The Official GM Search Thread

Yeah, the GM job is going to be highly sought after. A bunch of picks, a lot of money to spend, a pick that should allow the team to get their franchise guy, and an owner that’s shown a lot of patience.

If the Jets job opens up, that maybe becomes a better destination for many, but otherwise it should be us finally getting good looks.

For coach openings though, I ultimately don’t think it’s going to look as attractive as the GM job does. But it still shouldn’t be desolate the way things have been for a while. 

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

You have Rick Smith, John Dorsey, and I'm sure other guys (TV guys, maybe other former GMs that arent in the fold currently) that are worthy of interviews/looking into.

The article mentions Rick Smith, Jerry Reece, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie as the ones that rumblings are being heard about teams having interest or them wanting to get back in.

Then it mentions Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer in Seattle, Jeff Ireland and Terry Fontenot in New Orleans, George Paton in Minnesota, Champ Kelly in Chicago, Mike Borgonzi in Kansas City, Ed Dodds in Indianapolis, John Spytek in Tampa Bay, Joe Schoen in Buffalo, and Nick Caserio and Eliot Wolf in New England as options that are currently on teams. 

It also mentions Martin Mayhew as a name we specifically might be interested in, as well as Dave Ziegler.

Then also mentioned Ray Farmer might get another chance, as well as suggesting Brad Holmes could be a name to watch in Atlanta. 

Edited by pwny
5 minutes ago, pwny said:

The article mentions Rick Smith, Jerry Reece, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie as the ones that rumblings are being heard about teams having interest or them wanting to get back in.

Then it mentions Trent Kirchner and Scott Fitterer in Seattle, Jeff Ireland and Terry Fontenot in New Orleans, George Paton in Minnesota, Champ Kelly in Chicago, Mike Borgonzi in Kansas City, Ed Dodds in Indianapolis, John Spytek in Tampa Bay, Joe Schoen in Buffalo, and Nick Caserio and Eliot Wolf in New England as options that are currently on teams. 

Jerry Reece and McKenzie scare me off a bit just from what I remember but ill have to dive in.

The rest are guys I've definitely heard of pretty much every year. My favorites (with very little reasoning outside of how people talk about them) is Dodds, Borgonzi, and Wolf.

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

It also mentions Martin Mayhew as a name we specifically might be interested in, as well as Dave Ziegler.

Then also mentioned Ray Farmer might get another chance, as well as suggesting Brad Holmes could be a name to watch in Atlanta. 

The first two regarding our specific GM position or just as options for all the potential openings?

Mayhew had a pretty bad rap. I know he selected Stafford, Calvin, Suh, etc. though. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

The first two regarding our specific GM position or just as options for all the potential openings?

Mayhew had a pretty bad rap. I know he selected Stafford, Calvin, Suh, etc. though. 

First two were names specifically linked to Jacksonville in the article.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Mayhew’s definitely one that I don’t know how to view. He made some killer picks with the Lions at the top of the draft, but they never got over the hump. Basically the reverse Dave. But he’s also apparently had a good size role on the 49ers as they have built the team they have now.

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

Mayhew’s definitely one that I don’t know how to view. He made some killer picks with the Lions at the top of the draft, but they never got over the hump. Basically the reverse Dave. But he’s also apparently had a good size role on the 49ers as they have built the team they have now.

Yeah, sounds as if he's been instrumental the past few years in SF. 

Looking back at Lions drafts he definitely had a lot of killer picks at the top. Was a bit mixed after that, but I think you look at any GMs resume and that's going to ring true. The fact he did hit on a QB and largely took advantage of high picks is a big plus.

Detroit is just weird though as far as lack of playoff success/getting over the hump. He's definitely had the best track record of any GM there in a long time I'd imagine. So it's kind of hard to gauge, especially being in that division with some killer competition/Rodgers.

So, taking our Meyer, still a lot to unpack from that blurb.

Sounds like we are wanting a HC that will get control of all things on the field/the team. So more of a pairing like what's been happening recently than a GM who then interviews HCs.

• .Buzz changed the title to The Official GM Search Thread