The Official GM Search Thread

.Buzz

11 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Take with grain of salt:

Yeah, it's JLC so...

I have no doubt we interview him at the very least at this point lol. Does he end up our HC though?

I still think it's basically a lock with all the smoke but man had it been a bit less certain after the last two days and how people are talking about it now.

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

for HC or OC?

I think he’s going to be on the fast track for being a high end HC. Don’t know if the profile we’re looking for in a head coach matches up, but the guy should at least get an interview.

OC probably not because he’s probably a year away at most from getting poached for a HC gig and I’d rather not be changing OCs often. 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah...I like Pep but a HC gig seems a bit much.

As OC, totally here for it.

I would go the exact opposite. I’d look at him as a HC but wouldn’t bother with him as an OC. If he has back to back seasons with what Herbert did and what Lawrence is about to do, he’s getting hired as a HC basically immediately. Then we are immediately starting cycling coaches for a young QB, which might be the only path to keeping him from hitting his potential. 

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

I would go the exact opposite. I’d look at him as a HC but wouldn’t bother with him as an OC. If he has back to back seasons with what Herbert did and what Lawrence is about to do, he’s getting hired as a HC basically immediately. Then we are immediately starting cycling coaches for a young QB, which might be the only path to keeping him from hitting his potential. 

Edit: Did a little more research on Pep. Knew about him in Indy, his AFL gig, etc. I still am lukewarm on the idea of him as a HC though. Would like a bit more of a sample/track record.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Edit: Did a little more research on Pep. Knew about him in Indy, his AFL gig, etc. I still am lukewarm on the idea of him as a HC though. Would like a bit more of a sample/track record.

Yeah, I’m not sure with the fact that we’re a destination for once that he’d end up here, but I think he’s going to be a good one. I’d at the very least like us to interview everyone who can reasonably do well, and then to pick the best of them. So giving a rising star an interview—even if he’s not ready now—can only help to make sure we’re getting the right guy in here. 

• Like 1

Here is the latest and greatest from Albert Breer. Not going to lie, this is getting me super excited about the idea of Urban coming here:

”All right, No. 1 overall pick, since we put you on the Urban Meyer–Jaguars trail almost a month ago now, I can give you some more background. There’s been some level of communication between Meyer and the Jaguars, through intermediaries and directly, for close to a month, if not longer. And I believe the job is Meyer’s if he wants it, and I think getting him would be a steal.

The Jaguars need a housecleaning the same way the Bills did before Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott performed one (and did so very successfully). This can’t be about changing out a couple of people. This has to be an overall reimagination of the organization—EVP Tom Coughlin tried to make this happen, and there was progress for a year before that effort stalled out. To do that, I believe they need someone who’ll come in with holistic ideas.

That is Meyer, and that’s why I think this makes sense. With the former Florida and Ohio State coach, the transformation would involve more than assistants. It’d be strength coaches and player development staff and nutritionists—really, he’d be bringing in a program more than a staff. So I believe he’d need, more than just a certain salary, a budget to overhaul much of the organization, in the same sort of way he did in Gainesville and Columbus.

Bottom line, if you’re looking at this hire just from a, “Well, what kind of offense is he going to run?” perspective, you’re missing the forest for the trees. And for these reasons, and because I’m told he’s already looked at potential staffing on that level, which reflects a plan to do all of this, I think he’s what Jacksonville needs.

Will he do it? I don’t know. The consideration of his health is real. I’ve heard he loves his job at Fox and has found competition in it. But I do think it’d be hard for him to say no to a chance to coach Trevor Lawrence in a place with all those picks (multiple in the first, second, fourth, fifth and seventh rounds) and cap space (most in the NFL for 2021), and where, as a bonus, he can restore his legacy after his departure from Florida rubbed people there the wrong way.

We’ll see what happens. I think Shad Khan will make him say no. And if he does, the Jaguars, based on the fact that they’ve put requests in on other candidates, should be ready to roll with all of those pluses to sell to someone else. Despite the issues I laid out, this is a really good job, and one where coaches have been given time to build.

What is a realistic timeline for an Urban Meyer decision on joining the NFL ranks?

If you’re Jacksonville, you want an answer by this weekend, I’d say. Teams in the wild-card round have to make their assistants available for interviews after their games—meaning to have a Brian Daboll or an Arthur Smith in, you’ll have to plan it before or right around then. And if those guys are picking who they want to interview with, because they do the  have time for all of them, they may opt against choosing to sit down with a team that’s working to hire someone else.

That said, back here in the real world, the Jags are going to give Meyer the time he needs.“

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/06/nfl-mailbag-urban-meyer-jacksonville-jaguars-match

Edited by Chops013
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm getting vibes of previous years where his name gets pushed for gigs but in the end it was never serious.

I feel like I’m previous years that was a team that had no one who wanted to be here trying to give the impression of it being an interesting gig. So you seed that a coach in the A tier is interested in hopes that maybe someone in the B tier hears about that and gives us a second thought.

Hopefully that’s not what’s going on now. 

EDIT: thought you were talking about how we get linked to big names and then we get everyone’s leftovers at the end of the cycle. 

Edited by pwny

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

I feel like I’m previous years that was a team that had no one who wanted to be here trying to give the impression of it being an interesting gig. So you seed that a coach in the A tier is interested in hopes that maybe someone in the B tier hears about that and gives us a second thought.

Hopefully that’s not what’s going on now. 

EDIT: thought you were talking about how we get linked to big names and then we get everyone’s leftovers at the end of the cycle. 

Nah, I'm strictly talking about Urban/his people. Seems like every year the big jobs in college and even a couple NFL gigs last year got serious links to Urban. But in the end, they ended up all being overblown. 

Definitely starting to feel like that's happening again.