New Year: Vegan/Vegetarian

TOUCAN

Salt and meat are not issues!! Himalayan sea salt is great and needs to be in everyone's diet.  It's the frankenstein foods that have sodium that need to be avoided.

If you want to improve heart health then get extensive blood work to actually find out the problem.

Starting your morning with fruit smoothies is NOT ideal.  The morning needs to start with high protein and high fat, not high sugar.  I saw someone mention Soy Milk! This is not healthy guys.  

Also you need to manage stress and most importantly you need good sleep. Lifestyle is just as important as nutrition.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

So far he's only said he wants to lose weight incase of a transplant.

If he has blood work then it's easier to tackle the issues head on instead of just guessing.

Josh has told a good many here about his specific heart related issues. If you don’t think green smoothies are healthy, then I question your knowledge of nutrition.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Josh has told a good many here about his specific heart related issues. If you don’t think green smoothies are healthy, then I question your knowledge of nutrition.

I said starting your morning with fruit smoothies is not ideal.  Fruit smoothies are different from green smoothies.  And you should not be starting your morning with a sugary drink with soy milk, especially with health issues!

11 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I said starting your morning with fruit smoothies is not ideal.  Fruit smoothies are different from green smoothies.  And you should not be starting your morning with a sugary drink with soy milk, especially with health issues!

Yeah, going high fat high salt is definitely the healthy way to go.

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, going high fat high salt is definitely the healthy way to go.

High fat breakfast....eggs, avocado, meat, nuts, grass fed butter, etc.  Not saying high fat overall.

Himalayan sea salt is way different than table salt.

Doctors and mainstream media do not go to school for nutrition.  Just sharing what I've learned over the years studying functional nutrition but obviously the average person on a football forum knows what's best.

• Like 1

The OP goes from wanting a BGE to going vegetarian or vegan...........

I have a hard enough time when I have to go meatless on Fridays during Lent.  My typical lunches while at work consisted of some of the following- pizza, salad, shrimp (from Panda Express), fried rice, vegetarian soup from a place like Panera, grilled cheese.  I don't like eggs and a lot of seafoods, so this is really tough for me.  The "simple suppers" at church were huge for me to be able to be somewhat healthy during these days  It would always include a soup, and some other things like meatless pasta, vegetarian pierogis, some kinds of sandwiches, etc.  For breakfast, that was somewhat easier, but without eating eggs, it is a lot of carbs for me.  I would do fruit, oatmeal and either toast/hashbrowns, pancakes or french toast.  I didn't do big breakfasts in 2020 though, because I was off work during that time. 

As someone else said, intermittent fasting will help.  I've lost 120 pounds since March watching what I've been eating, doing a modified intermittent fasting (only doing the fasting on days where i don't work, or have a short day), and getting in exercise each day.  I also cut out just about every drink except water and milk/OJ (with breakfast.). 

EDIT: @JoshstraDaymus Not trying to make fun with the beginning part, just wanted to make sure that you know that.  I took a look at the Egghead forum with a quick Google search, and I imagine that there are some newer threads as well, if you finally got the BGE for yourself.  I have a friend of mine who swears on the pizza on the BGE, and the eggplant ideas from this thread could go really well on it as well

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1112662/vegetarian-recipes

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes exactly what I said.  Doctors don't know crap about nutrition.  And nutrition plays a huge role in heart health.

This is too true.  My dad was a high school football coach, so from August through December, he had a horrible diet.  He was overweight when I was born, but I don't really remember him as that because he started working out and going to the gym more than he was.  I remember him getting down to 200, and as someone who is 6'2, he was pretty well-built.  In 2004, my stepmom noticed he could barely get up the ramp at Fed Ex Field- she was at the top and he hadn't even rounded the last corner.  He went to the doctor the next day, and a week later had six bypasses- if he had waited a few more months, a massive heart attack was likely to happen.  Genetics might have been at play, but the years of that coaches diet, despite all the work he put into the gym and running, cost him dearly.  

The other hard part about some of these changes are things happening all at once, or making so many drastic changes.  It is better to make them one at a time rather than all at the same time......although for the OP, they are on the clock for something similar so they might not have time.  If I didn't have the 8 weeks off I did, I might not have made the habit changes that I did earlier this year.  And I am not perfect by any means, but I definitely cut out a lot of the junk and empty calories.  

8 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

High fat breakfast....eggs, avocado, meat, nuts, grass fed butter, etc.  Not saying high fat overall.

Himalayan sea salt is way different than table salt.

Doctors and mainstream media do not go to school for nutrition.  Just sharing what I've learned over the years studying functional nutrition but obviously the average person on a football forum knows what's best.

So, did you go to school for nutrition?

15 minutes ago, SwAg said:

So, did you go to school for nutrition?

Yes and have done internships/courses with experts in the field and functional medicine doctors.

A heart transplant is a serious topic, I'm not trying to flair my chest out and prove who's right or wrong.  I'm genuinely concerned with the direction he's going in (vegan/vegetarian) and some of the advice that is being given.