New Year: Vegan/Vegetarian

TOUCAN

On 12/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, JoshstraDaymus said:

Hi guys!

So we are less than a month from the start of the new year. This always brings a change. Here’s what I’m doing.

My wife and my family don’t think I will last long at this, but I’m challenging myself to go vegetarian (maybe vegan) for the beginning of 2021. I’m HOPING to do this through the first quarter.

One big problem: I hate vegetables. I especially don’t like them cooked but there are many that I will eat raw.

What I need is your vegan/vegetarian recipes and meal ideas. I will update this challenge daily. I’m also hopeful this helps me lose some weight in case I need to get a heart transplant.

Please post some suggestions, and help! Maybe even ideas for if I go out to eat at some chain restaurants or if I order food.

Help me prove them wrong.

i love acorn squash, and you can cook them in the microwave and have dinner done in under 15 minutes.

Squash is severely under-rated. 

Spaghetti squash is a great vegan alternative to pasta. I love it with pesto.

Cube butternut squash, toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and gochgaru. Roast until starting to caramelize. Game changer.

Cut acorn squash in half, fill with sausage (or any other savory stuffing) and roast. Amazing.

Quarter or plank zucchini and slap it on the grill. 

Roasted pumpkin seeds are the best snack. 

On 12/5/2020 at 9:27 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Himalayan sea salt is great and needs to be in everyone's diet. 

On 12/6/2020 at 10:29 AM, jetsfan4life51 said:

Himalayan sea salt is way different than table salt.

😂 This is one of the better trolls I've seen on here in a long time

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Squash is severely under-rated. 

Spaghetti squash is a great vegan alternative to pasta. I love it with pesto.

Cube butternut squash, toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and gochgaru. Roast until starting to caramelize. Game changer.

Cut acorn squash in half, fill with sausage (or any other savory stuffing) and roast. Amazing.

Quarter or plank zucchini and slap it on the grill. 

Roasted pumpkin seeds are the best snack. 

Squash is life.  You cook butternut squash in chicken stock with a little cream and you get a sauce that tastes very cheesy.  Butternut squash is insanely healthy.

Spaghetti squash has almost no nutrients, but it has fiber, and is much lower in calories and carbs than any noodle.  I think people mess up by using it as a sub for wheat noodles when it does a much better job as a fake rice noodle.  I make a spaghetti squash pad thai on occasion, and it's solid.

13 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

😂 This is one of the better trolls I've seen on here in a long time

High fat high salt for your heart health is one of the more bizarre takes from the site's history.

And there are people on here that believed in Daniel Jones.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:53 AM, JoshstraDaymus said:

Hi guys!

So we are less than a month from the start of the new year. This always brings a change. Here’s what I’m doing.

My wife and my family don’t think I will last long at this, but I’m challenging myself to go vegetarian (maybe vegan) for the beginning of 2021. I’m HOPING to do this through the first quarter.

One big problem: I hate vegetables. I especially don’t like them cooked but there are many that I will eat raw.

What I need is your vegan/vegetarian recipes and meal ideas. I will update this challenge daily. I’m also hopeful this helps me lose some weight in case I need to get a heart transplant.

Please post some suggestions, and help! Maybe even ideas for if I go out to eat at some chain restaurants or if I order food.

Help me prove them wrong.

Eat this.  Its delicious. 

https://www.thekitchn.com/sweet-potato-curry-267050 

Instead of adopting a full vegan/vegetarian diet, why not go hybrid? This is what I have done for the last 2 years. I knew I was never going to be able to go full vegetarian and stick with it, so I decided to do the hybrid approach.

I generally found that I can eat meatless lunch 5 days a week and then a meatless dinner 1-2 times a week.

My suggestion is find what works for you. Don't try to pigeon hole yourself into just being vegan/vegetarian just to do so (unless you have a legit ethical/health reason to do so). 

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I can't wait for @JoshstraDaymus to come in here and say that he gave up on it over a year ago...

Meat Steak GIF by Beef. It's What's For Dinner.

Less than, but I’ve been steadily losing weight and I’m in the process for going in for bariatric sleeve. It’s more of an insurance policy to make sure my weight is good for if I need a transplant since there’s guidelines on hearts I can take.

I made it to about March, I got into Brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, celery, carrots, and I did a ton of salad.

17 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Less than, but I’ve been steadily losing weight and I’m in the process for going in for bariatric sleeve. It’s more of an insurance policy to make sure my weight is good for if I need a transplant since there’s guidelines on hearts I can take.

I made it to about March, I got into Brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, celery, carrots, and I did a ton of salad.

Yeah, going all in on a drastically new diet almost never works. At least not long term.

But congrats on losing weight and eating healthier. That’s the way to go for long term health.

Doctors and mainstream media do not go to school for nutrition.  

I’ll be the first to say that some of this dude’s advice is super bro sciency, but he’s not wrong here.

I mean, it wasn’t that long ago fat was vilified for everything.  Food was healthy if it was low fat in the 90’s. Eggs raised your cholesterol. Orange juice was healthy.

Then it was ok to eat some fats, like nuts and olive oil and such because “Mediterranean diet”.

Well then studies showed very little correlation between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.  So much for those eggs killing you…

The of course they found that perhaps it wasn’t just unsaturated fat that was ok, but perhaps saturated fat may be alright.

I’m not saying everything he says is correct, if we’re being honest I think it’s pretty clear we don’t know nearly as much about nutrition as we think we do, but this particular statement isn’t wrong.

I also think we need to acknowledge that perhaps different people respond to different foods differently. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I also think we need to acknowledge that perhaps different people respond to different foods differently. 

My mom identifies as non celiac gluten free gluten intolerant and it's infuriating for what it's worth

• Like 1