The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

17 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

So Brittany would basically if only be CEO for mailbox money & Peyton would run the show?

I kinda doubt that. I don’t know anything about how the organizational dynamics and psychology would work but I suspect that it would be a partnership but Brittany would be a lot more than just a woman in a business suit. 

I think Brittany would be so empowered, both legally and mentally/emotionally, she would act as an empowered owner (as well she should). But would also get that Peyton, his family and investors would wired considerable power. 

I have nothing but love for what Elway has done for the org.  I still only have 3 jerseys and his OC and new era blue #7 are 2 of them.  

But if it’s a choice between the 2 as a better owner I’d support Peyton hands down. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

Woody has been very clued in on this stuff for a long time. His sources and knowledge on this matter are extremely legit. 

Owners can bid, the sellers can accept or reject an offer but then the league must approve. Now, billionaires usually refrain from telling other billionaires what to do, (usually because everyone that rich has skeletons they don’t want out), so rejecting a qualified buyer is unlikely absent major problems. That said, I do know the league at large would LOVE the Mannings to be part of an ownership group. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Woody has been very clued in on this stuff for a long time. His sources and knowledge on this matter are extremely legit. 

If you want to talk about true team insiders Woody's kind of the "Gold Standard". Been covering the Bronco's since I was in High School and is an occasional golf partner of Elway.

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Peyton and John competing. Yeah, this won’t get ugly.

I thought I read last night that Elway and Manning may form a group to purchase.  Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like they would both own the the Broncos, which only seems fitting. I mean if Lacob and Guber can make it work, I would think Elway and Manning could, too.

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Someone with deep pockets that doesn't want to interfere would be nice, but I just don't want anyone with huge ethical concerns (looking at you Bezos, you tax dodging, poor salary paying arsehole).

Being owned by Pat Bowlen was something to be proud of as a fan.

Yes, George. Big yes. Cheering for ‘the good guys’ means something to me. In this day and age, I’m not sure there is such a thing as a good billionaire, but someone who’s not explicitly evil would be nice. 

• Like 6

If the league has any say, they'll find a way to shoehorn the Manning clan into an ownership role here. I wouldn't mind it, to be completely honest with you, but I do think having "business people" in the room will be important.

The owner needs to have money which will allow the Broncos to spend. It's just the reality of the league these days. I hope the Broncos end up with owners like the Milwaukee Bucks (NBA champs, if anyone was wondering 😄) have. They don't meddle, they've empowered the GM, paid for players that took the team to the promised land, developed the arena/downtown district. That's the type of ownership outlook I'd like to see for Denver.

• Like 3

Woody said on Twitter, in the feed you have to read through, that Robert F Smith isn’t one of the 6 bidders for the team. His was a name I heard mentioned frequently over the last few years so I found that surprising. Phillip Anschultz (sp?) also isn’t among the 6. But both Elway and Peyton are part of each group.  Neither would be the “majority” owner but both very well could be the “primary” owner, I.e. President of the General Partner. 

Maybe it’s hope but I have a gut feeling it’s going to be the Manning Family. I read somewhere that one reason neither Peyton or Eli took salary discounts during their careers the way Brady did was to work to accumulate enough raw capital to eventually be part of an ownership group. It’s estimated the two of them have combined career earnings from NFL and endorsements of around $650 million. We also have to remember that Cooper as well as Archie & Olivia aren’t exactly hurting for money either given their successes in the private sector. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Woody said on Twitter, in the feed you have to read through, that Robert F Smith isn’t one of the 6 bidders for the team. His was a name I heard mentioned frequently over the last few years so I found that surprising. Phillip Anschultz (sp?) also isn’t among the 6. But both Elway and Peyton are part of each group.  Neither would be the “majority” owner but both very well could be the “primary” owner, I.e. President of the General Partner. 

Maybe it’s hope but I have a gut feeling it’s going to be the Manning Family. I read somewhere that one reason neither Peyton or Eli took salary discounts during their careers the way Brady did was to work to accumulate enough raw capital to eventually be part of an ownership group. It’s estimated the two of them have combined career earnings from NFL and endorsements of around $650 million. We also have to remember that Cooper as well as Archie & Olivia aren’t exactly hurting for money either given their successes in the private sector. 

I agree with you Dan. I also believe I read that the NFL changed/tweaked some of the capital requirements for team ownership this year. I'll see if I can find that article. If that is true, it would definitely signal that the Manning ownership group would be in a better position. Not to mention Peyton's wife is part of the Grizzlies ownership team so there's some team ownership familiarity there.

I would also think if the Manning bid does win, Elway will somehow be a part of the organization. They aren't gonna freeze the guy out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with you Dan. I also believe I read that the NFL changed/tweaked some of the capital requirements for team ownership this year. I'll see if I can find that article. If that is true, it would definitely signal that the Manning ownership group would be in a better position. Not to mention Peyton's wife is part of the Grizzlies ownership team so there's some team ownership familiarity there.

I would also think if the Manning bid does win, Elway will somehow be a part of the organization. They aren't gonna freeze the guy out.

I’m sure Elway would be invited for a board of directors type role or something. From what I’ve heard/read, Elway is ready for retirement and some have said even if Elway’s group wins the bid he is unlikely to have a day to day role. It’s speculation but I think well-grounded. 

• Like 2