Jaguars 2021 Official Draft Thread - News and Notes

On 4/8/2021 at 9:23 AM, .Buzz said:

Also, I've been seeing Oweh getting mocked to us by just about everyone recently. This is usually the time where people are getting some legit info on interests from teams.

With only Allen and Chaisson, wouldn't shock me if we go edge relatively early tbh.

I think going with an edge rusher type early like that makes a ton of sense.  We have two "high upside" highly drafted guys already, but neither is really established, and even if they were...it's hard to have too many guys who can come off the edge and mess up a passing game.  That 3rd guy in the rotation just makes them all better, and we've seen that.

The guy that keeps coming up for me, every time i look into pass rushers like that though...is Quincy Roche.  It seems like there's not much love out there for him, but every time i'm trying to watch Miami for the other guys...this guy jumps off screen instead.

He's got a lot of Yan to him.  Productive, undersized but feisty, has some detail in his game that is striking from a college pass rusher, and the dude can get around the edge.  Also, probably not going to be the best against the run as a really robust edge-setter.  But he doesn't seem like a pushover.  He knows how to use leverage, flexibility, and hands to punch way above his weight class as a pass rusher.  Just needs to learn to use what he's got more effectively as a run defender.  But as a stand-up guy in the scheme we're fixin' to employ?  I kinda really like the idea of having him as that 3rd option who comes off the bench hot in situational stuff.

But then...based on the way he seems to be viewed all around...he's a guy who will be there later.  Which could free up the pick to go somewhere else and try to wait.

6 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I’m still thinking Moehrig at 25, Toney/Moore/Moore at 33 and Pat F at 45. All 3 would make an instant impact.

I'd like that sure, but the way Urban talks about the trenches (and has since he got here) makes me think at least one of them will be in that area.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'd like that sure, but the way Urban talks about the trenches (and has since he got here) makes me think at least one of them will be in that area.

Exactly my take as well. He talks trenches and to not use early draft capital on them would be weird

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If they went trenches early on, would they really make an instant impact? 

My thinking is the Ravens used a ton of 3 safety looks iirc and a trio of Jenkins, Moehrig and Wilson wouldn’t be shabby. Instant impact with Moehrig.

We need a starting slot WR. Toney, Moore and Moore would all make an instant impact. Urban wants speed.

Pat F really needs no explanation. I know TE’s don’t typically produce year 1 but our TE room is terrible and they know that. He can make an instant impact.

I think the moves they made in FA along the D-Line makes it to where they can focus on other area of needs early on and address the D-Line/O-Line in round 3 and 4’s?

35 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

My thinking is the Ravens used a ton of 3 safety looks iirc and a trio of Jenkins, Moehrig and Wilson wouldn’t be shabby. Instant impact with Moehrig.

We need a starting slot WR. Toney, Moore and Moore would all make an instant impact. Urban wants speed.

Pat F really needs no explanation. I know TE’s don’t typically produce year 1 but our TE room is terrible and they know that. He can make an instant impact.

I think the moves they made in FA along the D-Line makes it to where they can focus on other area of needs early on and address the D-Line/O-Line in round 3 and 4’s?

Depends. An edge or guy like Nixon/Barmore etc probably would. I also don't think Cann being unseated is impossible by midseason if you get a legit interior guy in round 2.

With Shenault, Chark, and Jones with Robinson in the backfield...there's really only so many touches to go around. I like the idea of Moore or another WR but I'm not certain it's internally seen as a big need. A RB to help/spell Robinson maybe...

I do think what we did in FA helps greatly, but losing Alualu and the fact we only have Allen and Chaisson on the outside makes me think an edge is very possible. As far as a big run stuffer we only have Harrison, and there isn't really an "impact" interior pass rusher as things currently sit. There's quality there but most shouldn't push you away from a big guy on the DL if you like that prospect.

Edit: Nevermind on the run stuffer part. Completely forgot about Malcolm Brown somehow.

Interior pass rusher/edge I stand by though.

13 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

How do we need a slot wr when we have 3 starting caliber wrs or did u forget about chark, marvin jones, or shenault. 

6 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

Just noticed that Pat Freiermuth just started following the Jags on Twitter. Appears the only other NFL team he follows is the Patriots (his hometown team).

He also has been interacting with a bunch of Trevor’s posts for the last month or so.