My Retirement Mock

rickyt31

This will be my last mock for good. I plan to cut down my time I spend online to focus more on mental health and my career. I'll still pop in, but I won't be making any mocks. 

With this, I tried to combine some things I would like to see along with what I think will happen. Even with the crazy things going on with this franchise,

I feel really good about the future of this franchise. The coaching options, free agency, and draft class is set up perfectly for us to turn things around. 

COACHING 

Why Jets-Jim Harbaugh head coaching marriage is unlikely - New York Daily  NewsJIM HARBAUGH - HC 

Most of you know I've been on this wagon for a while, but I'd be happy with a lot of options. Once when the Chargers fire Lynn, I   think they'll pull Arthur Smith because who is already on the roster. As much I like Eric B's potential, I'm not sure if we're in position to take a shot at him. Texans will probably land Eric B or Joe Brady. Although this season in Michigan has been terrible, he has an amazing overall coaching record  In the NFL and college. Because of the type of team JH won with in San Fran, I think it fits what JD would like to build. 

GREG ROMAN - OC -

Shocking, but if things don't workout this season, they will probably let him go. He coached under JH in SF but the biggest plus for him is that he has experience coaching young QBs who came from first read/quick release offenses (LJ & Kaep). I can see that being helpful with Lawrence at least there. 

JERRY OLSAVSKY - DC

Currently the Steelers inside LB coach but has a solid track record getting good performances from his ILBs. He keeps the 3-4 and brings the physical defense of style JH had in San Fran and the what JD scouted for in Baltimore. 

RESIGN 

Jets-Dolphins Game Preview: Marcus Maye Prepares for Potential Life Without  Jamal Adams

MARCUS MAYE - FS

New York Jets' Brian Poole seeking milestone football that was plucked from  his hands | Fox NewsBRIAN POOLE - CB

NY Jets: LB Neville Hewitt has returned to the team in free agencyNEVILLE HEWITT - ILB

PAT ELFEIN - OG 

NOTE: We can't keep creating holes that we will have to replace. After this ugly start, I can see Maye wanting to go somewhere else, but we also have the money and can change the energy with the right coaching hire. Hewitt starts next to Mosely next season. Elfein does well enough to at least be brought back for competition. 

FREE AGENTS 

Fantasy Football: Lions' Kenny Golladay could have huge Week 1 | NBC SportsKENNY GALLODAY – WR 

We have to get our new QB a WR defenses really have to plan for. Takes pressure off Mims and opens things for Crowder. KG is experienced in being the guy that draws the #1 CB from defenses. Mims, Crowder, and KG as starters. Will definitely cost but is well worth it. We can't go into next season with the bare minimum at WR. 

Baltimore Ravens trading OLB Matthew Judon would be a good moveMATT JUDON – EDGE/OLB

He's not doing great this season, but is still an upgrade as well as a sure starter. He fills a hole on defense we can get for a great deal. On top of that, this draft class' depth in edge rushers are amazing. Great fit for both sides.

Brandon Scherff, Shawn Lauvao, Paul Richardson Jr. Out for Season with  Injuries | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and HighlightsBRANDON SCHERFF -  RG

I would like Thuney, but I don't think we're going to land everyone we want just because we have the money. Maybe slips to  Jax. Scherff is good, but it always hurt. After what Danold is going to do to us, JD will do what ever he can to improve the IOL.  We sign him to a short deal and game plan who to develop behind at some point. Still an upgrade on the field and great stop gap to at least make things easier for our QB. We can only run on our left side behind Becton right now. We have to fix that. 

Tyrod Taylor Says Chargers Will 'Turn a Lot of Heads' If He's Starting QB |  Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and HighlightsTYROD TAYLOR – QB

Taylor becomes a FA after a crazy situation on LA. He becomes insurance and a great vet to learn from. Taylor was drafted by the Ravens while JD was there. Also was coached by Greg Roman in Buffalo.  

