2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

That wouldn't be a bad move for either team. I'm bigger on WCJ than most plus Ross/Harris can both help you immediately on the wing. 

In that scenario if I'm Cleveland I'd take Barnes/Kuminga at #5, then look to move #8 for future draft capital, you don't really need to add 2 more young guys right now if you're already getting Ross, Harris, WCJ, Kuminga/Barnes, and retaining Allen. 

I'd most likely be flipping WCJ and at some point during the season depending on how we are contending, be looking at flipping some of our expiring contracts for assets or players as well. I actually might call up Memphis and see how much they would be willing to give up to move up from 10 as well. 

2 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

unfortunately this was Koby's first good move in about 4 years, so I think he was a little shocked that the deal was accepted and forgot to go negotiate the contract extension. 

In fairness you guys parlayed Jordan Clarkson into Dante Exum into Allen/Prince, so you didn't give up much to land Allen. I actually think it was smart that he waited to extend him. You guys need to figure out what your identity is going to be as you build your core. The small back court will have issues defensively so you'll need a good rim protector to remedy that but Allen really didn't show he was capable of doing that last season. 

3 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I'd most likely be flipping WCJ and at some point during the season depending on how we are contending, be looking at flipping some of our expiring contracts for assets or players as well. I actually might call up Memphis and see how much they would be willing to give up to move up from 10 as well. 

You guys are in a good spot, imo. But this off-season is going to play a defining role on what your team is going forward. You're not committed to Sexton/Allen long-term yet, you have the #3 pick with an elite prospect to be had there, and you have some other good young talent in guys like Okoro and Garland. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In fairness you guys parlayed Jordan Clarkson into Dante Exum into Allen/Prince, so you didn't give up much to land Allen. I actually think it was smart that he waited to extend him. You guys need to figure out what your identity is going to be as you build your core. The small back court will have issues defensively so you'll need a good rim protector to remedy that but Allen really didn't show he was capable of doing that last season. 

He flashed quite a bit. I think the issue was that teams really gunned at is in pick and roll plays. They would pull him away from the paint, and our guards struggled pretty bad in the pick and roll, so we got destroyed. Adding Mobley will remedy this a lot. I think Mobley can be a legit, Bam Adabayo type defender, and having another guy paired with him that can play in the paint is a good thing IMO. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You guys are in a good spot, imo. But this off-season is going to play a defining role on what your team is going forward. You're not committed to Sexton/Allen long-term yet, you have the #3 pick with an elite prospect to be had there, and you have some other good young talent in guys like Okoro and Garland. 

I was referring to if we did that deal with Orlando and moved down to #5 and #8, I'd see what they were willing to offer to move up. I wouldn't move from #3 to #10. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

He flashed quite a bit. I think the issue was that teams really gunned at is in pick and roll plays. They would pull him away from the paint, and our guards struggled pretty bad in the pick and roll, so we got destroyed. Adding Mobley will remedy this a lot. I think Mobley can be a legit, Bam Adabayo type defender, and having another guy paired with him that can play in the paint is a good thing IMO. 

Despite his height/length he's just a good, not great defender/rim protector. He also wasn't great in pick-n-roll defense himself (ranked 38th percentile) and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he's not laterally quick enough to switch onto guards and your guards aren't big enough to switch on to bigger players. Even last year in Brooklyn he ranked in the 18th percentile in pick-n-roll defense. 

It's also weird that the Cavaliers as a team actually had a better defensive rating when Allen was off the court. 

I agree about Mobley, the league is trending away from traditional 5's but he has the skills to thrive in the league anyways, especially if he can hit jumpers consistently. 

56 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I was referring to if we did that deal with Orlando and moved down to #5 and #8, I'd see what they were willing to offer to move up. I wouldn't move from #3 to #10. 

In that scenario I'd tell Memphis to give up Brandon Clarke + #10 to move up to #5. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Orlando's player development staff isn't very good. Guys come in as raw athletes and leave as worse basketball players.

not wrong... but you're referencing 4 different staffs when you say orlando's player development staff 

With more chatter that Josh Giddey is likely going to go #7 to the Warriors, I actually think it'd be a pretty solid pick for them. Especially after seeing how guys like LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton were able to make the transition from the NBL to the NBA. The 3 point shooting is a question mark and he's not a great athlete but he's a legit playmaker/passer. Like people say Cade is a PG/primary passer, no, this kid is light years ahead as a creator for others. 

Josh Giddey averaged 11 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 7.5 apg on 42% FG, 30% 3FG (1.0 3PM)

For comparison

LaMelo shot 37% FG (17 FGA), 25% 3FG (1.7 3PM), and averaged 6.8 apg in the NBL.

This season in the NBA he shot 44% FG (13 FGA), 35% 3FG (1.8 3PM), and averaged 6.1 assists.

RJ Hampton shot 40% FG (8 FGA), 29% 3FG (0.9 3PM)

This season in the NBA he shot 44% FG (10 FGA), 32% 3FG (0.8 3PM) 

So we've seen two other young guards make the transition and see an uptick in efficiency shooting the ball both overall and from 3, even while taking more shots. And LaMelo's playmaking numbers in the NBA were almost identical to what he did in the NBL. 

Not saying that he's LaMelo but I don't think it's unfair to assume that he'd adjust to the league in a similar way with better efficiency and hit the 3 at a higher clip playing in the NBA with better spacing. 

Not a ton of 6'8" guys that are legit PG's with his passing ability, basketball IQ, and ball handling at 18. I think adding someone like Giddey would really help with Wiseman's development as well because ideally you'd run a ton of pick-n-roll with those two with the second unit. 

@agarcia34 @J-ALL-DAY