Fresh start offseason mock.

SimbaWho

Lions hire Tony Dungy as GM.

Lions hire Joe Brady as HC.

Marvin Lewis is hired as AHC/DC.

Lions trade Mathew Stafford to the Steelers for their 3rd round pick, 7th round pick, and 3rd round pick in 2022. 

1st (8th overall) – Kyle Trask, QB. Florida. ( 6’5, 240lbs. )

2nd – Asante Samuel Jr., CB. Florida State. ( 5’10, 185lbs. )

3rd – Daniel Faalele, OL. Minnesota. ( 6’9, 400lbs. )

3rd – (PIT) Tedarrell Slaton, DT. Florida. ( 6’5, 345lbs. )

4th – Alaric Jackson, OT. Iowa. ( 6’7, 320lbs. )

6th – Jahad Woods, LB. Washington State. ( 6’1, 230lbs. )

7th – Evan McPherson, K. Florida. ( 5’10, 165lbs. )

7th – (PIT) Spencer Brown, RB/FB. UAB. ( 6’1, 220lbs. )

Lions resign WR Kenny Golladay to a 5 year deal worth 85 million dollars, 25 million dollar signing bonus, 12 million dollar salary.

Lions sign WR Curtis Samuel to a 3 year deal worth 21 million dollars, 5.25 million dollar signing bonus, 5.25 million dollar salary.

Lions sign QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 3 year deal worth 15.5 million, 3.5 million dollar signing bonus, 4 million dollar salary.

Lions resign DE Romeo Okwara to a 2 year deal worth 5.5 million dollars, 1 million dollar signing bonus, 2.25 million dollar salary.

Lions sign DE Taco Charlton to a 2 year deal worth 5.5 million dollars, 1 million dollar signing bonus, 2.25 million dollar salary.

Lions sign WR Chris Hogan to a 1 year deal worth league minimum.

Lions resign LS Don Mulbach to a 1 year deal worth the league minimum.

Lions resign LB/FB Jason Cabina to a 1 year RFA offer.

Alot of people will want to see certain guys gone but some guys like viati and daniels have too much garuanteed cash to cut/release this year, so Lions will have to play the year out and next season Lions will have a boat load of cash after dumping Viatai/Daniels/Flowers/Collins/Coleman. 

Drafted

Resigned

UFA/RFA signing

Roster:

RT: Tyrell Crosby, Alaric Jackson

RG: Daniel Faalele, Halapoulivaati Vaitai

OC: Frank Ragnow, Logan Stenberg

LG: Jonah Jackson, Joe Dahl

LT: Taylor Decker, Matt Nelson

RB: D’Andre Swift, Kerryon Johnson, Spencer Brown

FB: Jason Cabina

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniels, Kyle Trask

WR: Kenny Golladay, Curtis Samuel, Chris Hogan, Quintez Cephus, Geronimo Allison

TE: T.J. Hockenson, Jesse James, Hunter Bryant

DE: Trey Flowers, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant

DT: John Penisini, Nick Williams, Da’Shawn Hand

DT: Tedarrell Slaton, Danny Shelton

DE: Taco Charlton, Romeo Okwara

OLB: Christian Jones, Jayleen Maybin-Revees

MLB: Jahad Woods, Jahlani Tavai

OLB: Jamie Collins, Jason Cabina

CB: Desmond Trufant, Amani Oruwariye

Nickle: Justin Coleman, Michael Ford

S: Tracy Walker, Will Harris

S: Durron Harmon, C.J. Moore

CB: Jeff Okudah, Asante Samuel Jr.

LS: Don Mulbach

P: Jack Fox

K: Evan McPherson

KR/PR: Curtis Samuel

Edited by SimbaWho

Hey! I had the idea for a "change of direction" mock. 

I don't believe that Dungy is going to want to get into the GM. However, if he did I have a hard time seeing him coming to Detroit after the Lions fired Caldwell. 

