Brady and BA

ravishingone

I do think this is a relevant topic to discuss.  This article outlines the philosophical difference of a 20 yr QB vet and 68 yr old HC.  We as Bucs fans, all too well know these differences.

One stat Lombardi brought up made me wince.  The Bucs are 30th overall in first down efficiency.

tenor.gif

Orlovsky stated the Chiefs ran play action pass 17 times, the Bucs 5.  Now, with Mahomes running an RPO, the defense has to at least respect the possibility of him pulling the  ball and running.

However, I would like to go back to Manning and Denver.  They ran RPO in shotgun with Peyton pulling the ball and throwing it.  Also, they ran pistol, which did not tip a defense which side of the line  a RB  would run and allow a play action pass.  

The Bucs offense is not known as innovative.  They are known for plays with the least chance of success, the pass over 20 yds.  Brady offers zero threat of breaking the pocket when Smith gets beat or no one is open.  It s just a reality.  Jameis ran for 250 yds last season. That s a lot of first downs off script.  My point is I think it is fair to question why the offense is still so vertical with a substancially more accurate passer with zero mobility.  

Edited by ravishingone

I think its fair to ask where the Arians coaching staff ranks amongst its peer.  I would think a coaching staff should be in the top 10 to have a real shot at winning a SB.  

In no particular order - Reid, Shanahan, McVay, Carroll, Payton (this one hurts), LaFleur (close one), Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh.  So there s 9, but recency bias really I should have Pedersen above Arians.  3 straight playoff appearances and SB winner with a back up QB.  

Either way, the Arians staff is barely in the top third , which is a concern.

Adjustments definitely need to be made

I think BA is a good coach but

1 he's letting Leftwich do too much 

2 he needs to cater more to TB12 bc imo you play to your players strengths and not make them try to be part of the offense you run ( and that's something I didn't think I'd have to doubt from as good a coach as I thought BA was/is)

If we learned anything from the chief's and rams games , we need to play more no huddle , alot more

Play action needs to be much more heavily utilized 

ALL THESE next 4 games are completely winnable,  go out there and let's execute 

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Adjustments definitely need to be made

I think BA is a good coach but

1 he's letting Leftwich do too much 

2 he needs to cater more to TB12 bc imo you play to your players strengths and not make them try to be part of the offense you run ( and that's something I didn't think I'd have to doubt from as good a coach as I thought BA was/is)

If we learned anything from the chief's and rams games , we need to play more no huddle , alot more

Play action needs to be much more heavily utilized 

ALL THESE next 4 games are completely winnable,  go out there and let's execute 

All HCs have egos.  I am worried BA mantra adjusting to a player s strength may be lip service.  Let s be honest, when Brady signed, no.excuse not to get a pass catching RB in FA.  Dion Lewis was still out there.  Lots of luv for Godwin, but BA hasn t had a NE type slot WR since he got here.  I do agree with Ledyard, this is an Arians system problem.

John Harbaugh won a SB with Flacco, and completely changed his scheme.  Now that is adaptability that BA hasn t come close to showing.  

• Like 1

This is the type of thing that brings on a lot of speculation. The conversation is legit, but we will probably never really know where exactly the disfunction is. 

Arians is a proven great coach, Brady, best QB of all time (just not in his prime). Leftwhich, let's go with "unproven". Is it Leftwhich not doing a good job of creating plays for Brady with Arians' offense? Is it just Arians' offense not being a good match for Brady in the first place? Is it just Brady having a bad year? There are plenty excuses for him to have a bad year. 

I don't think Brady is at fault at all, there's still clear and obvious lack of chemistry with the WRs and running backs. And I still would like to know what happened when he forgot it was 4th down. 

I mean, just looking at Arians bringing in Gronk and AB, tells me he is at least trying to appease Brady's wishes. You know damn well Arians wouldn't have brought in AB if Brady wasn't on the team. So why wouldn't he also be trying to do everything possible to appease him in the play calling? So I don't know if that goes against Brady or Arians.

58 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

This is the type of thing that brings on a lot of speculation. The conversation is legit, but we will probably never really know where exactly the disfunction is. 

Arians is a proven great coach, Brady, best QB of all time (just not in his prime). Leftwhich, let's go with "unproven". Is it Leftwhich not doing a good job of creating plays for Brady with Arians' offense? Is it just Arians' offense not being a good match for Brady in the first place? Is it just Brady having a bad year? There are plenty excuses for him to have a bad year. 

I don't think Brady is at fault at all, there's still clear and obvious lack of chemistry with the WRs and running backs. And I still would like to know what happened when he forgot it was 4th down. 

I mean, just looking at Arians bringing in Gronk and AB, tells me he is at least trying to appease Brady's wishes. You know damn well Arians wouldn't have brought in AB if Brady wasn't on the team. So why wouldn't he also be trying to do everything possible to appease him in the play calling? So I don't know if that goes against Brady or Arians.

People still forget that football had no training camp or pre-season. So many potentially great plays have been left on the table due to communication issues. We see it every week. 

Appeasing Brady by bringing in Gronk and AB is a weird concept. BA offenses hardly use the TE in the passing game, and AB is not in the game very often. 

16 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

People still forget that football had no training camp or pre-season. So many potentially great plays have been left on the table due to communication issues. We see it every week. 

Appeasing Brady by bringing in Gronk and AB is a weird concept. BA offenses hardly use the TE in the passing game, and AB is not in the game very often. 

Gronk is third on the team in targets and receptions. And he started the season barely getting any targets, during his whole "I'M A BLOCKING TIGHT END" joke rant. 

Gronk was reportedly a Brady trade. Like you said, BA doesn't use TEs. We paid Brate $6M to be a backup to our first round pick. We didn't need Gronk in BA's offense.

BA was open about wanting nothing to do with AB. Everything points to Brady wanting him too. Now he's here. BA backed up the signing by saying he's gone as soon as (or if) the courts determine his guilt in his off field stuff.

1 hour ago, Asciimo said:

Brady wanted them.

But also they were both brought in more for depth purposes. Remember the WRs were not staying healthy all year when they signed AB. And I'm sure Gronk wouldn't have taken the bigger TE role if OJ Howard were healthy.