The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

According to the gazzett, we are down to Walton and Harris (who I guess is a Co managing owner of the 76ers). Walton allegedly wants to build a new stadium which would be nice. Idk if I'm in love with either of them though. I guess time will tell

On 5/9/2022 at 6:30 AM, Dbrog24 said:

According to the gazzett, we are down to Walton and Harris (who I guess is a Co managing owner of the 76ers). Walton allegedly wants to build a new stadium which would be nice. Idk if I'm in love with either of them though. I guess time will tell

I'd support a new stadium if it could be utilized more than 8 days a year...such poor urban planning and a complete lack of vision.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

I'd support a new stadium if it could be utilized more than 8 days a year...such poor urban planning and a complete lack of vision.

We use our current one for a lot of things now though right? Concerts are pretty sweet at mile high and then they have those food or beer festivals and such. I do agree that it would be awesome for them to build up other fun stuff to do around the area. Sloans lake is pretty cool by there but ya...so much of the non-downtown part is residential

On 5/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, The Helicopter said:

I don't know why the old Mile High needed to go...it could have been rehabbed, while keeping the Mie High Mystique around, which let's face it, the Mistique came from the drunkards pounding on the metal bleachers in the South Stands.  They need to bring that back.  If I were the owner, that's what I'd do. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 5:19 PM, MileHigh said:

@AAA I came here to find out your opinion on the ownership finalists?

I think it's going to end up being Walton, simply because he can outbid anyone else. 

I guess I'm, at best, lukewarm about it. I mean I'm not a Walmart fan and the business was built by Sam Walton. So Robson hasn't really "built" anything of note, he's just inherited all of his wealth and then I guess steered the ship so to speak. That said, having an owner with deep pockets can be a good thing, a very good thing. At his age (he's in his 70s) he needs to have a solid succession plan in place so we're not back here again in a few years. So, whomever the heir(s) to his estate would be are, IMO, just as important as what Walton himself. 

• Like 2

Well, alright. Zero financial barriers to putting together a competitive team every year. Bring on the barrage of bonuses and restructures in the next few years and kick that dead money as far down the road as you can. This is such a huge advantage and we’ve never had that. 

54 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

Very curious to see what a new stadium might be like… seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Absolutely hate Walmart but it is what it is. As others have said at least the pockets are deep

As long as they don’t change the uni’s to Walmart blue I’ll live with a new stadium.  🤣

On a serious note IMO you have 3 traits the define ownership:

1.   Will they invest in facilities / staff that can help the team?  Or cheap out for the bottom line given the profits are there? 
Things like training / health recovery facilities make a big diff - will they invest the way Bowlen used to? 

2.   Will they stay hands off and not interfere with personnel / football decisions?   This is a big unknown.   

3.  Do they want to win titles more than max out profits?  Again an unknown.   Obviously they are running a business but sometimes spending more to get flags increases the overall value long-term.   

Walton’s pockets mean he won’t be hurting for cash.  But IMO 1-3 will define him (and his successor if it gets there) as an owner.   Pat Bowlen checked off all the boxes and also was a league visionary.   Time will tell where Walton stands.  But at least the days of the trust and Joe Ellis are done.  We weren’t getting back to our peak years with that in place.  

Edited by Broncofan

22 hours ago, Zukhyubern said:

Very curious to see what a new stadium might be like… seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point. 

Absolutely hate Walmart but it is what it is. As others have said at least the pockets are deep

My Broncos beat reporter friend seems to think that given Walton's relationship with the Kroenkes - Robson Walton's sister, Ann, is Stan Kroenke's wife - that the new stadium will be actually remain downtown and be built on the Eliches lot adjacent to Ball Arena (where the Avs and Nuggets play for those of you who live out of state) as part of "River Mile Development Project." 

The other thought is that the new stadium will be built out east near the DIA, which I would prefer as someone who lives in NoCo and HATES going to downtown Denver. If they built it out by the airport it's much less stressful drive since you can just jump on E470 and shoot out east. 

On 6/6/2022 at 12:56 PM, Zukhyubern said:

Building a new "city" for the stadium sucks. Invesco is 20 years old and having a stadium downtown is culture. I'm pretty bummed about those rumors.

One thing I have thought about before is how much backlash Walmart has received compared to Amazon in the US lol. I'm almost certain Walmart treats their employees better than Amazon although both have destroyed a lot of small biz in the US

NOT that I am defending Walmart and these rich sickos, I haven't been to a WM in like a decade 

Edited by champ11
  • Like 1

Denver fan John Davis wrote an article posted on 104.3 The Fan about going back to the old uniforms:

https://denverfan.com/2098836/the-idea-of-going-back-to-the-old-broncos-uniforms-is-a-misguided-one/

I agree, but I think the Broncos need new uniforms (with orange helmets). From what I understand, they changed to the current ones in 1997 because Bowlen was thinking about moving the team (before the stadium was official). They did win SB's in them, but they also lost one, and they have had some of their biggest playoff droughts in recent history in those unis as well.