Jaguars fire GM Dave Caldwell

.Buzz

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Boo, that sucks. 

But then again, you can pretty much hire a GM and HC together. Doesn't really matter which one is hired first. Can ask the GM who they want as HC and make it a package deal. 

Most of these GMs probably are talking to HC prospects if they think they have a legit shot anyway. Perfect example is the Dodds/Saleh connection last year. They clearly looked to be in communication prior to things getting serious.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Most of these GMs probably are talking to HC prospects if they think they have a legit shot anyway. Perfect example is the Dodds/Saleh connection last year. They clearly looked to be in communication prior to things getting serious.

Yep, so I think that is fine. Going to a team that already has a GM that just fired the HC is tricky. But Jags are starting all over with a new front office and coaching staff.

Rooting for you guys to get Saleh! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

It's weird...they have so many pieces that seem like they would lead to winning, but yet here we are. And I don't even think Minshew is as bad as others think. It had to be done. This GM and coaching vacancy will be a nice one for whoever comes in next.

They trdaed their talent away & minshew sucks. They're just JAGs now besides one or 2 players.

20 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

They trdaed their talent away & minshew sucks. They're just JAGs now besides one or 2 players.

Team with plenty of young guys with potential. James Robinson, DJ Chark, Shenault, Josh Allen, Myles Jack, CJ Henderson, etc. and a ton of draft capital and arguably the best cap situation in the NFL with an incredibly patient owner. It is indeed one of the better gigs on the market.

We dealt Yan and Jalen. Who else hurt us long term by letting them go?

• Like 2

I would want the coach with the ultimate power, if my team needed a new management team. I would want my GM to run the business side and the coach have the power over all personal decisions, that include FA signings.

As the Tuna said “If I’m going to be asked to cook the meal, I’d like to be able to pick the groceries.”

I been a Pats for 50+ years. I have seen what happens when a GM and a Owner have all the power, it not pretty. Players running behind the coaches back, Gm playing favorites with players. No thank you. The Pats had one of the greatest coach ever in the 70's and he was forced out the door. Chuck Fairbanks.

Our current Headmaster is not to bad. I like his style!

PS I know it works the other way but in general I prefer ( the right) coach with the power.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Team with plenty of young guys with potential. James Robinson, DJ Chark, Shenault, Josh Allen, Myles Jack, CJ Henderson, etc. and a ton of draft capital and arguably the best cap situation in the NFL with an incredibly patient owner. It is indeed one of the better gigs on the market.

We dealt Yan and Jalen. Who else hurt us long term by letting them go?

I think his point is that we have no one on this team that would lead you to believe we’re going to win now, as the person he quoted seemed to suggest that we should have the talent to win now. Yeah, we have some young pieces that look like they could be long term fixtures, but we [in the current state] have a very weak roster with no star power. So of course we suck this year.

There’s things to be excited about; with a projected 100M in cap space, 11 draft picks, a shot at a franchise QB, and youth that’s performing decently well. But this season? If you played it ten times, we’re finishing with under 4 wins in eight of them. This is just a horrific roster for 2020. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

I think his point is that we have no one on this team that would lead you to believe we’re going to win now, as the person he quoted seemed to suggest that we should have the talent to win now. Yeah, we have some young pieces that look like they could be long term fixtures, but we [in the current state] have a very weak roster with no star power. So of course we suck this year.

There’s things to be excited about; with a projected 100M in cap space, 11 draft picks, a shot at a franchise QB, and youth that’s performing decently well. But this season? If you played it ten times, we’re finishing with under 4 wins in eight of them. This is just a horrific roster for 2020. 

For sure. Guess I didn't pay enough attention to what his post was in reference to.

Jags have a really good collection of young talent, they need a Bienemy or Saleh, to lead them to be better. The Jags need to make sure they get the pairing of GM and HC right. If they do land Fields, I think that would be a solid landing spot for him.

This team could be really good in 2-3 seasons if they're willing to be patient, develop the talent, and build around their QB of choice. Its already been stated that Shahid Khan is extremely patient.

On 11/30/2020 at 9:38 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Boo, that sucks. 

But then again, you can pretty much hire a GM and HC together. Doesn't really matter which one is hired first. Can ask the GM who they want as HC and make it a package deal. 

I mean, most traditional power structures have the HC "report" to the GM.  So naturally, the GM is going to pick the new HC.  There's a few coaches out there who have final say (namely Pete Carroll, Bill B, etc.), but largely it's a GM over HC structure around the league.  Hopefully, the HC and GM are on the same wavelength.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, most traditional power structures have the HC "report" to the GM.  So naturally, the GM is going to pick the new HC.  There's a few coaches out there who have final say (namely Pete Carroll, Bill B, etc.), but largely it's a GM over HC structure around the league.  Hopefully, the HC and GM are on the same wavelength.

Shanahan is widely known to be the guy in SF that has the most power. The traditional power structure is something Saleh needs to avoid. When there is a package deal, the GM and HC are pretty much together in this for the long run or until they get fired....together. I rather Saleh go to a place that does not have a GM yet. And if he's able to take Peters with him, that would be great. 

You are now seeing more and more GMs and HCs linked together for openings. There are rumors that John Dorsey will be one of the top candidates for a GM job and whoever hires him will also hire Eric Bienemy. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanahan is widely known to be the guy in SF that has the most power. The traditional power structure is something Saleh needs to avoid. When there is a package deal, the GM and HC are pretty much together in this for the long run or until they get fired....together. I rather Saleh go to a place that does not have a GM yet. And if he's able to take Peters with him, that would be great. 

You are now seeing more and more GMs and HCs linked together for openings. There are rumors that John Dorsey will be one of the top candidates for a GM job and whoever hires him will also hire Eric Bienemy. 

No doubt.  But that's not always the case.  Green Bay hired Brian Gutekunst from inside their own FO when Ted Thompson retired.  He hired Matt LaFleur who really had no ties to the organization at the time.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Actually.....who is the GM in NE?  If it's not BB in name.....who is it?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually.....who is the GM in NE?  If it's not BB in name.....who is it?

I don't think they have a GM per say as Bill B has always been the decision maker.  I believe Nick Casserio is the highest rankings personnel employee.

• Like 1