2021 NBA Draft Thread

Just now, NYRaider said:

I saw someone comment on him "he has that Dion Waiter's confidence offensively along with the non existent defensive presence of Dion as well." lol

It's definitely a risky to draft him, but Memphis has a good veteran team in place and a good defensive system. I wouldn't hate the pick at all. I'd rather go with him than a big man or someone with no ability to create his own shot.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Cam Thomas on the Thunder:

635931493701882475-USATSI-8917317.jpg?wi

Waiters was an underrated player. Good defender and scorer off the bench for us we just never had a hard *** coach to reprimand these guys when they took selfish pickup game type of shots. A lot of that started with Westbrook, they let him do his thing so other guys followed.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

gimmie those guys over wet duds of guys tho 

Kawhi Leonard was compared to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute coming out of college. And had one of the driest personalities ever in interviews, lol. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ4TMxUxAHs

Leonard's 0.889 points per possession overall ranks third worst of the 17 wings we evaluated, and his adjusted field goal percentage of 46.3% ranks dead last, a strong illustration of his scoring woes. On the positive side, Leonard's overall turnover percentage of 11.8% ranks third best in the class, and he could actually even stand to improve at the next level when he's projected to have even less shot creation responsibility initially.

Another interesting note looking at Leonard's possessions is that only 13% of his possessions came in transition, which ranks him 13th overall in the group. Leonard played on one of the slowest-paced teams in college basketball, likely due to his team's mediocre guard play. For a player with his physical tools, this is less than ideal, and he could certainly see a spike in that regard at the next level, which should help his overall efficiency.

In the half-court, Leonard ranks seventh of all wings in the percentage of his possessions coming from isolations, at 15%. His .721 PPP on these possessions ranks 15th, indicating that he struggled to create shots effectively for himself last season. He was unable to get to the free throw line consistently (11.3%, 12th) for many of these same reasons, and did not finish around the basket at a high rate, where his 1.069 PPS ranked 13th.

If Leonard ever does develop into a more reliable isolation threat, improving his left hand should be among his top priorities, as despite seeing a near equal breakdown of drives in both directions (37 possessions going right, 35 going left), Leonard's efficiency going right (0.865 PPP) more than doubled his efficiency going left (0.429 PPP).

Leonard is not only an average ball-handler, but he also struggles to make shots consistently from beyond the arc. His 0.743 points per shots on jumpers ranks 16th of 17 in the class, where he shot an abysmal 31% from the field. His struggles extend both to his catch and shoot jumpers (32%) and pull-ups (28%). 

Edited by NYRaider
7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's definitely a risky to draft him, but Memphis has a good veteran team in place and a good defensive system. I wouldn't hate the pick at all. I'd rather go with him than a big man or someone with no ability to create his own shot.

I still like Josh Christopher the most for Memphis, I think he's the best fit.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You're saying my Kuminga take is bad, so I am admitting your draft prospect takes must be better, because the team you support has made a lot of great picks and developed those guys into great NBA players such as Jonathan Isaac, Aaron Gordon, and Mo Bamba. 

i'm not saying it's bad, you just didn't present me with anything to change my opinion. you typically just say like basic scouting report type **** instead of stating your opinions or talking about how you think they'll translate or whatever. so debating with you it's like someone will say something with an opinion and then you kinda just restate **** that's the common consensus on scouting reports. no hate just letting you know why i get so befuddled whenever we talk prospects. 

6 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Waiters was an underrated player. Good defender and scorer off the bench for us we just never had a hard *** coach to reprimand these guys when they took selfish pickup game type of shots. A lot of that started with Westbrook, they let him do his thing so other guys followed.

Waiters was the definition of a chucker. 

Just now, FinneasGage said:

i'm not saying it's bad, you just didn't present me with anything to change my opinion. you typically just say like basic scouting report type **** instead of stating your opinions or talking about how you think they'll translate or whatever. so debating with you it's like someone will say something with an opinion and then you kinda just restate **** that's the common consensus on scouting reports. no hate just letting you know why i get so befuddled whenever we talk prospects. 

Refer to my Kawhi Leonard post just above. He was extremely dry in all of his interviews, looked like he couldn't care less. He was extremely raw as a scorer and a shooter after 2 years in college. But what did he have? Elite physical tools. What does Jonathan Kuminga have? Basically the exact same physical tools. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kawhi Leonard was compared to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute coming out of college. And had one of the driest personalities ever in interviews, lol. 

being a wet dud doesn't necessarily mean just being dry. dudes can be dry and you can still see them as being dogs or being elite workers. it's an element of tho yeah. keon johnson is a dry dude and i like him a lot. 

@FinneasGage the reason I like Kuminga is because from a physical tools standpoint, he's basically a carbon copy of Kawhi Leonard. Why do I think he'll succeed? Because we've seen guys with his tools come into the league very raw and then develop into great players. He seems awkward in his interviews but I think that's more so because he's not a great english speaker more than anything.

4 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

being a wet dud doesn't necessarily mean just being dry. dudes can be dry and you can still see them as being dogs or being elite workers. it's an element of tho yeah. keon johnson is a dry dude and i like him a lot. 

What about Kuminga convinces you he's not a dog or an elite worker?

talking about the way he played. not denying he's always been dry. difference between him and kuminga is that kawhi played the right way and only had reports about a ridiculous work ethic 

What about Kuminga convinces you he's not a dog or an elite worker?

the way he plays most of the time. the way he talks about basketball and himself. his body language. he might be good. but just not a dude i'd trust to take around that #5 area in this group. i think he's likely to be a net negative on the court