Offensive Coordinator Candidates (if applicable)

Trentwannabe

22 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Offensive Coordinator Ken Dorsey 2021... next man up mentality is what we preach for our players and its what the coaches for strive for.  Josh Allen knows this playbook so well... it would be a shame to have to learn an entirely new offense. Even when im sure there will be lots of coaches that would love to have this job.

Bills would have to interview at least one external minority candidate because they could give Dorsey the job. 

It’s also a big leap to hand the reigns of one of the NFL’s best offenses to a guy who’s never called or designed an offense at any level before. It could happen, but I bet McDermott goes with exp. There are a lot of coaches who run the same system and have the same or similar lingo

32 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills would have to interview at least one external minority candidate because they could give Dorsey the job. 

It’s also a big leap to hand the reigns of one of the NFL’s best offenses to a guy who’s never called or designed an offense at any level before. It could happen, but I bet McDermott goes with exp. There are a lot of coaches who run the same system and have the same or similar lingo

Well every Offensive Coordinator in the NFL started out never calling a play or designing an offense. You have to start somewhere... and luckily for us ive think theyve known inside one bills drive that this was gonna be a likely possibility and that Daboll has been grooming Dorsey. Hell Daboll makes calls from the booth... on gameday Dorsey is pretty much the sideline OC. If Josh Allen or offense needs something they go to Dorsey and look over plays with Dorsey.

There is no position coach more derserving of an OC promotion more than Ken Dorsey. And heck if Daboll does take Chargers job it wpuld not surprise me one bit to see him take Dorsey with him if we dont promote him first.

2 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well every Offensive Coordinator in the NFL started out never calling a play or designing an offense. You have to start somewhere... and luckily for us ive think theyve known inside one bills drive that this was gonna be a likely possibility and that Daboll has been grooming Dorsey. Hell Daboll makes calls from the booth... on gameday Dorsey is pretty much the sideline OC. If Josh Allen or offense needs something they go to Dorsey and look over plays with Dorsey.

There is no position coach more derserving of an OC promotion more than Ken Dorsey. And heck if Daboll does take Chargers job it wpuld not surprise me one bit to see him take Dorsey with him if we dont promote him first.

And a lot have failed. A lot of guys at least get exp in college or as a passing/run game coordinator in the NFL.. It took Daboll his 3rd stint as an NFL OC to find success. I'm not saying Dorsey wouldn't be good, but it's a huge risk. A lot of OC make calls from the booth. Dorsey or whoever the new OC  is will very likely do the same. That's where assistant coaches come in.

Why would Dorsey go with Daboll? They had zero connection before 2018. He's been with McDermott and Beane for many years. He'd also only be a QB coach there or OC by title only. Daboll will call the plays.

What do you guys think of Doug Pederson??? Former superbowl champion HC thats struggled past couple seasons. Do you think he will be one of those guys that struggle as a HC but go back to play calling and succeeds? Only reason i ask is because he has experience working with McDermott in Philly

21 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

What do you guys think of Doug Pederson??? Former superbowl champion HC thats struggled past couple seasons. Do you think he will be one of those guys that struggle as a HC but go back to play calling and succeeds? Only reason i ask is because he has experience working with McDermott in Philly

He is on my short list for external candidates for sure. Though I honestly can't remember if he called plays in Kansas City or not. We know Bienemy doesn't and I don't think Nagy did either. 

10 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

With Daboll all but likely back in the fold for 2021, I’m curious if the Bills alter their coaching staff in anyway. Making Hall or Dorsey the PGC could be a good idea to officially groom them. 

I was glad to hear this last night but there are still 2 jobs left. Chargers team was the ideal choice and I hope Daboll is smart to not just chase any HC job and will wait for the right one. Dan Campbell is exxpected to be Lions, which leaves the Texans and Eagles. Why I think it is a bad idea to go there he may just want an opportunity. Hopefully him seeing the news that Roseman is power hungry, and that they are in cap hell stuck with Wentz who may or may not be still be unhappy or the texans  job where players are not happy with the process of hiring the GM and Watson wanting out with no early draft pick and no cap space these reasons should keep Daboll away and focus on being one in 2022 offseason. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I was glad to hear this last night but there are still 2 jobs left. Chargers team was the ideal choice and I hope Daboll is smart to not just chase any HC job and will wait for the right one. Dan Campbell is exxpected to be Lions, which leaves the Texans and Eagles. Why I think it is a bad idea to go there he may just want an opportunity. Hopefully him seeing the news that Roseman is power hungry, and that they are in cap hell stuck with Wentz who may or may not be still be unhappy or the texans  job where players are not happy with the process of hiring the GM and Watson wanting out with no early draft pick and no cap space these reasons should keep Daboll away and focus on being one in 2022 offseason. 

As of right now there has been no official request from either the Texans or Eagles to interview Daboll.

Edit: with the new rule the NFL put in for the week, that could change. Bienemy is interviewing today in Houston.

29 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

As of right now there has been no official request from either the Texans or Eagles to interview Daboll.

Edit: with the new rule the NFL put in for the week, that could change. Bienemy is interviewing today in Houston.

Yea Frazier interviewed with the texans yesterday.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Would certainly suck to lose him as he is apparently one of the favourites for the job, but I’m more confident in replacing him then I would be Daboll.

Well we have some great in house options plus McD overlooks it all where as we do not have any one overlooking Daboll and have to count on one of the positional coaches to step up so I am definitely happy it looks like he would be staying at least another year. Bills just need to get Hall or Dorsey more involved as certain teams like Niners had a run OC and passing OC. Wouldn't mind they creating an assistant OC to Daboll and have Daboll make that choice so he can bring them along next season if they haven't already

• Like 1