Fantasy Football: Chris Carson Still Seahawks' Lead Back After Carlos Hyde  Signing - Sports IllustratedCHRISTOPHER CARSON - RB 

I could see Seattle resigning him but they also will be in position to upgrade the position. Not really a big name but is pretty good. Perrine is the only RB we know will be back. Not sure when we'll be draft a RB, we jump on him. He comes in as a day 1 starter we know that can contribute early and upgrade the position. 

Film Room: Could Mo Alie-Cox be a great blocking tight end? - Stampede BlueMO ALIE-COX – TE

Colts have a lot of cap space, but they also have other needs. They have two other TEs who are also contributing. The offers MAC will get from others will probably shy the Colts away from resigning. Former basketball athlete who will be the starter day 1.

Ravens MVP of the week: Jimmy Smith - Baltimore BeatdownJIMMY SMITH – CB 

He's older now, but still had a great 2019. The Ravens also have 2 other great CBs on the roster. He comes in as a vet who can still contribute on the field as well as be an example for someone like Bryce Hall and other DBs to follow. He was also drafted by the Ravens when JD was a scout. He's not going to perform at a pro-bowl level, but what he brings for the rest of the DBs will be important. 

NOTE: Feels like a big free agency, but it's just a lot of small and medium contracts outside of the KG signing. We cover more holes on the roster with guys who can at least start if needed as well as help others in the locker room. Also will keep us in a good cap position over the next two years. 

2021 NFL DRAFT 

TRADE:  DARNOLD + 5TH -> <- BUCCS 2ND

Buccs may not be in position to get the QB they want in the draft to replace Brady. Buccs don't have  a lot of picks to trade up and Darnold's trade value has taken a hit. JD pairs our late 5th with Darnold to get the Buccs pick. Arians will try to turn him around as well as draft someone to compete against him. They get a young QB without losing their total number of picks. DRAFT DAY TRADE. 

NCAA Says It Didn't Halt Trevor Lawrence, Marissa Mowry's COVID-19  Fundraiser | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights1 TREVOR LAWRENCE – QB 
6’6 220LBS

Duh. 

Tennessee Vols: Trey Smith makes great point about college football being  pushed back1 TREY SMITH – LG
6’6 330LBS

As I mentioned before, I believe JD will focus heavy on the IOL to protect Lawrence. I questioned if he would be at our pick, but a lot of OG's don't get early in the draft. Wyatt will likely go ahead of him and forces Smith to slide back. Now we have Smith & Becton to build around. 

UGASports - The Daily Recap: Trey Hill to keep playing center and guard2 TREY HILL – C 
6’4 330LBS

One of the surprises here, but there is a lot of competition at C right now. McGovern doesn't seem to be the answer but I don't see us signing another FA to replace the position. Hill sliding gives us a guy that will replace McGovern eventually. Hard to judge who will be BPA out of our needs, but JD probably jumps on this. Not early, but eventually we will have Hill, Smith, and Becton protecting Lawrence. 

Why UNC running back Javonte Williams almost quit football | Raleigh News &  Observer2 JAVONTE WILLIAMS – RB
5’10 220LBS

Honestly, he's my favorite RB in this draft. One of the highest graded RBs in the nation who would have better stats if he didn't have to share the ball. Go watch his take. He can be a Thomas Jones and very explosive. Him and Carson becomes a great 1-2 punch early. 

PFF: Pass rush or coverage? The UC Bearcats defense can do both3 MYJAI SANDERS – EDGE/OLB 
6’5 260LBS

I've seen his name come up a few times, but I never got to him because of how deep this class is. His tape is so much fun to watch. Might be my new favorite 34 OLB in this class. Because he doesn't have a lot of sacks and there is a lot of depth in this class, I can see him sliding. He comes in and shocks people early. Eventually competes against JZ and slowly earns his starting spot. His style reminds me of Aldon Smith. 

Cal Football: If a Fall Season is Reinstated, Could Bears Lure Camryn Bynum  Back?3 CAMRYN BYNUM – CB
6’0 200LBS

Well graded on PFF and plays the pass and run. He's a complete prospect but isn't highly ranked right now. I don't expect a eye popping 40time, but it's going to be good enough. Him, Smith, and Hall on the outside until it's time for Hall & Bynum to take over. 

