2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

7 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Scottie Barnes I've grown to like less as a prospect the more I've gotten to know him. Not entirely sure why but he's missing the "it" factor and he's too tall to be the type of elite wing defender or more importantly offensive player I would want.

Scottie Barnes is too tall to be an elite wing defender? Wut. He's 6'8" 225 with a 7'2" wingspan and moves his feet extremely well. He had the 7th best lane agility time and the 2nd best shuttle run time of any player at the combine. He's literally the prototypical defensive wing. 

When you look at the wings that made first team all defense this year it was Ben Simmons (6'11" 240, 7'0" WS), Draymond Green (6'7" 230, 7'1" WS), Giannis Antetokunmpo (6'11" 242, 7'3" WS), Jimmy Butler (6'7" 230, 6'8" WS), Matisse Thybulle (6'5" 205, 6'11" WS), and Kawhi Leonard (6'7" 225, 7'3" WS). 

25 minutes ago, Kirill said:

idk man Kai Jones doesn't excite me either.

yeah i mean i'm not in love with him either. just first guy i thought of that's going consistently lower than kuminga that i see way more in. dude works his *** off it seems and has the right mental stuff imo. the way he moves... his shot is so ******* pretty for a guy at his size. i don't even know **** about mechanics or whatever really but it's so aesthetically pleasing just seeing a guy like him shoot the way he does. energizer all over the court. clearly loves the game. i see more there to be excited about in his package and i trust the guy way more. with his skill set and **** i'd wanna have him getting most of his minutes at the 4 though. i don't like at the 5 really. depending on who you're gonna pair him with. 

1 minute ago, FinneasGage said:

what

You're saying my Kuminga take is bad, so I am admitting your draft prospect takes must be better, because the team you support has made a lot of great picks and developed those guys into great NBA players such as Jonathan Isaac, Aaron Gordon, and Mo Bamba. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Scottie Barnes is too tall to be an elite wing defender? Wut. He's 6'8" 225 with a 7'2" wingspan and moves his feet extremely well. He had the 7th best lane agility time and the 2nd best shuttle run time of any player at the combine. He's literally the prototypical defensive wing. 

When you look at the wings that made first team all defense this year it was Ben Simmons (6'11" 240, 7'0" WS), Draymond Green (6'7" 230, 7'1" WS), Giannis Antetokunmpo (6'11" 242, 7'3" WS), Jimmy Butler (6'7" 230, 6'8" WS), Matisse Thybulle (6'5" 205, 6'11" WS), and Kawhi Leonard (6'7" 225, 7'3" WS). 

I thought he was 6'9. He looks 6'9. He just doesn't look similar in playstyle to most of those guys aside from maybe Draymond who is lowkey trash.

My other problem is we just threw away an entire season and the only other good players available are SG's. Don't really want to draft someone the same position as Shai after a year of tanking if the guy isn't even a top prospect. We gotta explore all avenues. Davion Mitchell? Jalen Johnson? Trading down and getting more future picks?

I read rumor we have draft promises for Cameron Thomas, Isaiah Jackson, and maybe some random foriegn player Vrenz something. IDK how true they are but our GM is know to do draft promises early in the draft process and those guys have quit doing things for other teams.

Edited by Kirill

13 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

magic twitter wants him at 5 now and i'm just ******* losing my mind 

James Bouknight is going to be the riser of the draft, read that he was shooting at an unreal level during his pro-day. Same thing happened with Luke Kennard. 

33 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I like Cameron Johnson for OKC at 16th though. Kid was 4th leading scorer in NCAA last season for LSU is a sniper I think OKC might be getting him at 16 or 18.

Cameron Thomas is a guy that I really like sometimes and am meh on other times. He's still 1 of the 4 guys I want Memphis to end up with along with Bouknight, Christopher and Ziaire.

2 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I thought he was 6'9. He looks 6'9. He just doesn't look similar in playstyle to most of those guys aside from maybe Draymond who is lowkey trash.

My other problem is we just threw away an entire season and the only other good players available are SG's. Don't really want to draft someone the same position as Shai after a year of tanking if the guy isn't even a top prospect. We gotta explore all avenues. Davion Mitchell? Jalen Johnson? Trading down and getting more future picks?

He was just measured at 6'8" in shoes at the combine. And Ben Simmons/Giannis just made the All-NBA defensive team and were in contention for DPOY as 6'11" perimeter defenders... lol 

And how is Draymond low key trash? He's a former DPOY, made 6x All-NBA defensive teams, and made 2 All-NBA teams. He's one of the best and most versatile defensive players in the history of the sport. 

I thought Presti's analytics were building the future dynasty? 

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Cameron Thomas is a guy that I really like sometimes and am meh on other times. He's still 1 of the 4 guys I want Memphis to end up with along with Bouknight, Christopher and Ziaire.

I saw someone comment on him "he has that Dion Waiter's confidence offensively along with the non existent defensive presence of Dion as well." lol

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

James Bouknight is going to be the riser of the draft, read that he was shooting at an unreal level during his pro-day. Same thing happened with Luke Kennard. 

He will be too inefficent to justify being drafted top 10 IMO. he's a bad playmaker and streaky shooter at best on film. he's probably just getting hot during the draft process

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Yeah thats it lol Thomas. No idea how his stock isn't higher I know he's not working out with teams probably on his way to OKC

Just now, NYRaider said:

The Monk/Mitchell debate is nothing like the Kuminga/Barnes debate. How does Barnes have the "it" factor he's extremely raw as a scorer. 

i even said from a personality stand point bro. but thanks for reminding monk was small and mitchell was considered raw i had forgot all about that. 

not specifically them, i was just using that as an example. same as the mclemore/oladipo thing... the list goes on and on. certain guys are wired for it. it's not black and white or anything but i was just saying it's a better indicator for ceiling. i thought zach lavine wasn't wired well tho either so who tf knows.... more often than not i feel like it's pretty obvious who's gonna be getting continually better and working  

you want me to explain a blanket term people throw on guys for things they can't explain? that's what "it" is? certain guys have whatever it is. but ****in stanley johnson had "it" imo.  marcus smart had "it" (not to be disrespectful to smart). 

gimmie those guys over wet duds of guys tho 

• Like 1