I also have a really tough time hiring a guy who is not even one year removed from being an OC at the college level and suddenly raising him to NFL HC. At least with Rhule and Kingsbury they were HC's for quite a while at the collegiate level. I know that you're trying to offset that by bringing in Marvin Lewis as AHC/DC but then it creates an issue - who should the players be taking direction from? Their actual HC who really has no idea what he's doing and has barely had a cup of coffee at the NFL level or the longtime NFL HC that is now their coordinator? It just feels like it would create tension when it's not needed. 

Well Brady's forte is the offense which I still assume he'd have his hands all over and maybe even call plays, Marvin Lewis would be on the other side of the ball, also likely calling the plays. I didn't think the AHC thing was huge other than a reason Marvin would want to leave his college role having a more predominate role here.

Joe Brady has about as much experience as Shaun McVay had.( A little less time ) but with more success which includes a national championship, and a great 1st season with the Carolina offense. If he keeps adding to his resume, Lions won't get a sniff at him I'm afraid.

I won't argue the Tony Dungy thing. You're likely right, he's already politely declined a HC job here. He's just a guy I really like. 

Edited by SimbaWho

A couple things:

• That is a garbage trade for Stafford.  I get he won't pull a top half first round pick but he has been good enough to garner more than a couple 3rd round picks.  If thats all we can get for him, just keep him one more year and don't sign Fitzpatrick given it would be cheaper for us. 
  • I don't love the draft.  Trask has looked good but I don't really want a QB this year if it isn't Lawrence or Fields and they likely will go 1 and 2.  In the second I don't like going corner again as I feel even with a struggling Okudah, that CB is one of our deepest positions.  
  • I feel like you continued the trend of ignoring the D line.  No way I want Taco starting as he has been a huge bust everywhere he has been.  He is a big downgrade from Okwara and is barely worth keeping on as a back up.  So truly the only adjustment to the D-Line you made was adding a 3rd round pick.  
  • I really don't like the staff picks.  Dungy has been out of football for a while and has never been a GM.  Not sure I trust him in that role.  He is a great guy and seems to be enjoying retirement so I just don't think its likely or something I would want.  Joe Brady is not proven enough for me.  You don't go form passing game coordinator in college to OC in the NFL to HC in the NFL in two years, especially when your one year in the NFL has been average. Sean McVay was hired young, but he still had 3 years as an OC and 7 years in the NFL under his belt at that time.  Brady doesnt even have 7 years as a coach at all levels combined.  I get you have to take risks, but it feels like a high risk with low success rate similar to Patricia. I don't mind bringing in Marv as an assistant, and I get what you are doing in giving Brady some support from someone who has done it before, but still seems like an odd fit and a high risk situation. 
  • Like 1

Well, I mean I can put the names on paper everyone wants to see like Robert Saleh, Bieniemy, and Omar Kahn etc but why would those guys take jobs here vs idk, getting set up somewhere with the 1st overall pick or 2nd like the Jags/Jets. 

These were risk plays imo, high risk with high reward, not that other way around. Or like Patricia. Patricia had literally just rode the coat-tails of BB and Tom B. It was pointed out well how bad those NE really were. etc. These guys (Dungy/Joe Brady) at least have achieved things themselves.It's not like Coach O's offense/scheme's and play calling in LSU was what lead them to a national championship. Dungy built the TB team that won a superbowl Gruden inherited, teamed with Polian to build a great Colts organization. 

I can understand not wanting to bring in/draft a QB this year. Stafford hasn't played good. If he keeps the trend, he's really not worth much. Honestly. Very under-whelming return but I think it's want might/should be expected now. Maybe a team will cough up multi 2nd picks or something but I don't see a 1st rdp type haul. I'd bring in Fitzgerald or Brissett to compete for the starting role just cause, it's possible Trask wouldn't be ready early. I also, in my own head, like to bring these guys(QB picks) in whenever the bye week approaches. If Fitzgerald has a winning record, team is competitive then you stay the coarse maybe, if Trask looks good, and things are iffy or gone way wrong. Trask is brought in as the savior. 

