2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, brownie man said:

Windhorst doesn’t know what he’s talking about anymore at least when it comes to the Cavs. 

Right now I’d guess Green would be the pick, but personally I would love to trade down with Orlando and pickup 5 and 8. Go Kuminga and Jalean Johnson. That would be much better for our roster 

Green is probably going #2 to Houston. And Kuminga + Johnson seems kinda redundant especially since you just drafted Okoro last season. How many forwards that can't shoot or score do you need?

I was the biggest Killian Hayes stan on here last year, Detroit is low key building a solid young core with Cunningham, Hayes, Bey, and Stewart. If Grant plays at the same level next year and Cade is as good as advertised the Pistons should be able to push for a playoff spot.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Green is probably going #2 to Houston. And Kuminga + Johnson seems kinda redundant especially since you just drafted Okoro last season. How many forwards that can't shoot or score do you need?

We really need to play Okoro at the 2 he’s not a true 3.  We’re playing him out of necessity. I think Johnson can play the 4

kuminga could be super good, i see the intrigue. but i don't trust that kid to develop. out of the top prospects, i'm least convinced by him that he actually likes basketball. he brings no juice to a team from a personality stand point. just not a guy i'd wanna add to my program. even just in the schmitz prospect film YT series he deflects any critiques and just seems to think he's already a finished product... very shabazz muhammad-like in just his lack of self awareness imo. i dunno man if they magic take him, i'm not gonna be too upset because i get it... but he's just not an easy guy to really get behind from a personality/attitude stand point. i'm also not buying that he's 18. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Cavaliers are in an interesting spot at #3. The Rockets could take Evan Mobley or Jalen Green and whichever one is left isn’t really a great fit with your current roster construction. Jarrett Allen is a a RFA but I can’t imagine the team let’s him walk this summer. Assuming the Rockets go Green at #2 do you take Mobley who’s best suited to play the 5 when the league is trending away from traditional big men? 

Brian Windhorst said the Cavaliers will likely take Suggs and trade Sexton. Which would be a weird move, IMO cause he doesn’t fit great next to Garland either. 

My guess is the Rockets take Green. Mobley would be a great fit for our overall roster construction. Allen is nice, but he's a limited player, and you don't miss out on Mobley just because you have had Jarrett Allen for half a season. He could sign back with us as a RFA and we could roll with it and see how it works out. Mobley has versatility on defense and having two rim protectors would be nice considering Garland can't guard a soul. Plus, Mobley will help Garland because he's a pick and roll beast and Garland has had great success in PnR situations with good lob threats. Mobley would just have to develop offensively a bit. Even if he stays the same player he is now, he's solidly the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft.

Garland is going to be really good. He's selected to be on the Team USA select team. This is roughly the same trajectory as when Kyrie started popping off. Obviously Kyrie was on another level, but the Garland we got this year was averaging 20 and 7 over the last half of the season. The growth is being recognized now. Garland is a natural point guard and is just getting more and more confidence as he goes. 

The odd man out is probably Sexton, because he is more one dimensional than Garland. He isn't a very natural or smart passer. He can locate shooters off of his drives and he's technically gotten better as a passer, but anyone that watches the Cavs closely knows Darius has an undeniable feel to running the offense and making the team flow better. 

Especially since we need a true 3 and D small forward. Okoro is great and an interesting prospect but he's better suited in the backcourt. 

We're gonna end up with something like:

Garland - Okoro - (newly acquired 3 and D) - Mobley - Allen

Plus, we could package Love with Sexton and bring in a floor spacing 4, or package Allen with Sexton. I know Allen is good, but he is limited and can't stay on the floor. He's basically Myles Turner without the floor spacing. He's a good defender he's just stiff and plodding through his switches. 

You can't miss out on a great prospect (Mobley) just because you have a good one already on the team (Allen). And we can play this game with Green too. Sexton is good, but he's limited in what he brings to the table. We would take Green in a heartbeat.

People are over-thinking the Cleveland thing. Koby has made sensible moves from lower draft spots and those players all turned out solid. Ownership forced his hand with the Kyrie trade. He had to try to surround LeBron for another run. He didn't get to do anything. 

This is his highest pick. He isn't gonna trade it. Cleveland will take whoever of Mobley or Green is still there and be very very pleased with themselves. 

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the reason you take Jalen Green at #2 is because if you want a mobile, athletic big who can switch to pair with Wood you can likely land Isaiah Jackson at #23 or package #23/#24 to move up for Kai Jones. They're not Mobley but they provide a similar skill-set and the gap between Mobley/Jones is significantly smaller then someone like Mann/Thomas and Green. 

@Texansfan713 @Pastor Dillon

I’m taking Suggs or Green at number 2. If we want a big to pair with Wood let’s just keep Olynck. If we take Mobley, we need to trade Wood. You can’t win in the modern league with two bigs. 

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m taking Suggs or Green at number 2. If we want a big to pair with Wood let’s just keep Olynck. If we take Mobley, we need to trade Wood. You can’t win in the modern league with two bigs. 

There wouldn't even be a consideration between who I'd take between Green/Suggs at the start of a major rebuild. Green has a chance to be the scoring champ at some point in his career, Suggs could be good but there's an equally big of a chance that he's the next Ricky Rubio or Lonzo Ball. These PG's that can't score or shoot but have "intangibles" and are winners taken at the top of the draft haven't proven to be worth it. And realistically when you look at all of the teams that have won titles, they've had big wings that could score. And the PG's who have been taken early who were good picks have been elite athletes in guys like Rose, Westbrook, Wall, etc and never won anything. 

17 minutes ago, brownie man said:

We really need to play Okoro at the 2 he’s not a true 3.  We’re playing him out of necessity. I think Johnson can play the 4

Kuminga's best fit in the modern game is at the 4 and you don't want Jalen Johnson, dude is so overrated and will be a locker room cancer. 

19 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

feel like they'll go scottie barnes and moses moody unless they're off the board or suggs/green falls to them or they get a good trade back 

Scottie Barnes is an interesting prospect reminds me of a mixture of Draymond Green and Jabari Parker just not as skilled of a scorer as Jabari coming out. 

34 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

kuminga could be super good, i see the intrigue. but i don't trust that kid to develop. out of the top prospects, i'm least convinced by him that he actually likes basketball. he brings no juice to a team from a personality stand point. just not a guy i'd wanna add to my program. even just in the schmitz prospect film YT series he deflects any critiques and just seems to think he's already a finished product... very shabazz muhammad-like in just his lack of self awareness imo. i dunno man if they magic take him, i'm not gonna be too upset because i get it... but he's just not an easy guy to really get behind from a personality/attitude stand point. i'm also not buying that he's 18. 

I personally love Kuminga's upside he reminds me of a Pascal Siakam/Kawhi Leonard hybrid from a physical tools/upside perspective. But he's going to have to end up in the right situation to capitalize on his skills. 

31 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

You can't miss out on a great prospect (Mobley) just because you have a good one already on the team (Allen). And we can play this game with Green too. Sexton is good, but he's limited in what he brings to the table. We would take Green in a heartbeat.

If you're going to draft Mobley I think you try to move Allen and Sexton on draft night to add more young pieces to your core that fit around Garland, Okoro, and Mobley. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I personally love Kuminga's upside he reminds me of a Pascal Siakam/Kawhi Leonard hybrid from a physical tools/upside perspective. But he's going to have to end up in the right situation to capitalize on his skills. 

i like the tools a ton. and i agree. just not the kind of dude that i trust to get to that level. doesn't have "it". he might though.