Will the Houston Texans ever win a AFC championship and a Super Bowl with J.J. Watt?

Championshiporbust

He is basically the core of the Texans franchise. Since Watt was drafted by the Texans in 2011, they won:

4 AFC South Championships (2011, 2012, 2015, 2016)

He's injured now after the Week 5 NFL 2017 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20968988/jj-watt-houston-texans-miss-remainder-2017-season-suffering-tibial-plateau-fracture

Will the Texans win a AFC championship or a Super Bowl under Watt?

Possibly.  If Brady retires then the AFC is wide open.  Chiefs looks strong right now but after them it's a crap shoot. 

JJ Watt probably won't be the #1 or even #4 reason why they win but if he comes back, I can see the Texans as one of the teams in the mix.  Will have to be aggressive in FA and hit in the draft, but that can be said for a lot of teams...

I thought Watt/Clowney was going to be the NFL equivalent of Durant/Curry. Really sucks we'll probably never see that come to fruition. At some point they'll probably have to choose Clowney over Watt but I think until then Watson is awesome and the offense will only get better and the defense will be pretty legit at full health. So I think there's still a decent chance 

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Agreed.

Think they missed that window. 

I actually think their window is opening next year. They have a young exciting QB coupled with good young wideouts and a solid front 7. Brady isn't getting any younger, Ben is gone after this year, Alex Smith is gone next year for the Chiefs too, so there will not be any dominating power in the AFC in the next few years (maybe the Raiders or Colts can become that but they're pretty far for that right now).

A leg injury is bad, but Watt will recover from it. The back issues are more problematic long-term, but at least he gets another year to rest it.

20 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I actually think their window is opening next year. They have a young exciting QB coupled with good young wideouts and a solid front 7. Brady isn't getting any younger, Ben is gone after this year, Alex Smith is gone next year for the Chiefs too, so there will not be any dominating power in the AFC in the next few years (maybe the Raiders or Colts can become that but they're pretty far for that right now).

A leg injury is bad, but Watt will recover from it. The back issues are more problematic long-term, but at least he gets another year to rest it.

They had several years where the division just stunk and they had arguably the best defense in football with a few weapons on offense but failed consistently to get even mediocre QB play.

With the Jaguars on the up and up (won't be a legit contender until QB play is much improved), and the Titans as a team that can win 9-10+ games, etc. I definitely think their chances are lower. They don't have a bunch of teams to beat up on in the division and walk into the playoffs with ease. Watson hasn't played nearly enough to assume he can be a franchise/lead the team into the playoffs. Defensively they are just getting worse and worse, especially with Watt likely never being what he once was.

I'm going to say no, they won't. Combination of factors really. I'm not sure how good the team is overall right now even with him there, and without first and second round picks next year, they're really going to have to count on free agents to come in and fill holes that they have. So there's that. Two, I don't know how good he's going to be moving forward, and with that contract, there will come a judgment day on what you do with him. He counts 15 / 15 / 15.5 and 17.5 million, with minimal dead money left (6 next year, 2 the year after, and then 0), and if he comes back and isn't quite the same, I can see a point as soon as 2019 where the Texans decide thats it. Say he gets hurt again next year - do you continue to move along with third straight seasons of serious injury? What if he comes back and he's just not that great? I only watched him twice this year, and yeah, he was pretty good, but I wasn't seeing the JJ I was used to from 2 and 3 years ago. He wasn't jumping out a ton to me. I think that right now, I'm only counting on him being around for next season, and as of this writing (obviously an entire off season to go through), I just don't know that they are going to be a favorite in their own division, much less the AFC. 

Archived