Best WR in Football

Chiefer

13 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

oh, so youre the sole decider on whose injury is severe enough to hamper play? Why is a hamstring pull not as bad as a high ankle sprain? 

Seriously? Michael Thomas's high ankle sprain occurred in week 1 he didn't come back until week 9, he has been on the injury report citing ankle every week since week 1. They are notorious for being a lingering injury generally past when an athlete returns from it (for example Saquon Barkley last season never really looked right after his high ankle injury until the last few weeks of the season). Hamstring injury often take about 2-3 weeks to come back from without much hinderance of explosiveness (pulled mine several times between high school and college track to be very familiar with this injury). Given that Julio was back playing very soon (Missed 1 week if I'm not mistaken) after pulling his hamstring, it was almost guaranteed to not be a significant high grade hamstring pull. So yeah, I can make a pretty easy assessment to say Michael Thomas's injury was more significant this season.

13 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Also, seems like your sole criteria if Michael thomas is healthy is if he produces or not. ANd you still havent explained how comparing CMC to Thomas makes sense, as CMC still had the production. Really look forward to the cmc thing in particular. 

My criteria is Michael Thomas has looked pretty close to his usual self again the past 3 games. 2 of which he went over 100 yards with Taysom Hill at QB.

The game he didn't go over 100 yards was last week against the Broncos in one of the most unusual games I've witnessed since following the sport in the mid 90's with the Broncos not having a QB on the roster. This is truly a prime example of box score scouting, and it is quite amusing to see. Sean Payton went on record stating he just wanted to run the ball more than usual to limit any mistakes given their QB situation. The stat line reflects that style of play as we ran the ball 44 times in that game. Taysom Hill threw for 78 yards in that game, but Michael Thomas still managed to pick up 50 yards out of those 78 yards passing. 

When healthy Michael Thomas produces, this isn't some surprising new discovery. He has been doing so the past few weeks now that he looks like he is close to being fully healthy again. He's averaged nearly 1,500 yards receiving the past 3 seasons and is 27 years old (right in his prime, not a case of a guy near his mid 30's where you could question if he just doesn't have it anymore), he didn't magically forget how to play football earlier this season. One could say Christian McCaffrey averaging 3.8 yards a carry isn't him playing up to his usual standards. That said, he will also be fine come next season once he is fully healthy again. Just a silly argument by you.

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Seriously? Michael Thomas's high ankle sprain occurred in week 1 he didn't come back until week 9, he has been on the injury report citing ankle every week since week 1. They are notorious for being a lingering injury generally past when an athlete returns from it (for example Saquon Barkley last season never really looked right after his high ankle injury until the last few weeks of the season). Hamstring injury often take about 2-3 weeks to come back from without much hinderance of explosiveness (pulled mine several times between high school and college track to be very familiar with this injury). Given that Julio was back playing very soon (Missed 1 week if I'm not mistaken) after pulling his hamstring, it was almost guaranteed to not be a significant high grade hamstring pull. So yeah, I can make a pretty easy assessment to say Michael Thomas's injury was more significant this season.

My criteria is Michael Thomas has looked pretty close to his usual self again the past 3 games. 2 of which he went over 100 yards with Taysom Hill at QB.

The game he didn't go over 100 yards was last week against the Broncos in one of the most unusual games I've witnessed since following the sport in the mid 90's with the Broncos not having a QB on the roster. This is truly a prime example of box score scouting, and it is quite amusing to see. Sean Payton went on record stating he just wanted to run the ball more than usual to limit any mistakes given their QB situation. The stat line reflects that style of play as we ran the ball 44 times in that game. Taysom Hill threw for 78 yards in that game, but Michael Thomas still managed to pick up 50 yards out of those 78 yards passing. 

When healthy Michael Thomas produces, this isn't some surprising new discovery. He has been doing so the past few weeks now that he looks like he is close to being fully healthy again. He's averaged nearly 1,500 yards receiving the past 3 seasons and is 27 years old (right in his prime, not a case of a guy near his mid 30's where you could question if he just doesn't have it anymore), he didn't magically forget how to play football earlier this season. One could say Christian McCaffrey averaging 3.8 yards a carry isn't him playing up to his usual standards. That said, he will also be fine come next season once he is fully healthy again. Just a silly argument by you.

you lose all credibly when you say a hamstring pull doesnt limit explosiveness. In all seriousness, cmnon man. Thats just too easy to point out. ANd you clearly dont know Jones history this season. hes missed three games and played about a quarter in two more because of that injury. Its been nagging him all year essentially. Youre factually wrong about the injury, you certainly havent been there and youre medical knowledge seems suspect (based on when you say pulled hamstrings dont limit explosiveness) yet youre claiming THomas' injury is more severe. Why? 

Ill stop there as to not to derail the thread with 5 pages of michael thomas debate. Really, its all that needs to be said, i mean, fake news central over here. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, Flounch said:

It's very difficult to say one of them is better than any other. 

They both have strengh and weakness and have different skills. 

