect. He'll be an elite rim protector that can switch onto smaller players. And I think in terms of offensive skill set he showed more as a ball handler/shooter than Ayton did because Mobley's post up numbers were actually pretty meh at USC. 

The draft is about projection and Mobley flashed the ability to face up, hit jump shots, and put the ball on the floor. He's still a work in progress but I think offensively he's a lot closer to someone like Bosh then Ayton. 

I will say that I don't think Allen gets a deal anywhere near that. If anything, part of me thinks that whatever teams offer him are going to have people like Brownie making decisions, and they are gonna think "there's no way they will match this offer, they just drafted Evan, they don't need two centers", and offer him less money than they would have had we drafted someone else. For me to move the pick, I would have to feel that we clear and away won the trade. If Orlando wanted it that bad, I'd need #5, #8, #33, Ross, Harris and Carter Jr for #3, Love, Osman, and one of our round 2 picks next year. 

@Jeezla Brown is definitely a boom/bust guy but you can't teach his physical tools and he hit 1.2 3's per game at a 33% clip (ranked 64th percentile C&S). The biggest issue with him right now is that his offensive game is either catch & shoot, straight line drive, or catch a lob. Needs to improve his handle and look to pass, still can't believe he had 10 assists and 60 turnovers in 26 games, lol. 

When he was locked in defensively he was great on the glass, showed the ability to stay in front of guys, and blocked shots at a high rate. He also just fouls a a crazy high rate as well, 5.8 fouls per 40 last season, lol. 

I'm not sure he'll ever be much of a creator so the swing factors for him will be learning to defend without fouling and hitting more 3's at a higher clip. Because if he can do those things he projects as a guy that can switch 1-4 defensively. And offensively you can park him in the corner for open 3's or as a lob threat when the weakside defender comes to help.

Didn't help that he played for Shaka Smart who developed absolutely no one at Texas.

8 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm not saying he ain't athletic. I like him a lot.  I think people were expecting a 45" vert or something crazy though, and then his still good combine just got lost in the hype of Keon and that other Texas dude.

He has bounce, he's just so tall that he doesn't have to jump as high to make it look like he has bounce. He has an 8'11" standing reach in comparison to Keon who has an 8'1" standing reach. Jericho Sims being 6'10" with an 8'10" standing reach and a 45" vertical is insane. 

13 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I will say that I don't think Allen gets a deal anywhere near that. If anything, part of me thinks that whatever teams offer him are going to have people like Brownie making decisions, and they are gonna think "there's no way they will match this offer, they just drafted Evan, they don't need two centers", and offer him less money than they would have had we drafted someone else. 

You'd be surprised. Teams that are signing RFA to offer sheets almost always overpay in hopes that the other team won't match it. Which is why we've seen guys like Otto Porter (4 yr/$107M), Evan Fouriner (5 yr/$85M), Allen Crabbe (4 yr/$75M), and Tyler Johnson (4 yr/$50M) sign crazy offer sheets in recent free agencies. It's almost like a poison pill, especially if it's a player on a team that's competitive in your conference. Like the Nets giving Otto that deal forced the Wizards to pay him and then he fell off and they as a team also fell off. 

ETA: Most really good players also never even hit RFA, their teams extend them as soon as they're eligible. 

Edited by NYRaider

13 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

If Orlando wanted it that bad, I'd need #5, #8, #33, Ross, Harris and Carter Jr for #3, Love, Osman, and one of our round 2 picks next year. 

That wouldn't be a bad move for either team. I'm bigger on WCJ than most plus Ross/Harris can both help you immediately on the wing. 

In that scenario if I'm Cleveland I'd take Barnes/Kuminga at #5, then look to move #8 for future draft capital, you don't really need to add 2 more young guys right now if you're already getting Ross, Harris, WCJ, Kuminga/Barnes, and retaining Allen. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You'd be surprised. Teams that are signing RFA to offer sheets almost always overpay in hopes that the other team won't match it. Which is why we've seen guys like Otto Porter (4 yr/$107M), Evan Fouriner (5 yr/$85M), Allen Crabbe (4 yr/$75M), and Tyler Johnson (4 yr/$50M) sign crazy offer sheets in recent free agencies. It's almost like a poison pill, especially if it's a player on a team that's competitive in your conference. Like the Nets giving Otto that deal forced the Wizards to pay him and then he fell off and they as a team also fell off. 

ETA: Most really good players also never even hit RFA, their teams extend them as soon as they're eligible. 

unfortunately this was Koby's first good move in about 4 years, so I think he was a little shocked that the deal was accepted and forgot to go negotiate the contract extension. 

That'd set Cleveland's roster up as 

PG - Darius Garland 

SG - Collin Sexton | Gary Harris

SF - Isaac Okoro | Terrance Ross

PF - Jonathan Kuminga | Taurean Prince | Larry Nance

C - Jarrett Allen | Wendell Carter Jr

A lot of flexibility with those 5 at the 3/4, might need another PG but Sexton can run the 1 when Garland's on the bench.