The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

But that's just it - you don't ever have to worry about making a profit because the league revenue is shared amongst each franchise. There is also a significant floor of how much money you have to spend so no NFL owner is cheap.

Even if you don't gets fans in the stands (*cough* Chargers) it doesn't matter from an investment stand point. The teams are still incredibly profitable.

I don't think 'caring about winning' is necessarily the best criteria. Jerry Jones wants to win. The Johnson family wants to win. But because of this, they meddle. These billionaires have been so successful in their business career that they think they know what it takes to run an NFL team with a successful onfield product. News flash - the vast majority don't.

The best owners hire the best people to get the best field on the product, rather than attempt to make the player acquisition calls themselves.

Yeah, I had this conversation at a bar with a guy who did "sports economics" and I was like (first I was like f***ck how did I miss this as a career option as my major was economics) but he said that you profit no matter what in sports because there is really no competition.  If you own just about any other business you have thousands of competitors for market share.  But if you own a sports franchise, especially an NFL franchise, who is the competition?  The XFL? The AAF?  They all try and then burn out in flames.  

There was a great Sunday Morning story about a guy who bought the Savannah Bananas, a minor league baseball team that was actually failing, but he talked about how quickly he was able to turn it around.  He basically said the reason it was failing was that the franchise was just poorly managed.  I know that the guy who invented the dog shock collar lives in Knoxville, TN and he is bringing, or has brought a minor league baseball team there because he will make more with that team than sales from his shock collar.  

If I ever come into some huge money I am all for acquiring some kind of sports franchise...I'd even buy a soccer team even though I don't follow it that much.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Once they sell or find the next owner...I would like to start moving towards this philosophy of a younger coach.  It just makes sense. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/04/brandon-staley-next-sean-mcvay-head-coach-candidate

My philosophy (which has shifted recently) is this. Unless you have a bonafide top 7-8 QB, you should only look to hire a offensive minded HC.

A great offensive coach/system can maximize talent on the most important side of the ball in the new age league. For example, Shanny Jr. The only elite talent they have on that offensive side is Kittle and Trent Williams. Yet, he is able to field a top 10 offensive unit. Garrapolo is an average QB but Shanny's scheme is able to make the most of that offense. The philosophy should be, identify a great offensive mind, allow him to control the offense, and draft/sign elite defensive players to make up for deficiencies on that side, allowing the offensive mind to be creative in maximizing his less talented offense. Additionally, with more teams looking for offensive coaches, it allows you to keep your defensive coordinator (if they are a very good coach) for longer. Look at Saleh or Martindalle for example. You'll ultimately get more stability and retain talented coaches easier this way.

A great defensive coach/system can play up his defense, but has little influence on how well his offense performs and ultimately the team plays. For example, Fangio has done an AMAZING job with our extremely depleted defense. We have a top 10 defense because of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a star QB to make up for our offensive woes. Another example is Belichik who was amazing with Brady but this year his team is under .500. If the offense does well, those coaches get snatched up very quickly and then you're left with constant turnover that the offense needs to accommodate. Ex. LaFleur, Pederson, Kingsbury, etc etc. 

I know there are exceptions to some of my examples, but I think it would be in our best interest to search for that offensive mastermind than a defensive mastermind, as good as Brandon Staley might be. Let someone else take their chance on him, fire him because his offense doesn't do well, then hire him at that point as our DC. 

One last point is: How many OCs have been hired as a HC, fired, then rehired as a HC (Adam Gase, Reid, Arians, McCarthy, Gruden +++) How many failed defensive HC's have been rehired? (Ron Rivera, John Fox, have to think very hard to come up with any more...) 

• Like 3

On 12/4/2020 at 3:36 PM, grizmo78 said:

My philosophy (which has shifted recently) is this. Unless you have a bonafide top 7-8 QB, you should only look to hire a offensive minded HC.

A great offensive coach/system can maximize talent on the most important side of the ball in the new age league. For example, Shanny Jr. The only elite talent they have on that offensive side is Kittle and Trent Williams. Yet, he is able to field a top 10 offensive unit. Garrapolo is an average QB but Shanny's scheme is able to make the most of that offense. The philosophy should be, identify a great offensive mind, allow him to control the offense, and draft/sign elite defensive players to make up for deficiencies on that side, allowing the offensive mind to be creative in maximizing his less talented offense. Additionally, with more teams looking for offensive coaches, it allows you to keep your defensive coordinator (if they are a very good coach) for longer. Look at Saleh or Martindalle for example. You'll ultimately get more stability and retain talented coaches easier this way.

