Jump to content

The Broncos Ownership Situation


Recommended Posts

I think we need our own thread for this. News doesn't come out on this matter with a great deal frequency, but it is something that is hanging over the entire franchise at all times.

I would suggest pinning this to the top of the page but this isn't my forum anymore so I'll leave that decision up to @Counselor

Here are a few pieces of news that have come out recently for us to peruse and discuss should the desire be there. 

This first one from two days ago regarding the lawsuit filed by Mr. B's two oldest children that was originally supposed to receive hearing in Arapahoe County Court on Sept. 1 has been pushed back to, wait for it, July 12, 2021. 

The second one, also from Klis, came out this morning reporting on a statement released by the oldest two Bowlen daughters who are, along with Mr. B's brother, are behind the lawsuit against the Trust. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat was a great owner, but his succession plan was absolutely terrible. I don't see any way this doesn't eventually end in a sale, which I think would ultimately be a good thing. Of course there's potential for a Dan Snyder, but I think I'd take that risk over what feels like a dead end with the Bowlen kids. I look at what Tepper has done in Carolina so far, paying any cost for coaches and having no problem putting cash in escrow, and I want that. This has always been more of a "mom and pop" style ownership with less financial resources than the majority of the league but Pat made up for it by spending out of his pocket. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Pat was a great owner, but his succession plan was absolutely terrible. I don't see any way this doesn't eventually end in a sale, which I think would ultimately be a good thing. Of course there's potential for a Dan Snyder, but I think I'd take that risk over what feels like a dead end with the Bowlen kids. I look at what Tepper has done in Carolina so far, paying any cost for coaches and having no problem putting cash in escrow, and I want that. This has always been more of a "mom and pop" style ownership with less financial resources than the majority of the league but Pat made up for it by spending out of his pocket. 

Ownership is a massive competitive advantage in pro sports. It's our current issue #1. Hard for me to get too worked about about anything else until this gets sorted out. The history of this team and the fanbase deserves better

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if a succession happens to one of the Bowlen kids, the litigation, controversy, etc wouldn't end there and would last a while. I'm surprised the league hasn't stepped in yet and anticipate it would be soon.  

Have to think there are already groups being organized to try and bid on the team though.. I wish the league would allow Marc Cuban to own a team (beyond having multiple teams in different states, etc.). He is the ideal type of owner, one that is invested because he enjoys the sport and competitiveness. Other names that have actually come up are Bezos (my hesitation on him would be how invested he is in football vs using it as marketing). There is a Denver native lawyer? Attorney? but his name eludes me. Any other rumored names?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Even if a succession happens to one of the Bowlen kids, the litigation, controversy, etc wouldn't end there and would last a while. I'm surprised the league hasn't stepped in yet and anticipate it would be soon.  

Have to think there are already groups being organized to try and bid on the team though.. I wish the league would allow Marc Cuban to own a team (beyond having multiple teams in different states, etc.). He is the ideal type of owner, one that is invested because he enjoys the sport and competitiveness. Other names that have actually come up are Bezos (my hesitation on him would be how invested he is in football vs using it as marketing). There is a Denver native lawyer? Attorney? but his name eludes me. Any other rumored names?

The name I have heard mentioned is Robert F. Smith, a hedge fund billionaire and a Denver native.

Added benefit, not that it matters a wit to me but it does to some, including the league itself, is he is an African American and the league would love the optics of having a minority owner. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Smith_(investor)

 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The name I have heard mentioned is Robert F. Smith, a hedge fund billionaire and a Denver native.

Added benefit, not that it matters a wit to me but it does to some, including the league itself, is he is an African American and the league would love the optics of having a minority owner. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Smith_(investor)

 

He would be a great, except that he's involved in a massive tax scandal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol yeah, there was some discussion about Smith last year but the most recent thing I heard was the tax evasion stuff. Then again, Steve Cohen’s ownership of the Mets was approved after being hammered for insider trading. These things rarely stick to the mega-wealthy, they pay the fines and move on and everyone forgets. 

Any billionaires who have directly expressed interest? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t think the tax evasion scandal would be dismiss Smith’s ability to get approved to buy the team. It’s a PR problem, yes, but if fans want this mess behind them and Smith (or whomever) seems to be the guy to do it they won’t care a wit. 

I'm just afraid because he got caught. What if he needs to bend the rules on salary cap situations? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

An NFL team is just a perfect example of the rich getting richer. It's a slam dunk, can't fail purchase when you buy any franchise, never mind one that has sold out season tickets for the last however many years.

The queue is going to be big to buy this franchise. Anyone other than a scumbag like Jeff Bezos would be lovely. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

An NFL team is just a perfect example of the rich getting richer. It's a slam dunk, can't fail purchase when you buy any franchise, never mind one that has sold out season tickets for the last however many years.

The queue is going to be big to buy this franchise. Anyone other than a scumbag like Jeff Bezos would be lovely. 

 

it's really the best purchase because you only have to compete with 31 other franchises for fans that are usually local folks. The thing with Pat was that he also liked winning so unlike owners like let's say the Montforts who capped spending when they didn't need to, Pat laid everything on the line. I hope we can find an owner who wants the money and the trophied. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

it's really the best purchase because you only have to compete with 31 other franchises for fans that are usually local folks. The thing with Pat was that he also liked winning so unlike owners like let's say the Montforts who capped spending when they didn't need to, Pat laid everything on the line. I hope we can find an owner who wants the money and the trophied. 

But that's just it - you don't ever have to worry about making a profit because the league revenue is shared amongst each franchise. There is also a significant floor of how much money you have to spend so no NFL owner is cheap.

Even if you don't gets fans in the stands (*cough* Chargers) it doesn't matter from an investment stand point. The teams are still incredibly profitable.

I don't think 'caring about winning' is necessarily the best criteria. Jerry Jones wants to win. The Johnson family wants to win. But because of this, they meddle. These billionaires have been so successful in their business career that they think they know what it takes to run an NFL team with a successful onfield product. News flash - the vast majority don't.

The best owners hire the best people to get the best field on the product, rather than attempt to make the player acquisition calls themselves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • AnAngryAmerican changed the title to The Broncos Ownership Situation

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...