TRADE: JETS TRADE 4TH -> <- TEXANS FOR 4TH + 6TH (MIA)

Texans don't have any early picks and don't have the cap space to take advantage in Free Agency. So they have to hit on quality and find potential starters to help Watson. They move up to get the best player they can on offense. We gain another late pick JD would like. 

Cincinnati Bearcats Football Season in Review: Darrick Forrest - Down The  Drive4 DARRICK FORREST – S
6’0 200LBS

Great tackling safety who also did well in coverage before getting hurt. This is BPA move that allows us to eventually go with Maye & Forrest or Forrest & Davis(if we don't resign Maye). He gets time to recover and adapt to the game. Does well on special teams and then competes at SS.  

Cornell Powell on transfer thoughts: "Nothing easy is worth having" |  TigerNet5 CORNELL POWELL – WR
 6’0 210LBS

Very underrated player. Explosive and when targeted, he will make plays. Didn't start early in his career because of the crazy depth they had. Just look at how different his starts are now that he's being targeted more. He's great to have behind Crowder, special teams, and with T-Law. Great person on and off the field. 

Nick Eubanks - Football - University of Michigan Athletics6 NICK EUBANKS – TE 
6’5 256LBS

Added for competition behind MAC but has his connection with JH. 

Evan McPherson - Football - Florida Gators7 EVAN MCPHERSON – K  
5’9 180LBS
Now we have our Kicker & Punter combo to ride with for years. 

OFFENSE

The line has a few long term answers with Hill, Smith, and Becton. Gives us a chance to move on from GVR & McGovern. Fant isn't great, but he goes back into next season as a starter. Elfien plays behind Scherff and Smith. Oline has been upgraded in pass protection and very physical in rushing attacks. WR core now has Galloday, Mims, and Crowder. MAC starting at TE providing a instant upgrade and someone T-Law can have for years. Carson & Williams come in as a great 1-2 punch that defenses will struggle with. Great surrounding for T-Law and will have a coached experienced with helping young QBs transition out of the quick read offense he had in college. 

DEFENSE

Franklin-Myers, Williams, and Fatukasi anchor the defense. The battles with Hewitt, Cashman, Mosley, Judon, Zuniga, and Sanders would be a fun one to watch. J.O gets the best out of this group. I am concerned about Mosley's return, but I think we have enough depth to go without him if he struggles. Jimmy Smith helps the secondary and pushes our young group who will battle to impress the new coaches. Maye returns as the leader in the secondary along side the winner of the Davis and Forrest battle. Defense is upgraded without over spending. 

SPECIAL TEAMS

Mann, McPherson, and possibly Powell winning the return job. 

Edited by rickyt31
  • Like 2

Good luck with your mental health. Technology has taking a toll on humanity.

I really like this mock. Golladay adds a top WR and brings more toughness to this team. I find it hard to believe the Lions won’t do everything they can to resign him though.

In this scenario, we’d have a badass OL. Becton and Smith are tough dudes. It would be fun watching them toss guys around. Our offense in general would just be tossing guys around.

• Like 2

God Luck with everything. Your insightful posts will be missed.

As for your FA’s I think Judon will want north of $20M which may be too rich for JD. Dupree may be the same. I would love one of them, though. But I can see Patrick Jones as a draft target with our late first second rd pick. Cox at TE is a big yuck for me. I have him on one of my dynasty teams and I will be getting rid of him after the season. It’s a personal thing with me. He would help upgrade the blocking but as a receiver, not so much. There may be better FA options.

As for the draft, double dipping at iOL would make me smile, but I doubt it would happen with our late 1 early 2. Pick one of them and an OL with Sherff, Becton, Fant, rookie, and Elflein may be pretty good.  I would rather see EDGE, CB, or WR selected high in the draft. The rest of the draft I like.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Good luck with your mental health. Technology has taking a toll on humanity.

