The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Sadly, I don't see us innovating offensively until Elway and the current cast of characters are out of the building. Elway, for all the things he's done right, does not seem relatively eager to embrace more innovation offensively (be that in the form of more mobile QBs, innovative OCs, etc..), instead embracing the retread model of Pat Shurmur, Kubiak, etc...

To be fair we’re only one season removed from Rich Scangarello

The more news that comes out, the more it seems likely DEN will stay the course until the ownership situation is resolved.   

On the one hand, I don't think Fangio/Shurmur is going to work with Lock.   On the other hand, new ownership in 2022's offseason would almost certainly clean house if we get more of what we see now in 2021.  Ugh.

2 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The new owners couldn't move us and rename us, could they? We haven't changed owners in my life time and I don't really pay attention to ownership changes.

Not a chance. No one smart enough to make enough money to buy an NFL franchise would be stupid enough to abandon a market that has sold out it's home games for over half a century, regardless of team quality. Abandoning the Denver market would qualify those responsible for "Darwin Awards".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Not a chance. No one smart enough to make enough money to buy an NFL franchise would be stupid enough to abandon a market that has sold out it's home games for over half a century, regardless of team quality. Abandoning the Denver market would qualify those responsible for "Darwin Awards".

I think I heard the Broncos are the 11th most valuable team in sports.  I would say that among all sport franchises that is pretty good.  I mean, we freaked when they changed the logo.

42 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think I heard the Broncos are the 11th most valuable team in sports.  I would say that among all sport franchises that is pretty good.  I mean, we freaked when they changed the logo.

Wouldn't surprise me. They're the local team for about 5 states, no competition, with a somewhat rabid fan base. Sounds like an owners dream.

I think you'd also need the NFL's permission to move the franchise with a few good reasons to do so. I doubt they'd ever allow abandoning this market no matter the owner wanted.

Edited by AKRNA

4 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The new owners couldn't move us and rename us, could they? We haven't changed owners in my life time and I don't really pay attention to ownership changes.

I don’t know how long the lease at Mile High is, but I do remember there being significant plans to develop the land around the stadium in the near future. The team’s not going anywhere. 

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

11th most valuable in the NFL, at $3B. 

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I don’t know how long the lease at Mile High is, but I do remember there being significant plans to develop the land around the stadium in the near future. The team’s not going anywhere. 

11th most valuable in the NFL, at $3B. 

An absolute snip at $3b. Easiest investment you could possibly imagine for those with the money.

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

An absolute snip at $3b. Easiest investment you could possibly imagine for those with the money.

Right. It pisses me off that Kroenke doesn't poor more money into the nuggets and avalanche bc he bought the two teams + pepsi center in 2000 for like under 500m. The valuation on all that is so much bigger at this point. Not that it is cash flow, but you get the point about the investment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Right. It pisses me off that Kroenke doesn't poor more money into the nuggets and avalanche bc he bought the two teams + pepsi center in 2000 for like under 500m. The valuation on all that is so much bigger at this point. Not that it is cash flow, but you get the point about the investment

Just watched ‘Capital in the 21st Century’ on Netflix last night. Highly recommend.

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Just watched ‘Capital in the 21st Century’ on Netflix last night. Highly recommend.

will do. we love docs in our household ..

random, but if anyone has any good podcast recs let me know. i am trying to not only think about sports lol 

On 12/9/2020 at 9:06 AM, champ11 said:

will do. we love docs in our household ..

random, but if anyone has any good podcast recs let me know. i am trying to not only think about sports lol 

What are you interested in? I have an hour commute every day so I listen to A LOT of podcasts. Most of them are medical but here are some others:

random topics: omnibus, Art of manliness 

leadership: jocko podcast, MCTI podcast, SOFCast

history: hardcore history, martyrmade

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to the story about the NFL’s new fine policy for teams that do not have a controlling owner. It also further details, in broad strokes, the whole situation. It’s a must-read for everyone. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-broncos/nfl/broncos/news/new-nfl-ownership-policy-could-have-major-impact-on-broncos

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here is a link to the story about the NFL’s new fine policy for teams that do not have a controlling owner. It also further details, in broad strokes, the whole situation. It’s a must-read for everyone. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-broncos/nfl/broncos/news/new-nfl-ownership-policy-could-have-major-impact-on-broncos

Thx for sharing this.  Most of this is new to me so it helps to understand some of the questionable decisions recently.  I didn't realize how much of a disadvantage it is to have ownership instability.  The incentives for the FO are all out of alignment (Fangio + Elway NEED 2021 to go well - maybe at all costs, escrow makes acquisitions and extensions difficult, difficult/impossible to bring talent into the braintrust when they don't know they'll survive the ownership change, etc.) and that uncertainty ripples through the organization.  Winning in the NFL is hard enough if everyone is on the same page - almost impossible when they're not.

As we hear more about DET turning the page, bringing in a new GM + HC and the appeal of having a blank slate, there seems to be more smoke about DET moving on from Stafford.  Separate of what we should do in the interest of the org long-term, pursuing someone like Stafford would make a lot of sense for Fangio + Elway given how important 2021 is.  Ending 2021 w/o some certainty at QB would be a disaster. Stafford is an immediate 5yr solution and that has to be tasty for two guys w/ their jobs on the line.