Is a lateral that hits the ground a fumble?

Quark3

It's relevant in situations like the last play of the Packers - Cowboys gamer where the Cowboys were trying to lateral their way down the field on the last kick return, because in the last two minutes, only a player who fumbles the ball can advance it.

So ... if a player X tries to lateral to player Y, and the ball hits the ground and bounces before Y gets it, is that still a 'lateral' that Y can advance, or a fumble that he can't?

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Lateral or backward pass can hit the ground and be picked up and advanced by the offense.

Under 2 minutes there's a rule that only the player that fumbles the ball on offense can advance a fumble. So the question is, when a lateral hits the ground, is it still a lateral or does it become a fumble? If it is a fumble it should be blown dead as only the fumbler can advance the ball.

My answer to the original question is Im not sure? Obviously we see these all the time so the NFL must view it simply as a lateral.

So many questions about that final play. Did Perry technically give himself up? That's gray area too. Glad none of it matters!

The relevant rule is Rule 8, section 7. It does make a distinction between a backwards pass (including one that hits the ground) and a fumble, though it does not specifically mention backward passes in the article on fumbles inside the 2 minute warning. I feel like I've seen lateral plays at the end of the game stay live after the ball hits the ground, but the rulebook also considers a snap a backwards pass, and I feel like I've seen botched snaps inside of 2 minutes called dead when recovered by someone other than the QB. Depending on who is considered to be the one who fumbled, the player on the receiving end might be able to advance the ball even if the backward pass is considered a fumble for the purposes of the 2 minute rule

This part of the rulebook is a little messy. Fumbles backward are fumbles, but fumbles forward are forward passes. The QB seems to be the one credited with the "fumble" on a botched snap and are able to advance it, but it seems silly to credit the player on the receiving end of a ball thrown backward across the field that lands on the ground with a fumble.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Need to watch this again, swore I heard whistles after an illegal fwd pass by Dallas. Refs blow those plays dead when an illegal fwd pass occurs.

There isn't any forward laterals or whistle after re-watching it on gamepass. The play was live when it went to Perry. Not sure what the call would've been, but props to CMIII, Lowry and Rollins for continuing to play when a lot of our guys were walking off the field.

Archived