Jaguars 2021 Official Draft Thread - News and Notes

.Buzz

25 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Pain lol

I am sure I will somehow talk myself into the pick when it happens.

Oh I definitely will too.

To be fair it's not that I don't like him as a prospect. I see why he's viewed in that light because the raw tools/measurables are there. But man, we just took a very young/raw edge last year that has been less than stellar. I really don't want 2 of our top 3 edges to not have much of a plan out there.

The thing is though, every EDGE this draft is going to have their question marks. It's the reason none are projected to go top 10 despite it being a premium position in the league. It's probably just a draft philosophy thing, but in a draft like this, with multiple picks in both rounds, I'd rather take a large swing at EDGE. If we're going to have an unproven EDGE rookie and be rebuilding this year anyway, I'd rather take the shot. 

As aforementioned though, I'm also an Oweh believer in him being able to get to his potential. I totally get wanting to stay away if you think there's too much unlikelihood in him fulfilling his potential, or even a fraction of it.

13 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

The thing is though, every EDGE this draft is going to have their question marks. It's the reason none are projected to go top 10 despite it being a premium position in the league. It's probably just a draft philosophy thing, but in a draft like this, with multiple picks in both rounds, I'd rather take a large swing at EDGE. If we're going to have an unproven EDGE rookie and be rebuilding this year anyway, I'd rather take the shot. 

As aforementioned though, I'm also an Oweh believer in him being able to get to his potential. I totally get wanting to stay away if you think there's too much unlikelihood in him fulfilling his potential, or even a fraction of it.

Basham looks to me like a perfect fit for a Baltimore type defense though. I'm not sure about him if you're talking about a normal 3-4 defense as an edge, but with Cullen coming from Baltimore and likely bringing that same type of scheme he intrigues the hell out of me. Move him all around with that explosiveness/power.

He's been really growing on me lately.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Basham looks to me like a perfect fit for a Baltimore type defense though. I'm not sure about him if you're talking about a normal 3-4 defense as an edge, but with Cullen coming from Baltimore and likely bringing that same type of scheme he intrigues the hell out of me. Move him all around with that explosiveness/power.

He's been really growing on me lately.

In our defense, I think he'd probably be used similarly to how we plan to use Jihad Ward and probably even Dawuane Smoot. Depending on how many DL we carry, that could be his competition as well. I'm just not sure how much of a net gain Basham gives us in rotation with those guys in that role compared to an outside EDGE rotating with Josh Allen and Chaisson, or a more prototypical IDL like Christian Barmore. This is kind of a short-sighted view of the selection, but I think it's valid since I'm not sure how much upside Basham has... ie: I think there are a few things that need cleaned up and he would benefit a lot from defining his body a bit more with an NFL strength and conditioning program, but ultimately he's a more polished prospect whose ceiling probably isn't much higher than what he's already at as a player.

I like Basham, I'm just unsure on Basham for us. I'd be mildly disappointed but still excited if we took him at #25 or #33. I'd be more enthused if we took him at #45, though I'm also sure there will be guys I'd still prefer over him at that point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But why though?

Why not just have a safety who is a safety?  Like...if the guy is good enough to be a Safety...why would you want to move him half the time in nickel packages, to a different position?

If your Safeties are legitimately good, you shouldn't want to move them in "certain situations".

So what you're drafting, is really more of a nickel/safety hybrid.  In which case...there's a bunch of guys out there who could fit that role, without having to shuffle your safeties around.  And probably available quite a bit later in the draft.

It gives us a big nickle d and should offer insurance should sydney return to his injury prone side and herndon is unproven as a slot. 

I want competition for the nickle spot and hollands ability to play there along with our safety depth(we could very well have 3 starting caliber guys plus thomas.) It just opens the door for more exotic looks and such on defense

This will be the first draft I will actually be excited for in a long time. Obviously Trevor is the main reason why, but the Jags have a lot of high picks and the opportunity to really build a solid foundation for the team going forward. I have had a very pessimistic outlook for awhile (can you blame me?) but this year I don't even care if the Jags pick someone I'm not high on or a position that isn't premium or a need outside of #1. I'll be happy and cheering like a fool until proven otherwise down the line. Don't you dare hurt me again, Urbz and Trent!

Just a courtesy reminder that we're within 24 hours of the draft and at this point, any reports that come out should be taken with a grain of salt. Even moreso than before. Some may be accurate, but a LOT of it is people reporting anything they're told hoping that something sticks. There will be plenty of reports that come out that just have another report contradict it five minutes later.

Be hyped, but don't get too wrapped up either positively or negatively until the draft actually happens.

• Like 2

I’ve seen a few people mock us JOK or Jamin Davis. Just not sure how either fit into the 3-4 especially with Jack and Schobert in front. Boselli did indicate a week or two ago that he’s not sure Schobert is going to be here long term so who knows.

Just now, Chops013 said:

I’ve seen a few people mock us JOK or Jamin Davis. Just not sure how either fit into the 3-4 especially with Jack and Schobert in front. Boselli did indicate a week or two ago that he’s not sure Schobert is going to be here long term so who knows.

Hmm.

Truthfully I really like those two and Zaven (no way Parsons falls that far), but yeah...feel like LB would be an odd choice.

I assume when he says LB that wouldn't include OLB/Edge?