The Broncos Ownership Situation

AnAngryAmerican

6 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Thx for sharing this.  Most of this is new to me so it helps to understand some of the questionable decisions recently.  I didn't realize how much of a disadvantage it is to have ownership instability.  The incentives for the FO are all out of alignment (Fangio + Elway NEED 2021 to go well - maybe at all costs, escrow makes acquisitions and extensions difficult, difficult/impossible to bring talent into the braintrust when they don't know they'll survive the ownership change, etc.) and that uncertainty ripples through the organization.  Winning in the NFL is hard enough if everyone is on the same page - almost impossible when they're not.

As we hear more about DET turning the page, bringing in a new GM + HC and the appeal of having a blank slate, there seems to be more smoke about DET moving on from Stafford.  Separate of what we should do in the interest of the org long-term, pursuing someone like Stafford would make a lot of sense for Fangio + Elway given how important 2021 is.  Ending 2021 w/o some certainty at QB would be a disaster. Stafford is an immediate 5yr solution and that has to be tasty for two guys w/ their jobs on the line. 

Given what Stafford has meant to that franchise, if the Lions do move on, they will likely allow him his pick of suitors, so long as the compensation is roughly equal. I think the most likely suitor would be San Fran, where he would fit perfectly in Kyle's offense and where the coaching staff, front office and ownership is stable and the roster (when healthy) is Super Bowl caliber. It's the best fit both for Stafford himself as well as for a team that is a competent QB away from serious contention.

If the Lions just auction him off to the highest bidder and Elway throws them our No. 1 pick + more, maybe it's possible but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here is a link to the story about the NFL’s new fine policy for teams that do not have a controlling owner. It also further details, in broad strokes, the whole situation. It’s a must-read for everyone. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-broncos/nfl/broncos/news/new-nfl-ownership-policy-could-have-major-impact-on-broncos

Really makes a ton of sense looking back to our free agency... Trading for Casey and Bouye keeps us from needing signing bonus money and we barely spent any money on top of that. For the crowd that is on board with moving on from Elway, does this change anything for you? Considering it sounds like he has been playing this handicapped. 

10 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Really makes a ton of sense looking back to our free agency... Trading for Casey and Bouye keeps us from needing signing bonus money and we barely spent any money on top of that. For the crowd that is on board with moving on from Elway, does this change anything for you? Considering it sounds like he has been playing this handicapped. 

I’ve been hard on Elway, but never approved of Ellis...This is The End, He’s Got to Go!

15 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

While I’m not part of the “move on from Elway crowd” I can sympathize, to an extent, with their feelings.

Elway has made a lot of mistakes, some critical, but I also think he has had a proverbial hand tied behind his back especially since Peyton left. 

A few things that Elway gets grief for that I think aren’t unwarranted is the “win now” push that has undoubtedly come from Ellis, needing the extra revenue from prime time games, playoff games, etc and just general winning means he can charge sponsors more for marketing partnerships. 

Rich owners (and that’s obviously a VERY relative term) cab go through a few lean years of rebuilding and backfill out of their own pockets, paying FO/coaches more; paying more hard cash up front to lure free agents and not rely on the NFL’s revenue sharing check each year to make the team’s ends meet. We can’t do that as, while I’m sure Ellis’ compensation is considerable, he doesn’t have a few billion in the bank from which to draw funds. 

In short, the more and the sooner a team wins, the more money can reap from sponsors and generate from playoff games. When you’re on National TV every week and get two home playoff games each year (like we had during the Peyton years) you can charge your corporate partners an arm and a leg. When you’re a bottom-third team who’s the fourth regional on CBS each Sunday afternoon, those revenue streams are a lot smaller. 

To generate that revenue I know Ellis has been pushing the “win now” approach that has resulted in attempted bandaid fixes at QB post-Peyton and drafting for need. 

Other things that haven’t been Elway’s fault include Kubiak’s resignation, Peyton’s retirement, Ware’s retirement, injuries. Blame for the Vance hire lays at everyone’s feet, as does the Vic hire. Even in a perfect world, Kyle still may very well have opted for the SF job over ours. Who knows, but Ellis/Russell didn’t help matter, that is a fact. 

Elway, acting on his own, would likely brought back Mike Shanahan. Who knows how that would have worked out (I have my reservations, much I like and respect Mike) but it would have brought instant credibility, media/fanbase praise and locker room buy-in. Ellis put the kibosh on that. 

For the draft mistakes and free agency busts, those do lie at John’s feet. 

But also remember this, if you look at Broncos social media, comments pages on local media stories, listen to “average fans” they all blame Elway for everything. That’s what Ellis wants; he was/is willing to let Elway reap the benefits when things go well (e.g. after landing Peyton, gong to SB48 and winning SB50) but he will more readily let Elway take the blame when things go sideways, as they have for the last 4+ years.

Last thing Ellis wants is to be the face of the organization to the public, it’s why Elway will only leave the franchise when he is ready to. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The “win now” mandate while being hamstrung by both finances and personal issues between Ellis and Shanahan has to drive Elway nuts. 

I think that Ellis didn't like Shanahan because he didn't have much power when he was the coach. That's why he brought in McDaniels. He thought that Josh was an inexperienced young guy that he could push around. Didn't work out that way.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:58 PM, jsthomp2007 said:

Why doesn't Elway put a group together to buy the team?  He has done everything else as a Bronco.  Can you imagine him winning a Super Bowl as a player, GM, and as an owner...pretty cool. 

“Putting a group together” is what the NFL is legislating out of the league. Elway’s net worth ($150M) is only about 10% of the way towards having the 50% ownership share needed to run the team. 

8 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

“Putting a group together” is what the NFL is legislating out of the league. Elway’s net worth ($150M) is only about 10% of the way towards having the 50% ownership share needed to run the team. 

I am sure you can create an LLC where Elway is the managing member. 

14 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I think that Ellis didn't like Shanahan because he didn't have much power when he was the coach. That's why he brought in McDaniels. He thought that Josh was an inexperienced young guy that he could push around. Didn't work out that way.

Yeah I think it was Les Shapiro who reported that one of the things Ellis liked about Mac was that he was young and thus Ellis thought he would be easier to control than a more established coach, yet in the end Mac proved to be a bull in a China shop, completely uncontrollable and destroying everything around him. 

14 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If a partnership of some sort, like an investment group bought the team, that group can vote whomever has a stake in the group to be controlling owner, it’s not relative to how much funds are put up. 

George W Bush was part of the investment group that bought the Texas Rangers in the mid-1990s. I’m not sure on the specifics but he only put up like $500k but was named president of the General Partner. 

I’m not a lawyer but I am pretty well-versed in legal matters and, by my understanding of the NFL’s new policy, the organization is required to have one sole individual who acts as owner, with his/her voice being the final say on team matters and all things related to owner votes at league meetings.

Thus, conceivably, Elway could put up a few million, band together with a few others who then vote him controlling owner;  the others would, in effect, be silent partners. Bill Bowlen was a silent partner when Pat Bowlen owned the team. 

30 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Wasn't Manning being touted at one stage as head of a consortium to buy the team?

I actually trust his talent evaluation over Elway's.  It is amazing how he could remember who did what/in what situation in essentially every game he played.  

40 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

He also put in recommendations for Adam Gase though... 

Hiring Gase is the main reason NYJ is in the Lawrence sweepstakes.   And thus allows Elway to target Darnold, who he wanted in 2018.

Peyton is playing 4D chess there.

(No, I'm not being serious - but it's a fun narrative)