A great defensive coach/system can play up his defense, but has little influence on how well his offense performs and ultimately the team plays. For example, Fangio has done an AMAZING job with our extremely depleted defense. We have a top 10 defense because of him. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a star QB to make up for our offensive woes. Another example is Belichik who was amazing with Brady but this year his team is under .500. If the offense does well, those coaches get snatched up very quickly and then you're left with constant turnover that the offense needs to accommodate. Ex. LaFleur, Pederson, Kingsbury, etc etc. 

I know there are exceptions to some of my examples, but I think it would be in our best interest to search for that offensive mastermind than a defensive mastermind, as good as Brandon Staley might be. Let someone else take their chance on him, fire him because his offense doesn't do well, then hire him at that point as our DC. 

One last point is: How many OCs have been hired as a HC, fired, then rehired as a HC (Adam Gase, Reid, Arians, McCarthy, Gruden +++) How many failed defensive HC's have been rehired? (Ron Rivera, John Fox, have to think very hard to come up with any more...) 

not to mention many of RIvera and Fox teams were run run pass punt offenses.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, grizmo78 said:

Agree with this. The other thing to note is that if you gamble and get lucky and hire a QB coach who turns out to be a great OC for you, it’s only a matter of time before he gets hired away to be someone’s head coach. I know it didn’t work for us at the time, but having the hot shot OC as HC in Josh McDaniels and the DC with HC experience in Mike Nolan is a model I would look at replicating. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Agree with this. The other thing to note is that if you gamble and get lucky and hire a QB coach who turns out to be a great OC for you, it’s only a matter of time before he gets hired away to be someone’s head coach. I know it didn’t work for us at the time, but having the hot shot OC as HC in Josh McDaniels and the DC with HC experience in Mike Nolan is a model I would look at replicating. 

Yeah. And if the Hindenburg would have been filled with inert helium instead of extremely flammable hydrogen it wouldn’t have blown up over New Jersey. 

Oh the humanity!

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah. And if the Hindenburg would have been filled with inert helium instead of extremely flammable hydrogen it wouldn’t have blown up over New Jersey. 

Oh the humanity!

I gotta tell ya, you're getting pretty entertaining as you age.

• Like 2

This isn’t groundbreaking and I’m sure a few teams will want to hire him, but Joe Brady with the skill talent we have could be a great fit. The Panthers have a below average QB in Bridgewater, their star RB has missed all but 3 games and the OL sucks, and they’re still top 10 in DVOA and yards per play. If you want to take a swing on the next young offensive wunderkind, he’s either going in this hiring cycle or the next one. 

30 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

This isn’t groundbreaking and I’m sure a few teams will want to hire him, but Joe Brady with the skill talent we have could be a great fit. The Panthers have a below average QB in Bridgewater, their star RB has missed all but 3 games and the OL sucks, and they’re still top 10 in DVOA and yards per play. If you want to take a swing on the next young offensive wunderkind, he’s either going in this hiring cycle or the next one. 

Agreed.  I like Arthur Smith in Tennessee as well.  I don’t know that he’s the X’s and O’s coach as some others, but I like his background. 

Played OL.  Experience coaching on both sides of the ball.  I think he’s done a really good job as OC in Tennessee.  He’s coached under John Bunting, Joe Gibbs, Jim Zorn, Houston Nutt, Mike Munchak, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, and Mike Vrabel. 

His dad is the founder of FedEx and is worth $6 billion, maybe he’ll want to buy the team.

Edited by germ-x

Sadly, I don't see us innovating offensively until Elway and the current cast of characters are out of the building. Elway, for all the things he's done right, does not seem relatively eager to embrace more innovation offensively (be that in the form of more mobile QBs, innovative OCs, etc..), instead embracing the retread model of Pat Shurmur, Kubiak, etc... These are safe moves- that doesn't necessarily make them bad, but they are safe. I don't see Elway evolving this philosophy because he appears to be set in his ways with his pre-conceived notions of what a QB in the NFL can/should be and how an offense should be run.

• Like 1