2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Yeah this really screwed up the OKC “the process”. Outside of their own, they’re likely looking at a bunch of middling first round picks which is the risk you take when you tank and trade everyone for draft picks. Plus, SGA isn’t going to hang around on a team with zero talent in Oklahoma City lol

So Cade has to be the pick for us but Green just fits our roster better.  I wouldn't be mad if we drop down to 2 or 3 and grab Green (or Mobley if Green goes 2) sort of like what the Celtics did when they got Tatum.  I am guessing we sit tight and take Cade but would the Rockets be willing to give up anything worth while to jump to 1? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So Cade has to be the pick for us but Green just fits our roster better.  I wouldn't be mad if we drop down to 2 or 3 and grab Green (or Mobley if Green goes 2) sort of like what the Celtics did when they got Tatum.  I am guessing we sit tight and take Cade but would the Rockets be willing to give up anything worth while to jump to 1? 

5, 8, '25 DEN 1st, cole anthony for 1

45 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

2nd and pick 23 for pick 1 works?

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

2nd and pick 23 for pick 1 works?

I am assuming if we did it we would want a future pick, likely with some protections on it but I honestly would consider this if they really have Green and Cade that close.  Maybe need one of those future Brooklyn picks like te 2026 1st which should be decent given Harden and Durant will be done/gone by then. 

9 hours ago, Kirill said:

Nope. For starters, all the other teams that got good picks are in the East. Excluding the Rockets, but they have incredibly bad ownership and will never be a threat to us. Secondly, we have 22 year old rockstar Shai Gilgeious Alexander (check his $tats), while all of these other teams have nothing. The PISTONS? We're supposed to be mad at them? Nope. Not going to play that game.

And Cleveland will trade us that 3rd pick. You heard it here first folks. You tell me who says no to this deal....

OKC sends....
Darius Bazley
6th pick
16th pick
34th pick
2022 PHX 1st round pick

CLE sends
3rd pick

Cleveland 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kirill said:

Nope. For starters, all the other teams that got good picks are in the East. Excluding the Rockets, but they have incredibly bad ownership and will never be a threat to us. Secondly, we have 22 year old rockstar Shai Gilgeious Alexander (check his $tats), while all of these other teams have nothing. The PISTONS? We're supposed to be mad at them? Nope. Not going to play that game.

And Cleveland will trade us that 3rd pick. You heard it here first folks. You tell me who says no to this deal....

OKC sends....
Darius Bazley
6th pick
16th pick
34th pick
2022 PHX 1st round pick

CLE sends
3rd pick

I wouldn't do that if I am Cleveland.  They get Mobely or Green, and I'd take the chances on that over end of the first round fodder.

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah this really screwed up the OKC “the process”. Outside of their own, they’re likely looking at a bunch of middling first round picks which is the risk you take when you tank and trade everyone for draft picks. Plus, SGA isn’t going to hang around on a team with zero talent in Oklahoma City lol

I think they'll be more competitive than people expect (they already were before they forced the tank) but in general I agree. If they don't get high picks then the process is simply going to be giving up assets to get other stars down the line instead of drafting them yourself.

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

I think they'll be more competitive than people expect (they already were before they forced the tank) but in general I agree. If they don't get high picks then the process is simply going to be giving up assets to get other stars down the line instead of drafting them yourself.

They really only need one more if they can keep SGA around.  They would likely need to be bad for a couple more years but could easily be the worst team in 2023 and end up with Emoni Bates.  Its a long process but would be worth it. 

Just now, Bullet Club said:

It'll really depend on if SGA is willing to wait it out. If he expresses desire to leave in two years, what do you do?  The Thunder really needed to land a top 3 pick in this draft I think. What picks do they have that are even enticing? The 2024 Houston first is top 4 protected, Houstons 2025 swap is top 10 protected, Phillys 2025 is top 5 protected, Houstons 2026 is top 4 protected.

I mean none of those picks are really that valuable. Houstons picks probably will be in the 8-12 range which could be useful in trade talks but it's going to be tough for OKC to get a star with those picks.

27 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

It'll really depend on if SGA is willing to wait it out. If he expresses desire to leave in two years, what do you do?  The Thunder really needed to land a top 3 pick in this draft I think. What picks do they have that are even enticing? The 2024 Houston first is top 4 protected, Houstons 2025 swap is top 10 protected, Phillys 2025 is top 5 protected, Houstons 2026 is top 4 protected.

I mean none of those picks are really that valuable. Houstons picks probably will be in the 8-12 range which could be useful in trade talks but it's going to be tough for OKC to get a star with those picks.

He's going to sign the max so I imagine that gives them at least three years from now before he wants out. I agree that right now the picks aren't looking all that valuable but simply in terms of sheer abundance they'd probably be able to get someone.

6, 16?, 18

LAC 1st, Phx 1st

Own 1st/LAC pick swap, Den 1st (top 14 protected), Mia 1st (top 14 protected)

Own 1st, Houston 1st (top 4 protected), LAC 1st

Own 1st/pick swap from Hou or LAC, Phi 1st (top 6 protected)

Own 1st, Hou 1st (top 4 protected), LAC 1st

You're probably looking at mid-late 20's in 2022, a lottery pick and two more picks in the 20's in 2023, a lottery pick in 2024 plus a slight unknown in LAC (George/Kawhi will be getting up there), and then a bunch of moonshots in 2025/2026 that we have no clue what they will be.

In 2023 you could certainly make a deal with one of the young guys you've drafted who has promise, maybe another guy they have rehabilitated and multiple picks over the next three years and get a star who wants out. 

Edited by Bullet Club