2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

"At the time."

I get what you mean, honestly last years draft class sucked and after Edwards it was pretty muddy in terms of prospect rankings. They were reportedly leaning towards Deni Avdija but went with Wiseman. But even at the time did a rim running center really fit with their team?

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Again, this is hindsight. You're using new information to convince yourself and others that it was a bad pick at the time.

At the time of selection, there were definitely people that thought Ball should have been the pick at #2. But this idea that it was talked about as some awful choice to take Wiseman and Ball was obviously a far superior prospect is not real.

They were linked to Avdija a ton during the pre-draft process who would've fit better with their roster/style of play. 

I agree no one thought it was a terrible pick at the time and he was definitely considered a top 5 prospect by everyone. I just think that the Warriors thought he was more skilled then he actually he is, closer to a Chris Bosh then a Clint Capela. 

Western Conference executive 2: People want to compare him to (Jordan) Clarkson today. You need to compare Bouknight to Clarkson when he was a sophomore at Missouri. Apples to apples. You don’t compare Mitchell to Russell Westbrook the MVP; you compare him to where Russell Westbrook was at UCLA. Similar size. Bouknight’s got a better handle. I never thought Clarkson was great with the ball. But Bouknight’s a tough kid. I like him. I don’t think he’s a great shooter yet. Good midrange, can handle the pick-and-roll. I just wish he shot it a little better. But, again, he’s 20.

@seminoles1 on Bouknight

• Like 1

On Springer vs Keon:

At the beginning of the year, it could have been close (between Johnson and his Tennessee teammate, Jaden Springer). But Keon, No. 1, athletically, is a freak. Two, not saying that Jaden isn’t, but Keon could be the best competitor in this draft class. His compete level is, by far, maybe the best in the draft. You could possibly throw in Mitchell a little bit. But this kid, he goes at a different pace and speed in a game, both offensively and defensively, that separates him. I would say today, Jaden is a more skilled basketball player — meaning handle, passing, shooting. But in the long run, I think Keon, with his work ethic, that’s what you’re seeing. If he’s a worker, which it seems like he is, he’s going to get better in those areas.

On Josh Christopher @seminoles1

Eastern Conference executive 5: It really comes down to his shooting. Do you believe his shot can get better? There’s no doubt the kid’s a scorer and he’s competitive and he can play and he’s tough. So many of the guards who didn’t participate (at the combine) were considered below him, or around his space, and he still went out and competed. He was probably the highest-profile guy that actually played at the combine. We talked about that as a group. We instantly respected that he went out and competed like that.

There’s going to a contingent of people that looked at that and say, “you know he’ll go out and play every day.” He’s not going to sit out. He’s no chump. Whatever he can give in a playoff, he’s not going to back down; he’s going to stand out there and compete.’ Kind of reminds me of a Talen Horton-Tucker coming in. You know this guy’s got talent. You know he’s going to compete. You know he’s confident.

Edited by NYRaider

The comments on Keon Johnson are why he's one of my guys in this class. According to the draft express guys he has the widest range of opinions from teams, some think he's a top 6 guy and others think he's a mid first round guy. But just his physical tools and competitiveness, I can't see him failing. 

On 7/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, Texansfan713 said:

lets not act like people were that high on LaMelo coming out of high school compared to James Wiseman. 

Almost every draft person I followed had Wiseman out of the top 5 and Ball in the top 3. I remember ppl here were calling them out for jumping on the hype machine lol (like it was good for business to rate LaMelo high) 

Iirc I had Ball at 4 and Wiseman at 8. 

I remember specifically saying I hope GS goes Wiseman because he would help the least while Curry is still awesome. 

Edited by 11sanchez11

On 7/8/2021 at 9:25 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/19743-2020-nba-draft-thread/page/31/

There is last years thread of everyone calling Ball MCW and talking how trash of a prospect he is.  Also a lot of support for Wiseman at 2/3 and ifhe played he would have been #1. A lot of hindsight opinions in here that dont match the feelings before the draft last year. 

I have great takes tbh

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Id do it if Green is there. Not so much on Mobley.  

Would you do Mobley and a 2022 first rounder?

I feel like a trade between us in meant to be. Green or Mobley are much more clear fits than Cunningham. I’d gladly trade a 2022 top 3 protected first rounder to go from 3 to 1 I feel like that’d be fair 

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

Would you do Mobley and a 2022 first rounder?

I feel like a trade between us in meant to be. Green or Mobley are much more clear fits than Cunningham. I’d gladly trade a 2022 top 3 protected first rounder to go from 3 to 1 I feel like that’d be fair 

Probably not for Mobley.  We need wing help.  And someone to consistently score. Green is such a better fit for us than Mobley.  I’d rather have Cade (or just draft Green at 1) than Mobley and what likely would be a pick in the 8-12 range next year.