For me, the one who has a complete package would be Julio Jones/Megatron.

They can play everywhere, they are playmaker, they can block, they are legit WR1. 

What's Davante's weakness? Just curious 👀

56 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you lose all credibly when you say a hamstring pull doesnt limit explosiveness. In all seriousness, cmnon man. Thats just too easy to point out.

"Without much hindrance" doesn't equal no hindrance. In comparing the 2 injuries a mild hamstring pull is easier to regain explosiveness than a high ankle.

ANd you clearly dont know Jones history this season. hes missed three games and played about a quarter in two more because of that injury. Its been nagging him all year essentially. Youre factually wrong about the injury, you certainly havent been there and youre medical knowledge seems suspect (based on when you say pulled hamstrings dont limit explosiveness) yet youre claiming THomas' injury is more severe. Why? 

Yeah you can tweak hamstring again if you rush coming back (that doesn't mean you can't run near full speed a few weeks after the injury). Jones has done that this year, never stated he hasn't, it's still not as bad as a high ankle injury, which generally take months to fully regain explosiveness. Not rocket science dude. Thomas's injury was undoubtedly more severe.

Ill stop there as to not to derail the thread with 5 pages of michael thomas debate. Really, its all that needs to be said, i mean, fake news central over here. 

Perfect your lack of football knowledge continues to be laughable, and your arguments continue to go nowhere.

4 hours ago, rthom348 said:

What's Davante's weakness? Just curious 👀

Long speed. He’s not known for being a burner. Wouldn’t call it a weakness because he’s plenty fast, but it’s not a top strength for him. He’s not the most durable guy either. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 6:09 AM, ET80 said:

I don't know if you can really make this statement, because we don't know what the rest of the field looks like under these circumstances - DeAndre Hopkins, Julio Jones have never had these parameters to perform with, but we know they gave produced at an All Time level WITHOUT these assets to rely on.

Michael Thomas had many of those things (not the GOAT at QB, but a better playcaller in Sean Payton) and he set the single season reception record. So, that should be the real litmus test when separating these guys - what are they doing on a historic level?

You also have to factor in other assets available. How much does Tyreek benefit from having one of the best TEs in the game, a guy who is currently 2nd in yardage? That dictates coverage a lot, does Tyreek benefit from that moreso than his contemporaries?

It's a very convoluted discussion - that's why I'm looking at guys who produce despite their circumstances. Hopkins gets high marks, Michael Thomas had a great run with Teddy Bridgewater as QB - heck, Tyreek had pretty good results with Alex Smith (however, it's a clear drop-off between Smith and Mahomes). I really don't know about Julio, but he seems to be consistent with "good" Matt Ryan and "bad" Matt Ryan. Keenan Allen was good with Phillip Rivers, but is going bananas with Justin Herbert, so he's an example of a guy who can elevate as his QB situation gets better, a la Tyreek. Mike Evans has a decline in receptions and yards with Tom Brady, but has an uptick in TDs - how do you score that?

TL;DR - Hopkins is immune to bad supporting casts. I can't say that about anyone else in this discussion.

If only a vaccine had been developed that could have made him immune to bad GM's.  :(

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, tyler735 said:

No love for megatron?

Wow!  That just goes to show that being 6'5" tall and having a 41" vertical is never a bad thing.  Megatron was incredible!  (I would give you a football for posting that highlight but, unfortunately, I've used up my allotment for the day.) 

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Long speed. He’s not known for being a burner. Wouldn’t call it a weakness because he’s plenty fast, but it’s not a top strength for him. He’s not the most durable guy either. 

As long as we're on the same page that he has no weakness, we're good😎

13 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cant you say that about essentially all the top WRs? Whats Dhops weakness? whats Hills weakness?

Dhop actually does have a weakness. But his greatest strength masks it pretty well. He's not a top tier route runner. Honestly wouldn't even put him in the top 20 in terms of route running. He rarely ever creates separation. His hands and physicality just makes up for it many times. I think it's fair to label it as a weakness for him. 

As for Hill, if I was nitpicking, I guess I'd just say his height. It doesn't seem to affect him as much as it should. I don't think it'd be fair to label that as a weakness for him.

All in all, I agree with your premise. The very best receivers don't really have a glaring "weakness."

14 hours ago, Ketchup said:

He's not an elite YAC guy either.

16 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

cant you say that about essentially all the top WRs? Whats Dhops weakness? whats Hills weakness?

D-hop - Long speed. He's a 4.5 guy.

Hill - size/strength. Not a guy you honestly want going over the middle on contested catches. Unless it's to burn defenders on crossing routes, you keep him outside.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, SBLIII said:

based on what?

Based on overall statistics. This is his first year and he has had the luxury of playing next to Adam thielen, who teams game plan more for. I am a Viking fan like you, but I can’t say he is better than Adam lol. I’ve seen Adam put ppl like jaire alexander on skates multiple times. I’ve seen Adam take our double teams at times. We haven’t seen Jefferson do that, and the fact you have him top 3 is even crazier.