I do understand avoiding the whole route though, sticking with Stafford for a year while building up team talent and trying again next offseason or whatever moving Stafford for more assets and bringing in a young QB to a better situation. 

I ignored the DL sorta cause I payed a lot attention to the offense and offensive line. Lions will have the ability to cut and gain alot of money from guys like  Coleman/Shelton/Williams/Flowers/Viatia coming off the books next year, a year they'll also have a lot of money to spend. So, the idea, for me, was to buidl the offense this go around, and next year target the defensive line/linebackers. 

Asante Samuel Jr. is a good player to me also. I'm not sure he'll even be around in the 2nd to be honest with you but he'd likely come in and compete right away for a starting role. I'd take that in the 2nd round considering we just spent a 3rd overall pick on the same type of dude. 

9 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Well, I mean I can put the names on paper everyone wants to see like Robert Saleh, Bieniemy, and Omar Kahn etc but why would those guys take jobs here vs idk, getting set up somewhere with the 1st overall pick or 2nd like the Jags/Jets. 

These were risk plays imo, high risk with high reward, not that other way around. Or like Patricia. Patricia had literally just rode the coat-tails of BB and Tom B. It was pointed out well how bad those NE really were. etc. These guys (Dungy/Joe Brady) at least have achieved things themselves.It's not like Coach O's offense/scheme's and play calling in LSU was what lead them to a national championship. Dungy built the TB team that won a superbowl Gruden inherited, teamed with Polian to build a great Colts organization. 

I can understand not wanting to bring in/draft a QB this year. Stafford hasn't played good. If he keeps the trend, he's really not worth much. Honestly. Very under-whelming return but I think it's want might/should be expected now. Maybe a team will cough up multi 2nd picks or something but I don't see a 1st rdp type haul. I'd bring in Fitzgerald or Brissett to compete for the starting role just cause, it's possible Trask wouldn't be ready early. I also, in my own head, like to bring these guys(QB picks) in whenever the bye week approaches. If Fitzgerald has a winning record, team is competitive then you stay the coarse maybe, if Trask looks good, and things are iffy or gone way wrong. Trask is brought in as the savior. 

I do understand avoiding the whole route though, sticking with Stafford for a year while building up team talent and trying again next offseason or whatever moving Stafford for more assets and bringing in a young QB to a better situation. 

I ignored the DL sorta cause I payed a lot attention to the offense and offensive line. Lions will have the ability to cut and gain alot of money from guys like  Coleman/Shelton/Williams/Flowers/Viatia coming off the books next year, a year they'll also have a lot of money to spend. So, the idea, for me, was to buidl the offense this go around, and next year target the defensive line/linebackers. 

Asante Samuel Jr. is a good player to me also. I'm not sure he'll even be around in the 2nd to be honest with you but he'd likely come in and compete right away for a starting role. I'd take that in the 2nd round considering we just spent a 3rd overall pick on the same type of dude. 

I agree, not many would have us first on their list.  Saleh might because one SF isnt repeating so he wont have the run it back mentality and because he is from Detroit. I also don't know why the guys you have would come here other than they arent getting a shot elsewhere this year.  Which isnt a good sign IMO. 

I still strongly disagree with you on Stafford.  He has had a few bad games but so has every QB outside of Mahomes. I get that a lot of Lions fans have grown tired of him but he is still top 11 in yards, his TD/INT ratio isnt bad, and he has been sacked third most times in the league all while playing 60% of his games without Golladay and/or Swift.  Starting QBs have value in this league, and even if he is a late teens ranked QB, that means there are 10ish teams that would be glad to have him.  Not everyone is going to get a top pick or be able to replace their QB if they retire (Pitt, TB, New Orleans, Indy) and there are still quite a few places that need a QB (NYJ, NYG, Wash, Den, Jax, maybe Dallas, Minny, maybe Atl, Chi, etc).  He would easily get us a couple 2nds and if not, you keep him one more year to play the role of Fitzpatrick in your mock.  

