WOWY: Alex Smith

e16bball

16 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So if I’m thinking correctly here, Alex Smith is 9-4 as a starter here. Thats just crazy. He’s horribly boring to watch but he manages to win games. 

Playing smart usually means you win more games than you lose. Playing wreckless means you usually lose more games than you win.

16 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

FTFY ;)

The offense scored 20 points in the second half & Alex and the passing game had no running game support this game. 

Last time I checked the defense scored no points for us yesterday.

At some point we have to give Alex Smith’s ball control style of play some credit. Not forcing things when they’re not there, getting the ball out of your hands quickly to RBs, TEs or WRs on shorter routes helps us control the ball, and win time of possession. If you win time of possession and don’t turn the ball over then you generally will win the game or be in the game in the 4th quarter.

Also with us controlling time of possession on offense it keeps the defense off the field and fresh which also helps the defense out.

So, that goes both ways.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The offense scored 20 points in the second half & Alex and the passing game had no running game support this game. 

Last time I checked the defense scored no points for us yesterday.

At some point we have to give Alex Smith’s ball control style of play some credit. Not forcing things when they’re not there, getting the ball out of your hands quickly to RBs, TEs or WRs on shorter routes helps us control the ball, and win time of possession. If you win time of possession and don’t turn the ball over then you generally will win the game or be in the game in the 4th quarter.

Also with us controlling time of possession on offense it keeps the defense off the field and fresh which also helps the defense out.

So, that goes both ways.

Last time I checked, the defense buckled down in the second half and forced the Steelers offense off the field so Alex Smith could efficiently drive down the field. 

I posted that before this game and let's face it, this offense is not built to put up massive amounts of points. We arent going to win a shootout, the defense had to play the way they did in the second half for us to have any chance to come back. 

Let's also not forget that we threw a WR screen to Cam Sims on 3rd and 14 from our 14, down 11, and it took a herculean effort to convert and give the team momentum to mount a comeback. If he hadn't converted that, we would have punted again and the likelihood the Steelers lead increased was very high. 

I am not trying to downplay the significance of Alex Smith to this team or our win streak, but our defense stepped up in a big way in the second half and both sides of the ball fed off of each other. 

All in all it was a great win and a good time to be a fan of this franchise. 

Edited by Slappy Mc
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Last time I checked, the defense buckled down in the second half and forced the Steelers offense off the field so Alex Smith could efficiently drive down the field. 

I posted that before this game and let's face it, this offense is not built to put up massive amounts of points. We arent going to win a shootout, the defense had to play the way they did in the second half for us to have any chance to come back. 

Let's also not forget that we threw a WR screen to Cam Sims on 3rd and 14 from our 14, down 11, and it took a herculean effort to convert and give the team momentum to mount a comeback. If he hadn't converted that, we would have punted again and the likelihood the Steelers lead increased was very high. 

I am not trying to downplay the significance of Alex Smith to this team or our win streak, but our defense stepped up in a big way in the second half and both sides of the ball fed off of each other. 

All in all it was a great win and a good time to be a fan of this franchise. 

20 points in a half is great. We do that every half - which we never will - and we’re scoring 40 ppg. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, defense didn’t score points - like sometimes D & special teams on returns can score TDs for teams.

I’m also not trying to downplay how great our D played - particularly in the second half but I am a bit tired of Alex not getting much credit. Since we acquired him there’s been a lot of “yeah but we won despite Alex Smith” when our D plays great or our running backs like Peterson in 2018 or Gibby this year play great, like Gibby vs Dallas & Cincy when it’s really the entire team played good to great including Alex.

People in this forum tend to not want to give Alex much credit or zero credit at all and his record speaks for itself. He’s the only difference in talent on the 2018 team and on this years team vs when the other QBs were starting and the results speak for themselves.

9-4 with Alex as our starter in 13 games

6-24 w/o Alex since 2018.

Those are jarring win/loss ratios that people can’t ignore even though it seems they want to ignore them and he’s doing it with the same talent as the other QBs have at their disposal. I still think if Alex didn’t get hurt in 2018 that we finish that season 10-6 or maybe even 11-5 and we win the division.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

20 points in a half is great. We do that every half - which we never will - and we’re scoring 40 ppg. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, defense didn’t score points - like sometimes D & special teams on returns can score TDs for teams.

I’m also not trying to downplay how great our D played - particularly in the second half but I am a bit tired of Alex not getting much credit. Since we acquired him there’s been a lot of “yeah but we won despite Alex Smith” when our D plays great or our running backs like Peterson in 2018 or Gibby this year play great, like Gibby vs Dallas & Cincy when it’s really the entire team played good to great including Alex.

People in this forum tend to not want to give Alex much credit or zero credit at all and his record speaks for itself. He’s the only difference in talent on the 2018 team and on this years team vs when the other QBs were starting and the results speak for themselves.

9-4 with Alex as our starter in 13 games

6-24 w/o Alex since 2018.

Those are jarring win/loss ratios that people can’t ignore even though it seems they want to ignore them and he’s doing it with the same talent as the other QBs have at their disposal. I still think if Alex didn’t get hurt in 2018 that we finish that season 10-6 or maybe even 11-5 and we win the division.

I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of us giving him credit. I don’t have to enjoy his style of play, which I don’t at all, but that doesn’t mean he’s not our best QB. He certainly fits this system much better then he did Grudens. I’ve said it before I think his style of play puts a cap on how far a team can go. The ultra conservative play is great when you aren’t playing an explosive offense but when you face one it makes it almost impossible to win unless your defense plays lights out. 

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of us giving him credit. I don’t have to enjoy his style of play, which I don’t at all, but that doesn’t mean he’s not our best QB. He certainly fits this system much better then he did Grudens. I’ve said it before I think his style of play puts a cap on how far a team can go. The ultra conservative play is great when you aren’t playing an explosive offense but when you face one it makes it almost impossible to win unless your defense plays lights out. 

I’m sorry but if you’ve ever given Alex Smith credit for anything except throwing to a RB or TE, I’ve missed it.

Edited by turtle28

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m sorry but if you’ve ever given Alex Smith credit for anything except throwing to a RB or TE, I’ve missed it.

Good god sometimes you’re insufferable. If you really think I’ve never given him credit then there’s no point to continue this conversation. 

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Good god sometimes you’re insufferable. If you really think I’ve never given him credit then there’s no point to continue this conversation. 

I’m only insufferable bc of how insufferable you are the other way with your negativity. That gets extremely annoying too especially in the GDT.

Edited by turtle28