2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

5 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I don't think that's true, at all.  Ball just had a louder crowd that liked him.  Most seemed to have Wiseman higher, and as a more logical fit for GS, from my perspective.  People are jumping off of Wiseman really quick.  Big men take a little longer.   I'm interested in seeing what the consensus on this is in 5 years.

Tbh I think most people hated Ball AND Wiseman. The Wiseman hate was mostly the standard, "rim-running bigs like Hassan Whiteside are NBA minimum players at best" plus issues with his motor.

7 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Why leave out guys like Porzingis or Giannis?  His "year off isn't a whole lot different than Kyrie's.  Shawn Kemp is a guy that comes to mind as before he was drafted, David Robinson took 2 years off, after he was drafted. 

Porzingis has played 3 seasons in a top level European league before he entered the draft. Giannis played a season in the Greek top league and like 2 seasons in their lower level league before he entered the draft. Shawn Kemp is comparable because he never played college basketball but he also wasn't even a lottery pick. And David Robinson was dominant for 3 years at Navy before he entered the draft. Other than Kemp there was a ton of film of each of those other 3 playing against good competition before they entered the draft and only two of them were lottery picks. 

With guys like Exum, Kanter, Maker, and Wiseman the only film you had on them was over a year old against high school level competition. With Wiseman, Kanter, and Maker they had all taken a year off from playing at any level before entering the draft. 

Is Kanter considered that bad of a pick?  He hasn't been a great pro, but he's had a pretty productive career.

Kanter is a solid player but he definitely wasn't worth a top 3 pick. 

1 hour ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Tbh I think most people hated Ball AND Wiseman. The Wiseman hate was mostly the standard, "rim-running bigs like Hassan Whiteside are NBA minimum players at best" plus issues with his motor.

And the fact that he hadn't played in a year. Plus most scouts said he wanted to play like AD or Bosh but his skill-set was closer to someone like Clint Capela. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

How exactly does posting big boards prove that most people thought it was a mistake that the Warriors took Wiseman at the time? There was no backlash or outcry about him being selected. Those are two separate things. 

The fact that the Warriors improved on both ends, actually started winning games, and are now actively shopping him shows how they feel about the pick. 

• Like 1

I don't think that's true, at all.  Ball just had a louder crowd that liked him.  Most seemed to have Wiseman higher, and as a more logical fit for GS, from my perspective.  People are jumping off of Wiseman really quick.  Big men take a little longer.   I'm interested in seeing what the consensus on this is in 5 years.

The problem is that the Warriors offense and defense was better when Wiseman was off the floor. He doesn't really fit into Kerr's style of play because he's not that skilled offensively. And the Warriors title window is beginning to close as guys like Curry, Klay, and Draymond are getting older. Plus Curry is a free agent next summer. He may be really good in 4 years, how good will a 38 year old Curry and 35 year old Klay/Draymond be?

7 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Suggs shot under 34% from 3.

Suggs was 39th percentile in catch and shoot situations last season. He's a super streaky shooter, he had 9 games where shot 40% from 3 and 13 games where he didn't even make a 3. As I've said before I think Suggs is closer to a Lonzo Ball type of prospect than a superstar. 

• Like 1

A Western Conference Executive on Jalen Green: 

Jalen Green's going to be an incredible player. … I heard some negative stuff I didn’t like in the bubble. No one knows these high school dudes, so you hear it. These G league guys and these two-way guys, they have to treat (Ignite) seriously. They were like, “man, what’s with this dude?” Then all of a sudden, he goes on, like, a streak, five in a row, he was hitting 3s, athletic. And you look at him, and he’s just 17 or 18 years old. He’s going to be a steal for a team. He’s going to be a legit two-guard.

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that the Warriors improved on both ends, actually started winning games, and are now actively shopping him shows how they feel about the pick. 

"At the time."

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Again, this is hindsight. You're using new information to convince yourself and others that it was a bad pick at the time.

At the time of selection, there were definitely people that thought Ball should have been the pick at #2. But this idea that it was talked about as some awful choice to take Wiseman and Ball was obviously a far superior prospect is not real.

• Like 2