Brady and BA

ravishingone

On 12/7/2020 at 9:34 PM, Steelyman said:

LB would be a poor choice, because what Brady needs are backs that can come out of the backfield and catch the ball. Brady and Dion Lewis were teammates 2015-17 and was a solid back with great hands out of the backfield. But as someone already pointed out, they don't seem to be part of BA's offense.

We don't have to draft a RB in the first round to find one that can catch the ball. We should be able to find one day two.

Yup....BA believes in exactly that very old failed concept...it didn't work 50 years ago, it didn't work yesterday and it won't work today. Effectively, BA showed up at the Kentucky Derby with a dead horse. I nominate BA for the Darwin Award.

IMO, running backs are a dime a dozen. They're all pretty good at exactly one thing....running. But there aren't a whole bunch who can catch the ball consistently. Dion Lewis is one of them and LeVeon Bell isn't.

Edited by Steelyman

On 12/7/2020 at 8:34 PM, Steelyman said:

LB would be a poor choice, because what Brady needs are backs that can come out of the backfield and catch the ball. Brady and Dion Lewis were teammates 2015-17 and was a solid back with great hands out of the backfield. But as someone already pointed out, they don't seem to be part of BA's offense.

Not sure if you've seen Lewis this year with the Giants, but he looks like a shell of what he was with the Pats, or even early on with Titans. He's not even seeing the field on 3rd downs now...

What we really need is TB's all-time favorite RB; James White, but that ain't happening. We need to draft one...

15 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not sure if you've seen Lewis this year with the Giants, but he looks like a shell of what he was with the Pats, or even early on with Titans. He's not even seeing the field on 3rd downs now...

What we really need is TB's all-time favorite RB; James White, but that ain't happening. We need to draft one...

So is the 3rd rd draft pick worse then Fournette?  Can that evaluation even be made in such a sample size?  He fumbled against the Bears.  However, if anyone watches the play there are not many players in the league who would have held on.

My frustration is dressing McCoy over Vaughn.  McCoy gets no snaps and does not play special teams.  The Vaughn situation reminds me of Rojo and Koetter in his rookie yr.  

49 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

So is the 3rd rd draft pick worse then Fournette?  Can that evaluation even be made in such a sample size?  He fumbled against the Bears.  However, if anyone watches the play there are not many players in the league who would have held on.

My frustration is dressing McCoy over Vaughn.  McCoy gets no snaps and does not play special teams.  The Vaughn situation reminds me of Rojo and Koetter in his rookie yr.  

Don't think so on LF, but that is my personal opinion. I've never been a fan of Fournette, as he's always been a 3 down plodder and one of the most inefficient RBs since he was drafted. I didn't get the signing at the time and still don't. 

Same with McCoy. If you're not going to utilize him at all, why is he still on the roster? I  mean he's a shade (no pun intended) of what he once was, but he was still able to catch the ball last year with KC, he just couldn't make people miss like he once did after he had the rock in his hands. can't be worse than what LF and RoJo have showed you in this aspect...

Vaughn is just an attrition right now unfortunately. We're in a playoff race and we have an old school coach, who'd rather have washed up guys in there because he trusts them more with pass protection (how's that working out?), than give the rookie a shot to take on a role. Just dumb...

Anyway, I think Vaughn is still in the cards moving forward, but not this year unfortunately. Still think we need to look at bringing in another RB in the draft. You can usually find mid to late round guys that have the ability to catch, but flawed in other areas....

I haven't paid much attention to Dion's status, but what you say makes sense. Other teams rarely use a players strengths to great effectiveness as Bill Belichick does. He sees things very differently. I'm sure he would have kept him if he wasn't a FA with a big money demand. He didn't fit that well with the Titans and now with the Giants schemes but IMO not cuz of Dion, but cuz they didn't/don't use him the right way. The Steelers released Mike Vrabel cuz he didn't fit in their defensive scheme...or he told his coaches they were all a$$holes and to go EFF themselves...can't remember which 😉😉. So Bill picked him up and the rest is history. If Mike doesn't fit in your scheme, you need another scheme. He was one of the best linebackers to play the game, who Bill used to great effectiveness on offense also....10 rushing and 2 receiving touchdowns. Of course, he's just one example. 

Brady will end up with around 30+ TDs and right now sitting at 11 INTs on the season.

As I reiterated last year, turnover differential is critical to success. You cannot go to the playoffs with a qb giving the ball away 30+ in a season. It has nothing to do with a “new system”. The GOAT is playing winning football which is frustrating at times but its consistent in results. Playoffs bound baby

Edited by indifference

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Tom Brady is throwing past the first down marker on 47.7% of his passes, the highest rate among starting quarterbacks. Brady was near the bottom of the league in throwing past the sticks last season.

Not a great fit for Arians offense because Tom Brady prefers short passes they said...

1 hour ago, indifference said:

Not a great fit for Arians offense because Tom Brady prefers short passes they said...

I don't believe he "prefers" short passes. Tom is used to having many offensive weapons available to him and AB's scheme limits offensive possibilities which makes a defenses job easier when they don't have to guess as much. AB's scheme isn't fooling anyone. On any given pass play, Tom doesn't usually have a slot rcvr or a back to check down to. 

1 hour ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

For being uncomfortable in this new system and being out of his element,  Brady is doing a hell of a job.

He's thrown for more TDs this year than he has since 2015. He's still adjusting. 

30/11 TD INT ratio is pretty sick. He’s literally crushing Winston in every important passing category.

27 minutes ago, Steelyman said:

I don't believe he "prefers" short passes. Tom is used to having many offensive weapons available to him and AB's scheme limits offensive possibilities which makes a defenses job easier when they don't have to guess as much. AB's scheme isn't fooling anyone. On any given pass play, Tom doesn't usually have a slot rcvr or a back to check down to. 

You mean BA scheme. AB is the wide receiver here. And we do have slot/check down options, unfortunately those options lead to picks and incomplete passes. Evans and Antonio Brown have been in those option roles and let Brady down a handful of times. The beauty of it all is that Brady is more involved with the offense more than any other qb BA has had. Guy is literally picking his plays and is still not afraid to hit the deep shot. Mike Evans was open on a dig route last week but went for 6 to Scottie Miller. Brady has proven he is not your “dink and dunk” qb that many believed he would be.

• Like 1