Texans WR Will Fuller suspended 6 games for PED's

RaidersAreOne

Color me pessimistic, but I don’t think this will impact his value too much. I wouldn’t be surprised if some team will be willing to throw him a 4 year 50 mil deal still. His excuse seems semi-plausible so I bet it will depend on whether or not teams buy that. If it does tank his value, I bet he will take a 1 year prove it deal I don’t see him signing on for a multi year deal at a discounted rate. I would think he bets on himself. 

I wonder if Stills would be willing to come back. 

what are the odds that we dont bring him back because of culture or whatever? because we really care about that and not paying players apparently, makes me think the odds of him not coming back are higher than i wish they were

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:

His excuse seems semi-plausible so I bet it will depend on whether or not teams buy that.

If it was JUST this, I'd agree - but Fuller is glass, he's never played a full 16 or made it through a season without some sort of injury creeping in. From soft tissue pulls to full bone breaks and ligament tears, Fuller doesn't have the body to withstand the punishment of a full season, and the one year he DOES look like he's going to go the distance, you find out he was on an anabolic agent - was it the agent that prevented some of the injuries this year, or would it be another litany of hamstring pulls and high ankle sprains this season? Nobody can really tell.

His value took a significant shot today - saying otherwise is ignoring that he had big red health flags all over the place.

1 hour ago, Marco79 said:

Color me pessimistic, but I don’t think this will impact his value too much. I wouldn’t be surprised if some team will be willing to throw him a 4 year 50 mil deal still.

It's actually a very deep FA WR class this off-season. Chris Godwin, Kenny Golliday, Allen Robinson, Juju Smith-Schuster, Corey Davis, Ty Hilton, Curtis Samuel, Sammy Watkins, Josh Reynolds, AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Nelson Agholor - a LOT of bodies out there, and a shrunken cap to get them signed.

I think Fuller will find competetion for FA dollars to be moreso difficult than usual. If Fuller tries to cash out, then take fliers on guys like Corey Davis, Nelson Agholor or Josh Reynolds... Or bring in a vet like Marvin Jones or AJ Green. If opportunity knocks, make a play for Chris Godwin or Juju Smith-Schuster and let Fuller find his own gig (with the current knocks on his resume).

Fuller is in a very unfavorable situation, looking at a logjam at WRs above him looking for a contract - guys never suspended for PEDs and guys who have been productive for 16 full games. The Texans are probably one of the few teams that see through his situation and understand exactly what they have in Fuller, and probably the only team that will use Fuller to his peak.

It behooves Fuller probably moreso than the Texans, IMO.

23 hours ago, tab said:

what are the odds that we dont bring him back because of culture or whatever?

They brought back Brian Cushing, paid him $50mm plus, then gave him a job after he retired...

If Will Fuller is now not on our re-sign list, I have to consider the Texans might not be the team I should cheer for. A hypocritical move such as this would be close to a breaking point for me.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They brought back Brian Cushing, paid him $50mm plus, then gave him a job after he retired...

If Will Fuller is now not on our re-sign list, I have to consider the Texans might not be the team I should cheer for. A hypocritical move such as this would be close to a breaking point for me.

I imagine the McNairs love Cushing. They tried to get rid of Fuller at the trade deadline so there might not be shared sentiment there...

This is why we need EB - coming from the Andy Reid coaching tree, he understands the importance of taming types that generally break rules and sees them as football players and not human beings - I hate Tyreek Hill and what he did but I cannot lie that Chiefs offense would be half what it is without him.

Signing EB and a GM willing to work with him guarantees we finally take chances on those reclamation projects and we aren't stuck with a "well, WE SIGNED HIM, CAUSE HES A GOOD GUY" type FO that gives ppl like Eric Murray 3y/20mm. (I don't really want ET and AB in my teams locker room but I definitely want your Fuller, your Pat Pete, your Dez Bryant, etc etc)

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1