Week 13 GDT - Buffalo Bills at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

So I guess we can stop the T.Moore train or does he get a pass since the def as a whole was sub par?

I gave us a small chance of winning this game but again its pisses me off that at 100%, we have a REAL chance of winning this game along with us probably having a better overall record.

Not gonna lie, it was quite depressing watching Josh Allen just go out there and make plays. Can we get a FRANCHISE QB please...

41 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So I guess we can stop the T.Moore train or does he get a pass since the def as a whole was sub par?

I gave us a small chance of winning this game but again its pisses me off that at 100%, we have a REAL chance of winning this game along with us probably having a better overall record.

Not gonna lie, it was quite depressing watching Josh Allen just go out there and make plays. Can we get a FRANCHISE QB please...

Why? He has his flaws but everyone was bad last night. Let him play and then judge him after the season. This was the first game where he started where a team really had any big plays over the top. A lot of miscommunication going on and just Allen being great. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I mean I SEE the potential. But he's just awful against the run. Like coming downhill and attacking ball carriers is a challenge for him. And that's a very important part of being a safety.

I just don't understand why we didn't run more 3 safties packages with him, Ward and Tartt on the field. You could do alot with those three on the field with Warner and Greenlaw. Hard to take K'Wuan off the field but I would have liked to have seen it some. Especially when Kwuan got hurt. I feel Saleh wasted some opportunities there.

Ultimately as it stands, I don't trust him to be the lone starter right now. He has 4 games lett to change my mind. 

Edited by 757-NINER

Moore has only started a handful of games and spent a season developing at a different position. I don't think we can make any sort of judgments on him either way. Some of his mistakes are ones you'd rather not see, but very easy to understand because they are the type of mistakes that inexperienced players make (such as mucking up an assignment on a particular coverage). His tackling / run game support will likely never be a strong suit, but that doesn't necessarily kills a chance at being a player. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

Moore has only started a handful of games and spent a season developing at a different position. I don't think we can make any sort of judgments on him either way. Some of his mistakes are ones you'd rather not see, but very easy to understand because they are the type of mistakes that inexperienced players make (such as mucking up an assignment on a particular coverage). His tackling / run game support will likely never be a strong suit, but that doesn't necessarily kills a chance at being a player. 

I have a pet peeve with safties who struggle against the run and in general, have problems tackling in the open field. In today's world of RPO-based offenses and having defenses spread out to specifically attack your DBs in quarrel, you HAVE to be able to tackle in space and not be a liability against the run. So his ability against the run and as a tackler in general will always be a sticking point for me. I don't expect everyone to feel that way but for me, I just feel like any OC worth a damn will always make it a point to put him in scenarios where he has do those things consistently.

His range is great and I don't worry about the missed assignments...those can be corrected with more reps. But my concern with him against the run is why I initially had him slotted@CB as a prospect. He's definitely found his groove@safety and I can live with that.

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean I SEE the potential. But he's just awful against the run. Like coming downhill and attacking ball carriers is a challenge for him. And that's a very important part of being a safety.

@J-ALL-DAY pointed out previously that he got flat footed sometimes in the open field and that was causing some of the tackling issues

I also think the tackling is why we put in harris over him earlier in the year. Tackling is a prerequisite for us here, everyone on our defense are good tacklers. When moore got his first action earlier in the year, you could tell he was jacked up and was looking to hit people. So I dont think its a lack of toughness or anything like that, which means it may be correctable. 

The defensive miscommunications are certainly something to keep an eye on. Its crazy the drop off we always have when its not tartt and ward on the field together. Its not just with moore, its with the entire secondary going back to Saleh's first year here. I will be monitoring this closely because I believe its up to the coaches to get these guys ready to play. Its a partnership in that regard so its not always 100% on one guy or the other, but if we dont see improvement here, then I believe it will fall on coaching moreso than just one guy doing a bad job, mainly because we have seen this story before.

I think these types of issues can be smoothed out with experience. Moore will never be a box S, but he has the potential to be a good FS in this league. It can hamstring us in a way because you want both guys to be able to do everything, but ward can line up literally anywhere so I feel pretty good about those two being our safeties next year. We have no depth in that spot, so I would absolutely be looking to draft another safety (or two) but moore is a young player and I expected some growing pains but I do think he is a guy we can continue to work with and help him grow into a starting level FS for us. 

12 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Well, at least Aiyuk Kinlaw & Woerner looked good. 

I guess McVitz didn't play? Seemed like Tom Compton was the one who got the start at RG

I think they rotated some or Compton got banged up at one point. I definitely saw McKivitiz in the game at one point.

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think they rotated some or Compton got banged up at one point. I definitely saw McKivitiz in the game at one point.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

They rotated. He played almost half the snaps. 

I see. Did he at least look OK? 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If you didn't notice him, I think he was largely fine :P

I honestly can't remember any instances where he was awful...but I did miss a chunk of the game in the third quarter. 

Nice to see the rookie class holding its own. If we're able to get 3 quality starters (McVitz, Aiyuk, Kinlaw) & backups (Hasty, Woerner, Daniels) than this'll be a solid draft 

The offense is what it is, it won't get to full strength until week 16 when Jimmy G & Kittle come back. You need the defense (& special teams) to play well to have any chance. They played very well against the Saints & Rams, but the Seahawks, Packers & Bills had their way with them.