Week 13 GDT vs Chiefs

champ11

51 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree with so much of this. 

I do have to wonder, and in all of this I don’t like coming across as an apologist for Lock because I really do see his flaws, but I just don’t know what Shurmur and Shula are doing sometimes.

Shurmur has precisely the resume you want - lots of experience, exposure to different scheme and ways of doing things (including Andy Reid’s), worked his up through the ranks, coached a broad array of talent, etc. But here we are in December and the guy still isn’t coaching to his talent. And he has a legit offensive coaching supporting cast with one of the best OL coaches in the game and a QB Coach, who, like himself, has the resume you want, one that almost over-qualifies him to be a position coach. 

I don’t like to be cynical as the best route to a promotion is success but I’ve heard it said before, Shurmur and Shula seem to be coaching here in the way Mike McCoy did - coaching for their next job rather than in their current one. 

I live in NYG land over here in Eastern PA, so I have a lot of friends who are NYG fans. They've all said the same thing about Shurmur- the guy doesn't make a ton of adjustments, it's just a staple of his coaching philosophy. Sounds pretty much like what we've seen this season. I will say, I often wonder what the loss of Sutton truly did to Shurmur's offense in particular. Every team has injuries, so that's not an excuse, but Sutton was the most experienced and most talented WR, so we thrust a lot of rookies into situations where we knew there would be speed bumps.

In some way, I think that's also hampered Lock. Tim Patrick is the most experienced player he's throwing to. There's something to be said there. Again, it's a performance league, and injuries aren't an excuse, but I think it's worth considering with Shurmur's offense, Lock's performance, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

When bad players talk all their ****, I don’t know, it always makes me smile. Like Pat Bev. The lack of self-awareness is funny. 

But there is certainly something to be said about believing in yourself 100%, regardless of the situation. I remember the story in Moneyball (I think?), where mega-prospect Billy Beane is sitting next to lesser-regarded Lenny Dykstra when they learn they’re gonna be facing Tom Seaver. Beane starts obsessing about how he’ll get dominated by the future Hall of Famer, and Dykstra’s only response was something like, ‘well, I guess I’m gonna get to knock Tom Seaver.’

Some guys just have that clueless mentality of failure not being a possibility, and I think that’s Drew Lock. 

I'm with you here. I agree that Lock sort of lacks any kind of awareness, and I am sure he comes off as a huge tool to a lot of people, but ignorance is sometimes a strength. The difference between a guy like Paxton who got rattled immediately and never recovered. Lock may or may not be a successful player long term, but he has the confidence in himself that's necessary to succeed in the league. The decision making is what needs work. And again, I think Lock stinks this year, and is in danger of the chopping block, but I will take a guy 10/10 times with supreme confidence who needs work, than a mentally weak player who breaks down fundamentally at the first sign of adversity.

• Like 2

lock has the worst  QB rating in the league, worst completion percentage in the league, and probably worse pocket presence. Also has the worst completion percentage when facing the blitz and under pressure this year. 

I have Lomax level clips from yesterday of him having Jeudy wide open on his first read it was when he hit the chain gang, the other, he threw it to Fant in double coverage for 3 yards instead of 12-15 for Jeudy and a first. On the last play of the game, If you get a different camera view, the top 2 receivers on the screen were open. Honey Badger gets the pick. I see this time and time again with his INTs. When you make this many mistakes that are literally almost all the same, you need to learn from them and not say "well 9/10 times I'm always going to make that throw." Well, 9/10 chance you should sell your real estate in Denver buddy, because you're like helen keller trying to read shakespeare without brail. The vertical scheme doesn't help matters but jesus. 

As for Hamler, he's being misused like no other right now as an underneath option. He should be used like the vertical threat he could be. 

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

lock has the worst  QB rating in the league, worst completion percentage in the league, and probably worse pocket presence. Also has the worst completion percentage when facing the blitz and under pressure this year. 

I have Lomax level clips from yesterday of him having Jeudy wide open on his first read and one was when he hit the chain gang, the other, he threw it to Fant in double coverage. On the last play of the game, If you get a different camera view, the top 2 receivers on the screen were open. Honey Badger gets the pick. I see this time and time again with his INTs. When you make this many mistakes that are literally almost all the same, you need to learn from them and not say "well 9/10 times I'm always going to make that throw." Well, 9/10 chance you should sell your real estate in Denver buddy, because you're like helen keller trying to read shakespeare without brail. The vertical scheme doesn't help matters but jesus. 

As for Hamler, he's being misused like no other right now as an underneath option. He should be used like the vertical threat he could be. 

There's also a problem with how they're using Lindsay. Apparently we're telegraphing the plays with formations/personnel thats been noticed by DC's and they're ready for it. Teams are starting to key on him big time.

Maybe thats something @lomaxgrUKcould look at. I'm curious how many plays he's on the field versus number of touches. I'm guessing it's a really high %. He's not much in pass pro and I don't see him used often as a decoy.

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I have so much time for KJ Hamler, you guys. I didn’t love the pick, but that kid is an absolute dog. I wish we were running bubble screens and motioning him pre-snap so much more. Find some mismatches for him, cause dang he’s explosive. 

10 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I have so much time for KJ Hamler, you guys. I didn’t love the pick, but that kid is an absolute dog. I wish we were running bubble screens and motioning him pre-snap so much more. Find some mismatches for him, cause dang he’s explosive. 

One of my favorite players in the draft.  I was pumped when Denver selected him.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

While some will say "he's just having fun approach" I've personally not liked Lock for a lot of these antics. His dancing around and that dumb Buzz Lightyear thing he does. Comes off childish when you play QB and don't play it very well at times. Bringing unnecessary attention to yourself is not something I like in a QB personally. And yeah, tells me all I need to know about the player

Agreed.  When you’re winning you can get away with it.  When you’re arguably the worst starter in the NFL....maybe it’s time to put the show on hold for awhile.

I know it’s been argued that it’s just his confidence, but I don’t think any of us are in a place to know that definitively.  

He’s walking the line of just being over confident and just being an idiot.

I lean idiot.

Throw in his mom coming to his aid on Twitter.  They’re 🥜.

Get this dog and pony show out of town. 

Edited by germ-x

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Pretty much spot on.  And that's just in a vacuum, doesn't even account for the fact you're punting to Mahomes, who's gashed DEN up and down the field between the 20's all game long.  No words.

TERRIBLE decision to punt, but to be fair with the context, Vic also had to ask the worst starting QB in the league to convert it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

TERRIBLE decision to punt, but to be fair with the context, Vic also had to ask the worst starting QB in the league to convert it. 

I don't think the context helps Vic at all. It's 3 yards. Do or die. If you don't trust your QB, do a jet sweep with Hamler, a bootleg, or toss to Lindsay. If it were 4th & 10+ I would agree with you.

10 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Doesn't matter. KC couldn't convert in the redzone all game. We could've won the game still we score a TD and they just got a FG.

KC were averaging 7 plays per drive. Fangio was throwing in the towel. Shameful really. Fox was fired for stuff like that, and he had PFM.

Edited by Joe_is_the_best

Fangio was not throwing in the towel.  It may not have been the right call, but Fangio was playing to win and he banked on his defense being better than his QB.

That is 100% what happened and that should be what’s discussed more than the decision.  The fact that there wasn’t a belief in this offense (more importantly the QB) to pick up 3 yards.  They’d rather put the ball in the hands of the best player in football and try to stop him.

Fangio wasn’t wrong.  As much as people want to fight that, he wasn’t.  

• Like 1