2021 Mock Drafts

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’ve actually been intrigued by the prospect of Wade falling into the second round as well. If he does, I think the smart play would be to convert him into a safety. I’m not incredibly impressed with this safety class, so Wade’s skillset to be physical, provide some nickel ability, while also being as twitchy, explosive, and instinctual as he has shown he can be... I’d be intrigued to see what he looks like in deep coverage.

I think there’s some comparison with him to former Ohio State All American CORNER, turned NFL safety Malcolm Jenkins. We’re in desperate need of a legit safety that can play cover 1 and be a playmaker deep and I think Wade has the potential to provide that kind of ability. I’m not a fan of how he’s looked at outside corner though, he’s consistently not shown an ability to hang against NFL talent IMO.

Another player he compares to was how Alabama utilizes Minkah Fitzpatrick, only without the same cover 1 showings. While it stands to reason he has that he could have that skillset, it’s not a given. If he falls, I really like him as a safety convert option.

I could definitely see him playing the Minkah Fitz role. Another thing I was going to add is that his addition, barring injury, would probably force Iman Marshall to playing safety if he wants to have a future with the team. 

• Like 1

My attempt at an early mock

28. Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

60. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU 

131. Ar'Darius Washington, S, TCU (as a full time slot defender)

166. Austin Watkins, WR, UAB 

207. Tarron Jackson, EDGE, Coastal Carolina (know nothing about him, but the description on TDN makes him sound like a McPhee/ZaDarius Smith sort of prospect)

212. Josh Ball, OT, Marshall

Take it you like Zaven at SAM for us?

Getting both TCU safeties would be a pretty interesting draft scenario. IIRC Jason Phillips is the last TCU player we took. Maybe it's time we show the horned frogs(My favorite college logo) some more love.

14 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Take it you like Zaven at SAM for us?

Getting both TCU safeties would be a pretty interesting draft scenario. IIRC Jason Phillips is the last TCU player we took. Maybe it's time we show the horned frogs(My favorite college logo) some more love.

Not @drd23 but I like Zaven a lot as a SAM, almost as a Judon swap out.

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

If we keep Wink, while losing Judon and Bowser, we're definitely going to need to draft someone to fill the role. Cause it'd be a waste to drop Yannick into coverage and a disaster to drop Ferg into coverage. And I doubt Wink would just scrub that element from his plays.

14 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

If we keep Wink, while losing Judon and Bowser, we're definitely going to need to draft someone to fill the role. Cause it'd be a waste to drop Yannick into coverage and a disaster to drop Ferg into coverage. And I doubt Wink would just scrub that element from his plays.

I'm guessing we re-up Bowser. With the likely cap reduction, I think it makes sense for him to sign something like a $20M/2 year deal to stick around and hit the market again at 27. That said, Wink has shown that he really likes having two SAMs. I think we bring back YN on a 5 or 6 year deal, McPhee on a one, and Ferguson continuing on his rookie deal. Thinking Ward isn't available again on the cheap as the remainder of the NFL realizes the error of their ways (we take solace in a ~6th round comp pick). 

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I was thinking more of a bigger, tougher Bowser, but given Tyus and Judon basically play the same role now your explanation fits better 

Also I just realised I ended up with 2 of the same players you did 

• Like 1

If anyone wants a different mock drafting simulator to play around with, I found this one that even allows you to make trades (and the CPU will propose trades to you).  I can't say I can evaluate how good their big board is though because I don't really have a grip on that many prospects yet

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/mockdraft/

As an example, this is what I got:

Pick 28 - traded to PIT for #34 and 2022 4th
Pick 34 - traded along with 186 (which I assume is our 6th) to PHI for #37 and 2022 3rd

Pick 37 - Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
Pick 59 - traded along with 153 (our 5th) to CLE for #60 and #123
Pick 60 - Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
Pick 123 - Shaun Wade, DB, OSU
Pick 125 - Shaka Toney, EDGE, Penn State

35 minutes ago, drd23 said:

If anyone wants a different mock drafting simulator to play around with, I found this one that even allows you to make trades (and the CPU will propose trades to you).  I can't say I can evaluate how good their big board is though because I don't really have a grip on that many prospects yet

As an example, this is what I got:

Pick 28 - traded to PIT for #34 and 2022 4th
Pick 34 - traded along with 186 (which I assume is our 6th) to PHI for #37 and 2022 3rd

Pick 37 - Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
Pick 59 - traded along with 153 (our 5th) to CLE for #60 and #123
Pick 60 - Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama
Pick 123 - Shaun Wade, DB, OSU
Pick 125 - Shaka Toney, EDGE, Penn State

Yeah PFN is one of the ones I used to use, I linked it in the OP via hyperlink.

