2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Surprising. Memphis is willing to move up for a veteran.

Just doesn't make sense to me unless they plan on waiting a little longer and then trading these picks in the summer or potentially during the season? You are relying on THREE 19-21 year olds to be contributors on a title contending team? Since when has that ever happened? I get planning ahead but lawd look at your damn core, you have to win now. I'm not even asking for a superstar, but just get some really good role players for at least one of those lottery picks. 

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Why? Buddy gets buckets. His lack of defense isn't a big deal with Gasol/AD/Lebron. Hes exactly what the Lakers need honestly. 

If KCP is gone, who will they put on opposing wings? KCP is that guy on the team that chases through every screen, plays hard every game and takes on the opposing team's best perimeter player. Buddy would be very good for the Lakers no doubt, but it would be better if they can get him without giving up KCP.

Schroder/Buddy/KCP/LBJ/AD is a very good line up on both ends. But it all comes down to AD playing C as that will giving LBJ and Schroder the spacing they need to get to the cup.

5 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Why? Buddy gets buckets. His lack of defense isn't a big deal with Gasol/AD/Lebron. Hes exactly what the Lakers need honestly. 

Yeah, Buddy is way better of a scorer than KPJ. Lakers just need someone taking pressure off Bron and AD. 

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

He would help, but that's an overpay IMO. Especially since Hield is a diva. Get #39 back and that's close to fair value.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just doesn't make sense to me unless they plan on waiting a little longer and then trading these picks in the summer or potentially during the season? You are relying on THREE 19-21 year olds to be contributors on a title contending team? Since when has that ever happened? I get planning ahead but lawd look at your damn core, you have to win now. I'm not even asking for a superstar, but just get some really good role players for at least one of those lottery picks. 

Kyle Anderson for #14 and Kevon Looney.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The only reason it'd make sense for the Lakers is because it'd put you right under the salary cap line by like $500k if you sent Harrell, Kuzma, KCP, and the #22 picks salary out. 

You guys would be at $108.6M with only LeBron, AD, Buddy, McKinnie, and Gasol under contract. Which I believe would give you guys the ability to either sign a player using your full MLE ($9.5M) or split into 2 smaller contracts ($4.75M/each). 

Split it into two smaller MLE's and use those deals to sign DeRozan and a veteran PG like Dragic or Rose. 

DeRozan isn't signing for less than $15M/year.  He's not taking that big of a paycut.

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

He would help, but that's an overpay IMO. Especially since Hield is a diva. Get #39 back and that's close to fair value.

Agreed.  Think it's going to end up being Kuzma/Harrell/22 for Hield/39.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  Think it's going to end up being Kuzma/Harrell/22 for Hield/39.

If this goes through then they'll really need to prioritize big wings in free agency.

Let Caruso and Drummond walk, re-sign THT, hope the market dries up on Schroeder and he comes back on a 1 year, $12 million deal, re-sign Morris to the minimum, sign Reggie Bullock to the taxpayer MLE, sign Dieng to the minimum.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

If this goes through then they'll really need to prioritize big wings in free agency.

Let Caruso and Drummond walk, re-sign THT, hope the market dries up on Schroeder and he comes back on a 1 year, $12 million deal, re-sign Morris to the minimum, sign Reggie Bullock to the taxpayer MLE, sign Dieng to the minimum.

Caruso will almost certainly be back.  Think he might get as much as $12M/year.  He fits that 3&D guard that they need coming off the bench.  Obviously, THT will be back.  They didn't hold him out of the Lowry trade talks if they weren't prepared to pay him.  Think he comes in a bit cheaper than what I think most people are anticipating.  Schroder probably goes via S&T.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Caruso will almost certainly be back.  Think he might get as much as $12M/year.  He fits that 3&D guard that they need coming off the bench.  Obviously, THT will be back.  They didn't hold him out of the Lowry trade talks if they weren't prepared to pay him.  Think he comes in a bit cheaper than what I think most people are anticipating.  Schroder probably goes via S&T.

If Schroeder is gone, then yeah, bring both Caruso and THT back. But if they bring Schroeder back, then I doubt they pay to bring back both Caruso and THT. They should prioritize THT in that scenario.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

If Schroeder is gone, then yeah, bring both Caruso and THT back. But if they bring Schroeder back, then I doubt they pay to bring back both Caruso and THT. They should prioritize THT in that scenario.

Schroder isn't going to be a Lakers long-term IMO.  He views himself as better than he actually is, and he seems more concerned about having a bigger role in the offense rather than playing within the offense.  The Knicks are the one team I'm concerned that might throw a large offer at him.  I think if the Lakers can S&T him potentially as part of a deal for another PG, that'd be the most ideal scenario.  I believe they can trade him with his Y1 salary being around $18.6M without it getting complicated, so a huge TPE worth $18.6M would be quite valuable in terms of flexibility.

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Letting Caruso walk would be a huge mistake unless he's asking for a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Letting Caruso walk would be a huge mistake unless he's asking for a lot of money.

If they bring back Schroeder, then they can't pay all 3 of him, Caruso, and THT. Most seem to expect Caruso to get the MLE or higher, same with THT (maybe a little less for him).

I'm simply saying in that scenario, I'd prioritize THT over Caruso.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

If they bring back Schroeder, then they can't pay all 3 of him, Caruso, and THT. Most seem to expect Caruso to get the MLE or higher, same with THT (maybe a little less for him).

I'm simply saying in that scenario, I'd prioritize THT over Caruso.

They can.  Paying the luxury tax has always been something the Lakers were willing to do if they were contenders.  I'd imagine the Lakers will be a tax team for the next couple of years, and then when LeBron retires/leaves they'll dip below the luxury tax.  And in your scenario, Schroder signs a 1 year deal.