Jaguars 2021 Official Draft Thread - News and Notes

.Buzz

21 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I prefer edge over dl based on my big board tho personally I wait till round 3/4 for dl

Honestly, this draft class for DLine just seems pretty trash.  Like, there are some interesting Day 2/3 sort of projects.  But the top end is just....ughhhh.  Pretty gross.

There are some pretty interesting Edge guys.  But if it's really "trenches" early, and it would make sense to do that...i'd kinda hope it's OLine they go after early.  Just on the way this draft class looks for strengths/weaknesses.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Honestly, this draft class for DLine just seems pretty trash.  Like, there are some interesting Day 2/3 sort of projects.  But the top end is just....ughhhh.  Pretty gross.

There are some pretty interesting Edge guys.  But if it's really "trenches" early, and it would make sense to do that...i'd kinda hope it's OLine they go after early.  Just on the way this draft class looks for strengths/weaknesses.

Yea there isnt a single edge that isnt without multiple warts. 

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If my team docs cleared Phillips along with an interview with him and would have 0 qualms taking him. 

I like Rousseau but yes he's raw but he's got upside as a potential ward olb/DL

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Given what I saw in episode 2, I’m pretty confident they’re talking a LT early. 

Verah-Tucker, Jenkins?

If it's either I don't think they'll be there. It sounded to me like they like an OT that may fit either similarly or better inside.

I think Samuel Cosmi and Liam Eichenberg could be the guy they're targeting from that "second wave" of OTs. I think there's a bit more smoke connecting us to Cosmi, but Eichenberg is a guy I think would fit well and is being slept on a bit. 

I'm not sure what the exact order would be as the mid-1st to mid-2nd could fall so many different ways, but I've been hoping for some sort of combo of Trevon Moehrig, Pat Freiermuth, and an OT (Cosmi, Eichenberg my top two focuses though there are certainly solid backup options if we miss out on the two of them). If it's indeed OT at #25 though, I think it's either one of the top ones falling or one of the aforementioned two who are seen as fringe first round guys. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think Samuel Cosmi and Liam Eichenberg could be the guy they're targeting from that "second wave" of OTs. I think there's a bit more smoke connecting us to Cosmi, but Eichenberg is a guy I think would fit well and is being slept on a bit. 

I'm not sure what the exact order would be as the mid-1st to mid-2nd could fall so many different ways, but I've been hoping for some sort of combo of Trevon Moehrig, Pat Freiermuth, and an OT (Cosmi, Eichenberg my top two focuses though there are certainly solid backup options if we miss out on the two of them). If it's indeed OT at #25 though, I think it's either one of the top ones falling or one of the aforementioned two who are seen as fringe first round guys. 

25 feels a tad high for either tbh, although I've heard Eichenberg is seen higher in league circles than the general fan/media.

I like the idea of nabbing an OT early, but it's tough thinking about the fact that one likely sees minimal first year snaps given our current OL. I'm all about building up the trenches/having an eye on the future but that'd be a tough one.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

25 feels a tad high for either tbh, although I've heard Eichenberg is seen higher in league circles than the general fan/media.

I like the idea of nabbing an OT early, but it's tough thinking about the fact that one likely sees minimal first year snaps given our current OL. I'm all about building up the trenches/having an eye on the future but that'd be a tough one.

Personally, i'm not really that bothered at all about the idea that an OT may not play a huge amount Year 1 if the "starters" stay healthy.  If it gets us a good, cost-effective solution for those other years of Trevor's rookie deal, that more than outweighs a guy potentially being more of a backup and developmental piece as a rookie.

Plus, really...having an actually capable backup OT with upside, seems like a pretty ideal situation, if you can swing it.  That way, when one of the "starters" goes down, you're hopefully not just plugging some useless turnstyle of a schmo in there to put Lawrence in danger.

Quite a few of the guys i think we'd be looking at as OTs, have a little bit of "project" to them, to varying degrees anyway.  So letting them get into the program and having them working with Pro coaching in our system, seems like a fairly sound starting point anyway.

It's just one of those positions where i think it makes sense to have at least an "upside" developmental guy always sorta cycling through.  Few things can throw an OLine into disarray and ineptitude worse than an OT going down and not having a guy in house who can at least keep their head above water.  All the better if it's someone you can cross-train and play inside, either as a starter, or a multi-spot backup...but not really essential imo.  It's a spot worth burning a roster spot on generally.  Especially when you've got Cam with an uncertain future, contractually and in whether he's good enough or not.

More than anything else though...it just feels like a strong portion of the draft to mine this year.  Lots of guys that are Day 1/2 caliber as OTs, or at least a chance of staying there, or falling back as an interior guy otherwise (which is still a need anyway).

Edited by Tugboat

That nugget, along with Breer+King giving us Oweh in their last mock this AM at 25...

Don't forget the types Baalke went after in SF too. Length, length, length. I think there's a legit shot or him or Rosseau there (or honestly any of the lengthy edge rushers). 

11 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Big time pass on Oweh. Do not want at all.

I mean, I wouldn't say I don't want him at all. With a guy like Cullen in the fold I love the idea of giving him guys where he can work his magic/give us exotic looks. Oweh has a lot of the traits you want, but yeah...just very raw.

I'm not in love with the idea of him at 25. With Chaisson, I would prefer someone who's more refined as a pass rusher.