Jaguars 2021 Official Draft Thread - News and Notes

1 hour ago, Chops013 said:

“Even though the Jaguars' head coach and his staff aren't attending the Reese's Senior Bowl this week, Meyer is still a story here. A big, fascinating story.”

https://www.jaguars.com/news/senior-bowl-2021-meyer-an-elite-communicator

Looks like Urban and co aren’t at the Senior Bowl this week? That seems a bit odd. Hopefully Baalke is at least there.

From that article:

There's no question over time, he has become way more of a culture coach than a scheme coach. If there are some things with him that are non-negotiable, I don't think scheme's one of them.

Thank God. I’m so very tired of trying to fit square pegs in round holes on this team. Get great players that can work together and adapt the scheme to them, rather than the other way around.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, pwny said:

From that article:

Thank God. I’m so very tired of trying to fit square pegs in round holes on this team. Get great players that can work together and adapt the scheme to them, rather than the other way around.

Same.

We've never done that. On top of trying to have a specific scheme, we've also made it worse by drafting guys who were square pegs in those roles as well.

Will be a welcomed change.

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Will say, definitely weird to see the coaching staff not go to mobile though.

Oehser just stated on Jaguars Today that Baalke isn’t there either. A little odd but I guess they are busy here.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Has a reason been given why we aren't there? All that draft capital and we aren't present for these guys?

Apparently it's fairly common for teams with new coaching staffs not to be there.

17 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Has a reason been given why we aren't there? All that draft capital and we aren't present for these guys?

I’m p sure they have scouts there, and they have a video team there. They’re likely just limiting the numbers due to COVID and because the higher ups are busy putting together a staff to actually be able to review everything before other teams steal them away. I’m sure they’ll have everyone scouring over video from the practices and everything.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, pwny said:

I’m p sure they have scouts there, and they have a video team there. They’re likely just limiting the numbers due to COVID and because the higher ups are busy putting together a staff to actually be able to review everything before other teams steal them away. I’m sure they’ll have everyone scouring over video from the practices and everything.

One of the biggest benefits to "being there" at the Senior Bowl typically, is in being able to really get down in there and get to know these prospects more up close and personal, on and off the field.  Which, given COVID stuff, is probably pretty diminished this year anyway.

So it seems a bit weird and disappointing for them to not have top guys there, but i'm sure there are some guys there for the organization, and a video crew like you said.  Which in this particular season, is probably a large portion of what you'd be getting there in person.  And i'm sure Urban and Baalke are plenty busy with other stuff as it is.

It's gonna be a bit of an unusual draft season all around.  I'd imagine different teams are going to approach it differently.

Was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were saying they’ve heard from a lot of sources that Toney might not go in the first at all.

So....