Jump to content

Offensive Coordinator Candidates (if applicable)


Recommended Posts

Obviously there is a lot of season left to be played and the playoffs will be important for this discussion as well, but I've been thinking today about what the Bills might do if they lose Daboll to a HC job. There are a few internal candidates but most of them haven't called plays before. I think with the state the team is in now and the immediate future, the Bills would hire an exp OC and try and hit the ground running as opposed to an unknown guy who may hit some speed bumps along the way. 

Regardless, below is a list of qualified guys both exp and not. Who do you guys like? What would you want in a new OC if Daboll were to leave.

Internal: 
QB Coach - Ken Dorsey. Never called plays at any level. 7 years exp as QB coach.
OL Coach - Bobby Johnson. Been an Offensive coach in college or NFL since 1999.
TE Coach - Rob Boras. Former Rams OC under Jeff Fisher.

Position Coaches currently in NFL:
Matt Canada - Steelers QB Coach. Former OC at the University of Pitt, Maryland and LSU.
Press Taylor - Eagles QB Coach since 2018.
James Urban - Ravens QB Coach. Spent time in Philadelphia while McDermott was there.
Mike Kafka - Chiefs QB Coach. Likely next in line for Chiefs OC position.
Joe Lombardi - Saints QB Coach. Former Lions OC. Been in New Orleans since 2016.
Mike McDaniel - 49ers run game coordinator. Will be considered for HC jobs. Could want to get out on his own.
Mike Lafleur - 49ers pass game coordinator. Same as above. 
Pep Hamilton - Chargers QB Coach. Has HC and OC exp. Worked with Luck in Indianapolis. 
Luke Getsy - Packers Passing Game Coordinator 

Current OC on staffs likely to be fired:
Dirk Koetter - Atlanta Faclons
Darrell Bevell - Detroit Lions OC & Interim HC
Jay Gruden - Jacksonville Jaguars
Tim Kelly - Houston Texans

HC who have been or could be fired:
Anthony Lynn - LA Chargers
BOB - Ex Houston Texans HC
Matt Nagy - Chicago Bears
Doug Peterson - Philadelphia Eagles
Adam Gase - NYJ (HECK NO!)

Dark Horses:
Kellen Moore - Current Cowboys OC
Jim Caldwell - Former Lions HC
Brad Childress - Former Vikings HC and Eagles OC.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beane/McDermott seems like a guys who want to promote from within unless a previous Carolina connection peekstheir interest. I understand that Daboll didn't really have any connection when hired to replace Rick Dennison. I think unless a HC gets fired with McBeane connections (Matt Nagy is a name to keep an eye on), it'll be Dorsey.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys worry that Dorsey has never called plays before at any level? That’s quite the jump for a position coach. 
 

Im sure it’s been done in the past and done well but I would be pretty lukewarm on it and worried about growing pains for a team ready to win now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as Daboll has improved Allen and co I just dont see him being picked up as a HC just yet. I also see it as it having to be the right fit. Meaning he is not going to just take any HC job that becomes available. Would you want to be the HC of the Jets or Jags right now knowing the past organizational issues. You will become the quick scape goat when things go up in flames fast. I could see him going to a more stable front office then those organizations. 

On the off chance he is a HC candidate and he does leave, hiring with in would be ideal but as you mention Dorsey does not have any play calling abilities so I would like to look outside. Anthony Lynn would be a great hire but would he want to come back here knowing he was past on for McDermott? A guy who I think could be useful but not sure he would want to make a lateral move even though there is some question on whether or not he is making the calls in carolina is Joe Brady. Rhule is an offensive minded HC so Brady may want to venture out and do his own thing and have full control of an offense if that is the case and he isn't up for a HC spot this would be my top choice. Another option is Kellen Moore, with the garbage he is having to deal with in Dallas he has been very creative with his play calls and this is something the bills can continue to use as Daboll has shown some stuff off like the Beasley pass to Davis this past weekend or the Philly Special a couple of weeks ago. Since Dallas is being rumored of possibly moving on from McCarthy I think Moore would be a good option if available. Pederson and Nagy could be options I just dont know if they would be fired. Nagy has been stuck with a bad qb and still managed to get some good out of it. You can add Zac Taylor to the list as a potential candidate for getting canned but not sure I would want him as he hasnt shown much with the bengals and I think he is far to inexperienced even at the Coordinator position. 

Brady and Moore would be my top 2 choices and everyone else to me is blah. Guys I would be pissed would be BoB, Gase, and Gruden.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

As much as Daboll has improved Allen and co I just dont see him being picked up as a HC just yet. I also see it as it having to be the right fit. Meaning he is not going to just take any HC job that becomes available. Would you want to be the HC of the Jets or Jags right now knowing the past organizational issues. You will become the quick scape goat when things go up in flames fast. I could see him going to a more stable front office then those organizations. 