I don't see where you built the O Line.  I see a 3rd round guard again and nothing else changed.  I would be ok with that but then again, we need more defense.  I think Samuel will be solid but unless you think Okudah is for sure a bust, I wouldn't draft a CB in this draft.  We are set there and if we get any sort of a pass rush, our CBs will look better.  Having a good defense has been the heart of many teams that have succeeded early.  Even the Chiefs last year won because of their D improving.  SF and the Rams under their coaches added to their D lines and thats how I would want to build this team.  If we go into another year with that D Line, I dont really see any of the results being better unless Julian Okwara is a stud.  

20 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

As much as I hate the idea, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way we go. Putting resources into the offense and trying to make the defense serviceable seems like the easier path. I don't know if it is the better path, but definitely easier.

16 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't see where you built the O Line.  I see a 3rd round guard again and nothing else changed.  I would be ok with that but then again, we need more defense.

Yeah, I mean I drafted a starting guard in the 3rd round, we could argue RG is our biggest issues/weakest link on the Oline and that C-LG-LT are set, Croby is average at RT but the weak-link seems to be whoever they've been plugging in at RG(IMO). If I drafted a guy in the 3rd on defense you'd just be upset I didn't draft a guy earlier lol. I think it's a little nit-picky to get upset a 3rd round starting guard was drafted over defense. 

I'm also not really arguing with you about Stafford other than it's just a point of view of what he's worth, play, value. Who knows really if new management will or won't wanna move on. 

An, yeah not arguing about how to be a really good team either, Love Dlines with pressure/pass rushers but Lions are tied up in a lot of money on the Dline this next year anyways, It's maybe a little easier to solidfy the offense in 1 season vs rebuild the total defense. So, idk, Instead I drafted some solid players, and would be thinking of using the draft/money next year to totally shape the defense into whatever. Lions will have a crazy amount of money to spend next year if they trade Stafford, move on and release the players previously mentioned. 

Like, the first year is a tough job for the Lions new staff, not a ton of cash, holes everywhere, Stafford decision, Golladay, but after sifting through the weeds in the grass.... The following season, the clean slate will be given and they'll be allowed to make some serious moves... for better or for worst! I mean they'll have the money to bring in all three of the four of these guys, if they wanted to pay them.

OLB/DE Matt Judon

OLB/DE Bud Dupree

DE Yannick Ngakoue

DL Leonard Williams

14 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah, I mean I drafted a starting guard in the 3rd round, we could argue RG is our biggest issues/weakest link on the Oline and that C-LG-LT are set, Croby is average at RT but the weak-link seems to be whoever they've been plugging in at RG(IMO). If I drafted a guy in the 3rd on defense you'd just be upset I didn't draft a guy earlier lol. I think it's a little nit-picky to get upset a 3rd round starting guard was drafted over defense. 

I wasn't being nitpicky, but you said you didn't build the defense because you improved the O line, and I didnt see an improvement. I have already stated I think D Line in the 2nd would be so much more beneficial based on you drafting a QB in the first.  But I would have much rather added to the D Line in the 3rd than O line as I agree Crosby has been average and I think Vatai has been solid when played at RG, but we keep sending him out as a RT and are struggling with that.  I think drafting a 3rd round G to start is risky, but it has sort of worked ok on the left side this year and overall isnt really considered upgrading the OL IMO.  

At this stage I’m not going to offer to much. I don’t like the Stafford trade. Not because of the direction you chose to go, rather, the results. I wouldn’t move Stafford unless it’s in a package to move up and get one of the top QB’s. Signing Fitzpatrick, trading Stafford, why not just draft your guy and keep Stafford until he’s ready?

Love Dungy but I doubt he would come here. I’m hoping they hire Dungy, Cowher and a few others as consultants  to provide input for the GM selection. If they are going with someone without GM experience then I would hope they keep the consultants on to hire a coach as well.

There isn’t, from my perspective, sufficient football experience between ownership and Wood to make appropriate hires. Calling the league or brining in one individual to help still isn’t enough.