I like their trade machine as well, though I feel it’s sort of too random. Like if another team doesn’t approach you via trade, I find you don’t know who’s a good trade target to trade down. Don’t particularly like their prospect rankings either. But they definitely have a very fluid website. Not too bulking to the CPU.

I think the best one I’ve found since they also allow trades but I like their board better.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2021/user-mock-170653

The trade component is by far the best of the ones I’ve tried as it tells you how close you are to making a deal.

Though, there machine is a little... heavy. I think the code is probably too bulky and that slows down its performance on my phone. Works great on my iPad though.

As of right now I’m really digging PFF’s Draft Machine as well. Also allows trades. Their prospect rankings differ from the consensus some however as it’s influenced by their grades. I think they have the 2nd best trade component behind the Mock Draft Database. They only allow you like 5 trade offers while on the clock, which adds a little intrigue to it, like you’re an actual team that has limited time on the clock. Pretty cool.

https://www.pff.com/draft/nfl-mock-draft-simulator

So you might like these ones as well since you’re getting into mock draft season.

Edited by diamondbull424
18 hours ago, drd23 said:

Upon further review, after you pimped them, I went and tried out their machine again; I find their prospect rankings are definitely better than when I was using them a couple months back. Much closer to how I find these prospects based on my observations. Far more realistic mock experience now.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously this mock includes some trades. Definitely moved around the board in order to get some of the prospects that I feel would be most ideal in the purple and black in Creed, Wallace, Weaver, and Washington. Beyond that I just sort of went with a best player available approach. I’ve definitely been impressed with Jordan Smith throughout the process and while I could’ve probably traded down to accumulate additional late round options, I felt his ability was certainly worth more than a trade down could supply. Caden Sterns I haven’t been able to find much tape on (yet), outside of highlight videos. I know he was a top recruit coming into Texas and lived up to the hype as a freshman but has seemingly regressed the following two seasons, the goal there is that with good coaching, he unlocks his potential and becomes an impact safety option.

That said, Ardarius Washington I am very high on and think he’s got 1st round ability/production with day 3 traits, I could easily see him carving out a Honeybager Tyrann Mathieu type of role. Between both Sterns and Washington, I like them to compete with DeShon Elliot and each other for safety roles within our secondary. We can field as much as 3 safeties and beyond that, the extra safety depth would be useful in the event that either Elliot or Clark were to go down for any length of time.

Weaver’s length and hand technique along with run stopping ability would make him nearly a perfect fit within our defense. I could see instant impact within our defense within what will likely be a youth movement along the edge of the defense.

Lastly Lamar gets help with both Creed and Wallace. Tylan Wallace being a Z receiver option could allow us to use Hollywood more freely within the slot. I’m sure their would be growing pains, but I think he could carve out an offensive role before the season ends. While Creed has the balance and power to make him someone that could become one of the better centers in the NFL. He’s very polished and intelligent upfront in pointing out the protections. His only flaw has been some snaps that weren’t as clean as a RS sophomore. Considering our issues this past season that definitely is less than ideal, but his ability and his consistency outside of that one season is more than enough to make me comfortable with his prospects in the 2nd round.

• Like 2
On 1/26/2021 at 10:13 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I’ve definitely been impressed with Jordan Smith throughout the process and while I could’ve probably traded down to accumulate additional late round options, I felt his ability was certainly worth more than a trade down could supply.

Kind of get Maxx Crosby vibes from Jordan Smith. Smith is even longer than him too, massive wingspan. Wish there was more game footage available for him.

Pick 27- Traded to Colts (Teven Jenkins) for 2022 2nd Round, 2022 5th round, Pick #54, and Pick #84, Pick #152
Pick 54- Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Pick 58- Richie Grant, FS, UCF
Pick 84- Jackson Carmen, OG/OT, Clemson
Pick 98- Jordan Smith, Edge, UAB
Pick 125- Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State
Pick 152- Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia
Pick 155- Drake Jackson, C, Kentucky
Pick 188- Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina

So I wasn’t able to get the WR position injected with a talent. I had the choice between going with Jack Carmen or D’Wayne Eskridge in the 3rd round, both presented great value and good arguments for the selection. Ultimately I felt like with Orlando Brown on the last year of his deal and his contract up in the air, along with the durability questions concerning Ronnie Stanley, drafting someone that could likely be an above average RT and possibly a great guard within our system outweighed the idea of a WR that with his draft position and our offense, the coaches probably aren’t putting into a position to breakout anyway. I figure with an additional 2022 top 100 pick to toy with, we could potentially use it in a trade for a WR. Perhaps if Atlanta isn’t within the thick of the playoff race, Julio goes onto the trade block or something.

Outside of that I think the clear strategy was updating our trenches on both sides. Creed Humphrey was BPA on the board at a position of need. Adding Carmen presents an elite interior offensive line, while adding Drake Jackson adds redundancy to our center position. Can almost guarantee one of Bredesen, Powers, Phillips ends up going on IR at some point regardless of how minor the injury in training camp. Either way our OL would go from a weakness to being a strength even if injuries attack the unit or we’re forced to trade Brown Jr if things escalate either prior to or during his final year of his contract.