I really like this mock. Golladay adds a top WR and brings more toughness to this team. I find it hard to believe the Lions won’t do everything they can to resign him though.

In this scenario, we’d have a badass OL. Becton and Smith are tough dudes. It would be fun watching them toss guys around. Our offense in general would just be tossing guys around.

Thank you. 

I was on the fence about this one, but with their low cap space and how much he would pull from the market, I could also see him walking. 

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

God Luck with everything. Your insightful posts will be missed.

As for your FA’s I think Judon will want north of $20M which may be too rich for JD. Dupree may be the same. I would love one of them, though. But I can see Patrick Jones as a draft target with our late first second rd pick. Cox at TE is a big yuck for me. I have him on one of my dynasty teams and I will be getting rid of him after the season. It’s a personal thing with me. He would help upgrade the blocking but as a receiver, not so much. There may be better FA options.

As for the draft, double dipping at iOL would make me smile, but I doubt it would happen with our late 1 early 2. Pick one of them and an OL with Sherff, Becton, Fant, rookie, and Elflein may be pretty good.  I would rather see EDGE, CB, or WR selected high in the draft. The rest of the draft I like.

Thank you. 

I honestly can't see Judon getting anything close to that. He's never had 10 sacks and is almost 30. 

I really like Patrick Jones, but I had a hard time placing him. Most mocks have him going into the 2nd, but that's really tough to imagine. I'd love for us to get him. 

The TE position was tough, but I'm not impressed with this draft class and I'm not sure who could come in right away to help Darnold early. Mac seems like a solid pick up for us. 

I love great defenses, so I'm definitely not against going that route. I just think if Hill is there with our IOL struggles, it would be tough to pass up. Especially knowing we have to protect Lawrence.

My mock has some of the same as this. I won't be doing mine until after this week since I've been doing them every 4 games. So it will be my last mock until the end of the season and we 100% know where we will be drafting then.

Overall I like it. I like the positions addressed and all. And I think it gives us a legit offense finally, while still helping out the defense. Overall a good job

Regrading your mental health. Stay positive my man. Life is only what you make of it. So do what makes you happy. The more things that you do that make you happy. The easier and simpler life is.

• Like 1

I like it Rick, good job you cover all the our needs. We will miss you. The only thing  is when you do your next screen play for Hallmark, movies is there any chance  you can write some brief nudity into those Christmas movies, they need more help than the Jets.

• Like 2

Great mock as always. Love the direction and moves you made and as usual done in a really engaging way. 

On a side note I know I can speak for a lot of the old time posters that we’ve all made a real bond through the disastrous team choice we all made and sometimes speaking to people not in your close circle of friends and family can help. Here for you anytime bro ❤️🏼

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Great mock. Sign me up. Good luck with everything man. I hope you keep coming back when everything gets better. 

Thanks dude. I'll definitely pop in especially when something happens. lol We all basically grew up together on here venting about the Jets. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

My mock has some of the same as this. I won't be doing mine until after this week since I've been doing them every 4 games. So it will be my last mock until the end of the season and we 100% know where we will be drafting then.

Overall I like it. I like the positions addressed and all. And I think it gives us a legit offense finally, while still helping out the defense. Overall a good job

Regrading your mental health. Stay positive my man. Life is only what you make of it. So do what makes you happy. The more things that you do that make you happy. The easier and simpler life is.

I was considering waiting until the combine, but I wanted to get this out the way to see what people thought. 

Thanks dude. I wanted to boost both sides because I don't think anyone will be able to win the AFC in a couple years without a good defense. I tried to focus on the BPA out of our needs while considering the depth in the other positions. This is by far the best class I've ever seen when it comes to 34 Edge & OLBs. So I could see us waiting, but also the depth at OG looks great as well. This class is incredible in the positions we need. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I like it Rick, good job you cover all the our needs. We will miss you. The only thing  is when you do your next screen play for Hallmark, movies is there any chance  you can write some brief nudity into those Christmas movies, they need more help than the Jets.

lol I got you. I'll make sure Santa gets naked for you all. Joking. Thanks dude.