2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Does Houston enter this draft considering Wood a building block? If yes, then I think Suggs is the pick. If not, then either Mobley or Suggs. Green in play too of course but I think he's #4 of the big 4. 

I mean, Mobley and Woods could play together, but I can't imagine a team in the 2020s built around 2 big men. 

Even if you don't consider Woods a building block there will be rim running, athletic bigs available at their later picks. I like Suggs but would definitely not take him #2 overall over a guy like Green. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Even if you don't consider Woods a building block there will be rim running, athletic bigs available at their later picks. I like Suggs but would definitely not take him #2 overall over a guy like Green. 

Im eying Usman Garaba, Charles Bassey and Isiah Jackson with one of the late 1sts.

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So Cade has to be the pick for us but Green just fits our roster better.  I wouldn't be mad if we drop down to 2 or 3 and grab Green (or Mobley if Green goes 2) sort of like what the Celtics did when they got Tatum.  I am guessing we sit tight and take Cade but would the Rockets be willing to give up anything worth while to jump to 1? 

I don't think you even entertain the idea of passing on Cade. Cade can create but he's more Jayson Tatum then he is Luka Doncic so he fits well with Hayes, imo. I still think Hayes is going to be a stud. 

8 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

If that’s the case, then I hope Curry doesn’t re-sign and leaves after this year.

I just think they realize that they're not going to net much for a package of Wiggins, Wiseman, and the two picks. And even if they were to trade those 4 pieces for a player, they'd be extremely top heavy again next season. Klay's like 31 and coming off of 2 major lower body injuries so who knows how he'll look when he comes back. 

I think they're just banking on Klay returning to form, Wiggins/Wiseman developing, and then will look to add 2 guys who can contribute in their rotation immediately. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

If Suggs is the pick then that tells me they dont think highly of Kevin Porter Jr.  Its going to be down to Green and Mobley. Suggs is a tier below them IMO. 

Im leaning more towards liking Green but man Mobley is going to be a flat out stud.   Stone cant go wrong either way. 

If Suggs is the pick wouldn't that indicate that they're high on KPJ, since he's more of a natural 2 guard? And agreed, I think Suggs ceiling is like a Jrue Holiday type of player. 

If the Rockets take Mobley over Green they will regret it just like the Warriors regret going Wiseman over Ball.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If Suggs is the pick wouldn't that indicate that they're high on KPJ, since he's more of a natural 2 guard? And agreed, I think Suggs ceiling is like a Jrue Holiday type of player. 

If the Rockets take Mobley over Green they will regret it just like the Warriors regret going Wiseman over Ball.

I think the Rockets like Porter Jr more at the 1.   I know some people are high on Suggs playing the 2 in some instances but I dont really like the fit of Suggs and Porter since neither are very good shooters from 3. 

Edited by Texansfan713

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I think the Rockets like Porter Jr more at the 1.   I know some people are high on Suggs playing the 2 in some instances but I dont really like the fit of Suggs and Porter since neither are very good shooters from 3. 

Agreed. I like Suggs but think he's a little overrated. I think there's a higher chance he's a Ricky Rubio/Lonzo Ball then a superstar. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cleveland is reportedly open to moving #3, Orlando should move up.

This was reported last night before the lottery. In an interview today he made it sound like the Cavs ROSTER was up for grabs in trades, but that getting a top 3 pick changes the teams direction. 

This all of a sudden becomes a very interesting off-season for Toronto. Getting the 4th pick is great I’m hoping we don’t overthink things but I also trust our scouting department but I’d say there’s a 98% chance we land one of Mobley, Green or Suggs. I think I’d put it in that order of preference as well but fully acknowledging that’s probably almost everyone’s order of those 3 prospects. Assuming Detroit doesn’t do something weird or trades down they land Cade who is the top prize in this draft and Mobley/Green in whatever order go 2-3. Mobley fits our biggest need positionally and Green fills our biggest weakness of scoring but Suggs just seems like such a Raptors player despite the fact that we’ve been so G heavy shouldn’t be a huge factor to reach for Kuminga or Barnes at 4 unless Orlando, OKC or GS want to give us some kind of big offer which I wouldn’t say I’m exactly running to make but am a little more open to than last night. As it clearly seems like a 4 player draft. 

First things first Kyle Lowry if he does resign which I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion he is gone but also accept that it’s more likely than not he’s gone. He complicates things but not that much in all honesty if we get either Green or Suggs we have yet another G and Flynn probably suffers the most after proving to be a capable player last season. Lowry should easily be welcomed back for a year or two and we adjust going from there which leads me to the second conundrum.

Gary Trent Jr. whom I’m not 100% sold on coming back I understand perhaps it’s poor asset management to not bring him back after what we gave up for him but I feel someone WILL overpay for him and I don’t necessarily love it being us. With Green/Suggs in the mix it already seems less likely we would want to overpay and if by chance Lowry returns to have a backcourt of Lowry, FVV, Green/Suggs, Trent, Flynn and Harris seems like a problem. 

The big man situation. Mobley solves almost all those issues regardless if Lowry resigns it makes the idea of spending on Trent a little more palpable but it seems like the least likely pick as I imagine he goes 2 or 3. If not him than whom? It seems likely we resign Birch but we need more Boucher is another smaller question as I’m not positive he returns either we need to look into a Noel or Holmes type of fix and if we resign Lowry and/or pay up for Trent that becomes a lot more difficult to manage. 

This is a fun but interesting dilemma right now that I can’t wait to see how plays out. We have the cap room and the pick to make some kind of splash but how will we use it? I think the best case scenario is Lowry on a one year deal and drafting Mobley and then deciding to let Trent walk and play the market next year. That also as of now seems like the least likely of possible scenarios. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

with the OKC-SGA timeline kinda being weird, is out of the realm of possibility they'd consider

5, 8, chuma okeke, markelle fultz and DEN 25' 1st for SGA? 

How is the timeline weird? SGA is 22...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Bledsoe isn’t a bad contract tbh. It’s only partially guaranteed. It’s an easy dump. 

Didn't realize it was a partial guarantee. Hmmm...

I'd drop #35, but still probably wouldn't add a future 1st unless it's somewhat protected. If I have to add a future 1st, then I'd ask for a swap of #35 for #51.

So that would be:

Memphis receives: #10, #35, Eric Bledsoe

New Orleans receives: #17, #51, 2022 Utah 1st (lottery protected: goes to Utah if 1-6, Memphis if 7-14, New Orleans 15-30. Would add details for future years obviously), Grayson Allen, Justice Winslow

*Again...if Bouknight is there at #10