Along the DL while we haven’t great need for IDL with Wolfe, Williams, Campbell, Madubuike, and Washington being a strong core... both Wilson and Stills were BPA options. I had a choice between Wilson and Shaun Wade there, considering how our run defense has falling off the last few seasons with Brandon Williams going down and BWill not getting any younger, I felt Wilson presented a strong option we could develop to replace Williams impact. Stills is an unbelievable interior pass rushing force that was IIRC an unanimous All American selection. The value was simply too high there to pass up regardless of our depth. Stills and Madubuike possess similar talents and unleashing both as pass rushers could present an elite IDL pass rushing core that we haven’t seen since... Haloti Ngata/Kelly Gregg/Trevor Pryce in 2006.

So the rest of the picks went towards the defense. It seems to be clear what type of team the Ravens want to build. They want an elite defense that teams will have issues running the football on, they want an elite secondary to make QBs have to complete passes with a high degree of difficulty consistently- minimizing the big plays, forcing long drives that consistently put the ball into harms way... and they’ve been either looking to build speed along the edges or lengthy pass rushers that impact passing lanes.

So obviously Richie Grant being on the board was simply too perfect an addition. The only true weakness of our secondary has been having an elite true FS style player that can legitimately present the athleticism, instincts, and IQ to play single high comfortably. We tried to get some of that with Earl Thomas, but he was also in decline. Yet even if Grant could only perform on a 2019 ET coverage level, it’d be a massive upgrade over Elliot as a cover safety option. Grant would complete our secondary to the point where it could rival some of the best secondaries in NFL history, especially if all the top pieces can remain healthy.

Beyond that Jordan Smith has been someone I’ve loved in the process from the beginning, he’s just risen up some. His length and athleticism combination present plenty of potential, yet he also plays under control and is an impact option in the backfield for TFL. He’s someone that is going to contain all of these mobile QBs within the pocket, he’s going to impact passing lanes with his length, and he’s going to be able to get the coverage sacks when they come his way. Lastly, Mukuamu is a physical corner that paired with Jaycee Horn to form one of the best and most physical secondaries in college football. He was a steal to fall so late and he would add great depth to the position that will likely come in handy at some point.
———

So while it pained me to not be able to present Lamar with a weapon at WR or TE, I think we’d be an attractive destination for the top UDFA TE options out there once again, we already have Breeland in the fold, and I suppose this scenario hopes the front office picked up a quality veteran WR option like a Sammy Watkins or that they can trade for a Julio Jones prior to the trade deadline. But considering we picked up a future 2nd and 5th to go along with this haul, if for some reason we enter the 2022 offseason with WR still as a need we’d be in position to capitalize on what should once again be a strong WR class with what should be few legitimate needs on the team and the ammo to potentially move up (if necessary) and get WR options like George Pickens, Justyn Ross, John Metchie, and Chris Olave.

This 2021 defensive unit would certainly be exciting though and could make a run at some of our best defensive units of all time. It’s honestly exciting to think about. Especially with veterans like Wolfe and McPhee on the squad to round it out. The only potential weakness would be if Patrick Queen doesn’t develop as a coverage LBer, but if he makes a huge or even quality leap, this unit would be suffocating.

• Like 1

Seeing db's mock prompted me to have another go at PFN's mock draft machine, and here's what I came up with (note, lots of trading which I'm sure would make EDC proud 😅:

27 +125 traded to CLE for 47, 59 + 89
47 traded to OAK for 48 + 149

49 - Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
58 +  149 traded to KC for 64 + 95
59 - Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
64 - Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State

84 + 188 traded to OAK for 115 + 2022 4th
89 - Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
95 - Quincy Roche, EDGE, Miami
115 - Shaun Wade, DB, OSU
155 - William Bradley-King, EDGE, Baylor

Basically its help for the offense up top, and depth for the defense later on. 

Freiermuth and Wallace to provide more talent to catch the ball while Freiermuth's willingness to block should make him an ideal #2 TE and take up Hayden Hurst's old role in the offense (while also being some insurance if Andrews isn't signed long term after the 2021 season)  

I personally believe that the OL really needs 2 things - a good C and to get healthy.  One of Mekari, Powers, Bredeson or Phillips can play RG between Humphrey at C and Brown at RT and we'd do pretty well.

What Andre Cisco does well would fit in well in the secondary next to Chuck Clark, but I'm not sure how high he'd be on the team's actual Big Board given his issues in tackling and run fits.  Wade is a talented player to add to the secondary who I think could fit as a slot CB if he can improve his press technique

I double dipped at EDGE given the number of players that might be lost at the position

• Like 1