2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With more chatter that Josh Giddey is likely going to go #7 to the Warriors, I actually think it'd be a pretty solid pick for them. Especially after seeing how guys like LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton were able to make the transition from the NBL to the NBA. The 3 point shooting is a question mark and he's not a great athlete but he's a legit playmaker/passer. Like people say Cade is a PG/primary passer, no, this kid is light years ahead as a creator for others. 

Josh Giddey averaged 11 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 7.5 apg on 42% FG, 30% 3FG (1.0 3PM)

For comparison

LaMelo shot 37% FG (17 FGA), 25% 3FG (1.7 3PM), and averaged 6.8 apg in the NBL.

This season in the NBA he shot 44% FG (13 FGA), 35% 3FG (1.8 3PM), and averaged 6.1 assists.

RJ Hampton shot 40% FG (8 FGA), 29% 3FG (0.9 3PM)

This season in the NBA he shot 44% FG (10 FGA), 32% 3FG (0.8 3PM) 

So we've seen two other young guards make the transition and see an uptick in efficiency shooting the ball both overall and from 3, even while taking more shots. And LaMelo's playmaking numbers in the NBA were almost identical to what he did in the NBL. 

Not saying that he's LaMelo but I don't think it's unfair to assume that he'd adjust to the league in a similar way with better efficiency and hit the 3 at a higher clip playing in the NBA with better spacing. 

Not a ton of 6'8" guys that are legit PG's with his passing ability, basketball IQ, and ball handling at 18. I think adding someone like Giddey would really help with Wiseman's development as well because ideally you'd run a ton of pick-n-roll with those two with the second unit. 

@agarcia34 @J-ALL-DAY

Hello, if Bouk goes 6 and Giddey goes 7, would you go Kuminga at 8 after taking Barnes at 5?

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Hello, if Bouk goes 6 and Giddey goes 7, would you go Kuminga at 8 after taking Barnes at 5?

Would probably go Moses Moody in that scenario. I think Barnes, Kuminga, and Isaac is pretty redundant. Not a sexy pick but he can play the 2/3 and will be a good pro, not a super high ceiling but also a pretty high floor. 

Taking Moody would also allow you to flip Harris who's on an expiring deal and has played well in the past. As well as Ross who I'd assume would be pretty appealing for a playoff team as a guy coming off back to back 15+ ppg seasons that shoots the 3 at a decent clip and has a cheap contract at 2 yr/$24M.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Would probably go Moses Moody in that scenario. I think Barnes, Kuminga, and Isaac is pretty redundant. Not a sexy pick but he can play the 2/3 and will be a good pro, not a super high ceiling but also a pretty high floor. 

Taking Moody would also allow you to flip Harris who's on an expiring deal and has played well in the past. As well as Ross who I'd assume would be pretty appealing for a playoff team as a guy coming off back to back 15+ ppg seasons that shoots the 3 at a decent clip and has a cheap contract at 2 yr/$24M.

Agreed. Sleeper at 8 would be Sengun. 

fwiw

Edited by KhanYouDigIt

2 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

No idea what we'll do. Could trade the pick to move down. Could make a trade to move up. Could move out of the draft entirely. 

Moody if he's on the board would make sense. Keon Johnson would also be a great pick although he's not ready to make an instant impact. I don't think you guys will go big though, probably sign someone in FA.

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Agreed. Sleeper at 8 would be Sengun. 

fwiw

Barnes at #5 followed by Sengun at #8 would be a weird duo to add, imo. Sengun is skilled but I think his upside is probably like a Nurkic type of 5, good scorer in the post, good rebounder, and a good passer. He needs to expand his shooting range but I don't think he'll ever be able to defend in space. 

So the Magic would be adding two non-shooters to a group with a ton of non-shooters. 

I watched a lot of Giddey last year. It's obviously great that he sees the floor the way he does but LaMelo is such a vastly superior athlete. Giddey is a project and yes I understand any 18 year old international player is likely a project but I just think Giddey is gonna struggle for a few years and may never take off. Don't think he'll be able to guard like LaMelo early on.

Edited by Troy Brown

3 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I watched a lot of Giddey last year. It's obviously great that he sees the floor the way he does but LaMelo is such a vastly superior athlete. Giddey is a project and yes I understand any 18 year old international player is likely a project but I just think Giddey is gonna struggle for a few years and may never take off. Don't think he'll be able to guard like LaMelo early on.

I think fellow Aussie Joe Ingles is a decent comparison if he can improve as a 3 point shooter. Not a great athlete but still a guy that's crafty enough to score and be a very good 6th man. 

8 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I would take Kuminga, or trade down to someone who wants Kuminga.  I still think in the NBA you draft best player and only look at position or fit on roster if you have guys close.  I think Kuminga still has the highest ceiling in the draft after the top 3 but Suggs has a much higher floor so understand going Suggs but after that I would rather take a swing at Kuminga than a deep flier on Moody/Giddy/Sengun.  He is so young and athletic with a lot of upside as he matures.  It is redundant but its about upside and if Kuminga turns out it is a much bigger hit than Moody.  Also, Kuminga shot pretty well in HS (44/39/78) so he has it and have to take the G League with a grain of salt knowing his age and the small sample size. 

A commitment by the Detroit Pistons to select Cade Cunningham first overall "could be imminent," sources tell Jonathan Givony of ESPN.

Both the front office and ownership are on the same page on Cunningham.

"Cunningham's standing in Detroit has strengthened throughout the pre-draft process to the point that it would be extremely surprising if the Pistons did anything but pick him No. 1," writes Givony.

Im happy for Pistons fans. 

7 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I'm of the same mind. Watched as much YouTube stuff on him as I could since the trade, and I'm skeptical. I'll have to trust Memphis because they've killed the draft the last 3 years, but I'd be disappointed if he's the end game of losing Jonas.

Now if we miraculously end up with Primo or Christopher at #40 as well, then I'd feel better.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

Im happy for Pistons fans. 

I wish I wasn't such a Green fan and could feel better about this.  I hope Cade is legit.  We got lucky and had the top pick in a year with a ton of talent opposed to an Anthony Bennet type year so I just hope its the right call long term.  I know anything else will have local media and fans calling for their heads but I just feel Green will be the better player when careers are over.    

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I wish I wasn't such a Green fan and could feel better about this.  I hope Cade is legit.  We got lucky and had the top pick in a year with a ton of talent opposed to an Anthony Bennet type year so I just hope its the right call long term.  I know anything else will have local media and fans calling for their heads but I just feel Green will be the better player when careers are over.    

I feel like there’s a chance green doesn’t even go 2nd and instead it’s Suggs