On the off chance he is a HC candidate and he does leave, hiring with in would be ideal but as you mention Dorsey does not have any play calling abilities so I would like to look outside. Anthony Lynn would be a great hire but would he want to come back here knowing he was past on for McDermott? A guy who I think could be useful but not sure he would want to make a lateral move even though there is some question on whether or not he is making the calls in carolina is Joe Brady. Rhule is an offensive minded HC so Brady may want to venture out and do his own thing and have full control of an offense if that is the case and he isn't up for a HC spot this would be my top choice. Another option is Kellen Moore, with the garbage he is having to deal with in Dallas he has been very creative with his play calls and this is something the bills can continue to use as Daboll has shown some stuff off like the Beasley pass to Davis this past weekend or the Philly Special a couple of weeks ago. Since Dallas is being rumored of possibly moving on from McCarthy I think Moore would be a good option if available. Pederson and Nagy could be options I just dont know if they would be fired. Nagy has been stuck with a bad qb and still managed to get some good out of it. You can add Zac Taylor to the list as a potential candidate for getting canned but not sure I would want him as he hasnt shown much with the bengals and I think he is far to inexperienced even at the Coordinator position. 

Brady and Moore would be my top 2 choices and everyone else to me is blah. Guys I would be pissed would be BoB, Gase, and Gruden.

I do think Daboll will look for the right opportunity but he also knows these jobs close quickly and one bad season as an OC could ruin his chance to get his presumable dream job. 
 

For what it’s worth, Pat Kirwin on the radio yesterday listed all the names he’s hearing from his contacts in the league for both HC and GM positions. Daboll was not mentioned. So this thread could certainly be a moot point and Daboll is back next year.

Kellen Moore would be at the top of my list for the reasons you mentioned. I think he’ll end up a scapegoat or mutual part ways in Dallas. Pep Hamilton or Anthony Lynn would also be high on my list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I do think Daboll will look for the right opportunity but he also knows these jobs close quickly and one bad season as an OC could ruin his chance to get his presumable dream job. 
 

For what it’s worth, Pat Kirwin on the radio yesterday listed all the names he’s hearing from his contacts in the league for both HC and GM positions. Daboll was not mentioned. So this thread could certainly be a moot point and Daboll is back next year.

Kellen Moore would be at the top of my list for the reasons you mentioned. I think he’ll end up a scapegoat or mutual part ways in Dallas. Pep Hamilton or Anthony Lynn would also be high on my list.

Well if the bills make it through the 1st rd of playoffs dabolls chance start to get smaller so a longer post season the better chances of him stayin in Buffalo. That and his strong ties of growing up in the area may be something he would prefer. Not to mention some Coordinators dont want the HC opportunity because that brings more pressure to an already overall bad team (or they wouldnt be looking for a new coach), as well as more work being involved having to deal with all levels of the team rather then just the offense. 

I like Anthony Lynn and wouldnt be mad at the move however as I mentioned would you be interested in going back to a company that you were passed over for a promotion? To me that will be tough on Lynn, going back to a coordinator position after being HC is tough enough but going back to an organization that didnt see you as HC material is even tougher. If he is willing to do it and daboll gets a job I am all for it. 

Ideally my list would be

1 keep daboll
2 Joe Brady
3 Kelen Moore
4 Anthony Lynn

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills very likely looking for a new OC. But the good news is, the best offensive minds in the league may see Allen as their stepping stone to a HC position too, so we could have some hot names vying for the job. 

Hopefully he gets passed up on like Bienemy did

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we are talking about offensive coaches how about our guy Chad Hall. The recievers just bought him a brand new truck for Christmas. Our guys must love playing with him. Started out as an offensive assistant and is quickly becoming one of the best offensive position coaches in the game. Diggs, Brown, and Beasley all had the best years of their career playing under Hall. Diggs called Hall the best WR coach he has ever worked with. While i dont think he is gonna get a OC position this offseason... he is definitely a name to watch for the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2020 at 7:34 AM, Kmart128 said:

Since we are talking about offensive coaches how about our guy Chad Hall. The recievers just bought him a brand new truck for Christmas. Our guys must love playing with him. Started out as an offensive assistant and is quickly becoming one of the best offensive position coaches in the game. Diggs, Brown, and Beasley all had the best years of their career playing under Hall. Diggs called Hall the best WR coach he has ever worked with. While i dont think he is gonna get a OC position this offseason... he is definitely a name to watch for the future.

The video was awesome. But that would be quite a jump for Hall after only being in coaching for a few years. 
 

Id love to see him become a passing game coordinator working under an OC or something soon though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I assume we can take Kellen Moore off the list as he was offered the Boise St HC job. I think it would involve some money to lure him away from his current position and to have him stay as an OC. 

Agreed. I think he’ll be an NFL HC someday.

Im warming up to the idea of Ken Dorsey, assuming he interviews and nails it. His coaching trajectory is very similar to Kevin Stefanksi, Byron Leftwich and Kellen Moore’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...